Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, just a plain old introduction here. An under-40 married technology worker from Northern Virginia, who's loved books all her life. I was seriously dubious about the Kindle, being big on physical books (my husband HATES it when we move!) and I'm an ex-part-time librarian, but all the glowing reviews (from the actual owners) convinced me to take the plunge. I've had my Kindle since February 08 - I used all my Amazon gift certificates from last Christmas to order it just after the New Year.

I've been using it "as intended" since then, reading up a storm and loving it, when I discovered the Amazon discussion boards last weekend. I was looking for a way to add Kindle books to my Wish List for Christmas (not possible, sadly), and found a post directing me here. Naturally, I had to sign up for the DecalGirl contest, so here I am!

Hi!

Love the boards - lots of good information and interesting discussions, hopefully I won't lose the bookmark! :) Kindle-wise, I have about 60 books on mine at the moment, no newspapers or blogs, and only one free book, although I am starting to look for more.

I prefer not to use the cover at all, and I use a Light Wedge reading light from ThinkGeek, in the paperback size for night-reading. (The Wedge fits perfectly over the screen, and doesn't disturb the hubby.) I only recently discovered how to make my own photos into Kindle screensavers, so I've been playing around with that since the weekend.

That's about it, so... hello everyone!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
Hello and Welcome!!  Glad to have you with us!  It's a great group of people and you came just in time for the DecalGirl/Kindle 1st Birthday celebration and contest.  I'm sure you'll enjoy this site as much as I do!  Any hobbies.... any pets... favorite recipes.... favorite books??  We have discussions for those topics too.... and much, much more!  Enjoy browsing and join right in!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome, this sure is a friendly bunch!  :)

As for hobbies / pets / books / etc, well, I'm working my way through the other discussions now, chiming in where I can.  Mainly, my hobbies are reading, computer games, and a distant third maybe... crafts - cross stitch and crochet, occasionally.  But those are REALLY rare, I have to be in a "mood", and / or on vacation with NOTHING else to do, heh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard Wavsite. Glad to have you here, and nice to meet you.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Hi wavsite, welcome. Good to have you here.

I've been using it "as intended" since then, reading up a storm and loving it, when I discovered the Amazon discussion boards last weekend. I was looking for a way to add Kindle books to my Wish List for Christmas (not possible, sadly), and found a post directing me here. Naturally, I had to sign up for the DecalGirl contest, so here I am!
Actually, you can add Kindle books to your wish list. If you are looking at the Kindle book page, click on the button to read all the reviews. When you do that, a button for the wish list miraculously appears.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,459 Posts
wavsite said:
Hey, just a plain old introduction here. An under-40 married technology worker from Northern Virginia, who's loved books all her life. I was seriously dubious about the Kindle, being big on physical books (my husband HATES it when we move!) and I'm an ex-part-time librarian, but all the glowing reviews (from the actual owners) convinced me to take the plunge. I've had my Kindle since February 08 - I used all my Amazon gift certificates from last Christmas to order it just after the New Year.

I've been using it "as intended" since then, reading up a storm and loving it, when I discovered the Amazon discussion boards last weekend. I was looking for a way to add Kindle books to my Wish List for Christmas (not possible, sadly), and found a post directing me here. Naturally, I had to sign up for the DecalGirl contest, so here I am!

Hi!

Love the boards - lots of good information and interesting discussions, hopefully I won't lose the bookmark! :) Kindle-wise, I have about 60 books on mine at the moment, no newspapers or blogs, and only one free book, although I am starting to look for more.

I prefer not to use the cover at all, and I use a Light Wedge reading light from ThinkGeek, in the paperback size for night-reading. (The Wedge fits perfectly over the screen, and doesn't disturb the hubby.) I only recently discovered how to make my own photos into Kindle screensavers, so I've been playing around with that since the weekend.

That's about it, so... hello everyone!
Hey, welcome, I'm also in Northern Virginia. I use a Lightwedge too, paperback, for the same reasons. My husband is REALLY light sensitive and any of the other lights bother him.

Would love to see some of your photos!

Betsy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,459 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
We Northern Virginia Kindlers ought to have a Kindle Klatch

Ann
It would be fun to have Koffee together. There's a really nice place just south of me, in Lorton, but we might be able to find something more central.

Betsy
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,556 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
It would be fun to have Koffee together. There's a really nice place just south of me, in Lorton, but we might be able to find something more central.

Betsy
I admit to being nothing more than an idea person. Someone else gets to organize :) . . .but there are lots of places in Arlington, Upper Alexandria, Falls Church, and Annandale as well. Still I'd probably be willing to go as far south as the Occoquan and west to Vienna . . . give or take.

Ann
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Leslie said:
Actually, you can add Kindle books to your wish list. If you are looking at the Kindle book page, click on the button to read all the reviews. When you do that, a button for the wish list miraculously appears.
Oooh, thanks! I kept reading on the big long discussion list at Amazon that you couldn't do that... but then, a lot of those posts are very VERY old. I made it all the way through the thread (48 pages I think), before coming over here.

So now I have to look around these boards and see if anyone has answered the question - if it's on your Wish List, does that mean someone can buy it for you? I'd love to have a few Kindle books on my Christmas list.

Although... that kind of ruins the surprise. As soon as I enable wireless they'd download, no waiting until Christmas Eve / Day. Hmmm... maybe that's a bad plan for the regular wish list. I can put items on my "private" lists though, so that's useful!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
People can't buy Kindle books for you so like Angela said, the best approach are gift cards. When you send a thank you note, just say, "I bought X with the card you gave me. It's been on my wish list for months and I'm so happy I can read it now!"

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,465 Posts
Weeelllllllcome!! Oooh...another "under-forty" to pick on YAY!! Kidding...Welcome.

Never EVER listen to anything Teninx tells you; he'd sell jewelry to his own wife ;)
Teninx would be upset if I didn't break in the newbie boards members; ask him about his tin foil hat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
PraiseGod13 said:
Hello and Welcome!! Glad to have you with us! It's a great group of people and you came just in time for the DecalGirl/Kindle 1st Birthday celebration and contest. I'm sure you'll enjoy this site as much as I do! Any hobbies.... any pets... favorite recipes.... favorite books?? We have discussions for those topics too.... and much, much more! Enjoy browsing and join right in!!!
That sums it up for me! Glad to have aboard. Have fun at your Kindle Klatch, that has got to be a fun event :D

Cheers,

Marci
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top