Kindle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Im new to this forum but a long time Amazon customer and Kindle user.
I like a lot of kindle users received Amazon’s email about old kindles. I do not use my kindle to purchase books or even surf the web. I do all that on my MacBook Pro, then have them delivered to my kindle via the my Amazon on-line library. Will I still be able to do that after Aug 17th? Also will I still be able to borrow library books?

I don’t want to buy a new kindle. Myself and my kindle are very old school, its the 4 way controller, actual working page turner buttons, no touch screen and I love it. I tried a touch screen kindle for over 2 months and HATED it. The slightest touch sent my books to unknown pages which took a long time to find the correct page where I left off, sometimes I got thrown out of the book completely. If I fell asleep I couldn’t even remember what I last page read and it took me forever to find my spot which made the whole experience awful. My old school kindle does exactly what I want it to, I read books and thats it, no web surfing, no bells or whistles with really fantastic page turn buttons, I never get lost.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

·
Super Moderator
67,676 Posts
Had to look that up as I'd not received anything ... but then, I don't have any really old kindles left. My first one was a first gen one, but I traded up on that years ago. Turns out, Amazon is turning off the 'store' feature on older (Kindle Keyboard and earlier) devices as of that date.

It looks like you will still be able to buy and borrow books and use your kindle as you always have. Only you won't be able to do it directly from the device. Which, frankly, I pretty much never do anyway, so it wouldn't be a real hardship for me if I did still have an old one.

AND, if you rely on cell service for your 'wireless' feature, that's going away as well on older devices that used 2G/3G service as those networks are basically gone now -- no fault of Amazon's. If you have wifi on the device, it'll still work, and I would think you should still be able to transfer books via USB cable.

According to this Forbes article: Amazon Kindle: Is Yours About To Stop Working?, there are HUGE discounts (plus credit for books) available on new kindles if you are still using one of the older devices. In fact, if you still are using the original wedge shaped one, they'll GIVE you a free Oasis with cover.

I suspect the 'touch screen' kindle you tried and weren't happy with was the first one they made. There were a lot of 'errant page turn' complaints and now they use different touch screen technology. Phantom touch glitches are pretty much not an issue. Likely you'd be happy with the Oasis as the buttons are very nice for turning pages; you only need the touch screen for selecting books, etc. And newer devices have a lot of improved fonts, etc. for a good reading experience.

·
6,126 Posts
Interesting article. I finally persuaded myself to part with four older Kindles when I got my latest PW11 - I got cashback for them and a reduction on the new Kindle. But I wasn't able to trade in anything before my K3, so I still have a K2 and a KDXG, neither of which can still connect. I can download and transfer via USB.

I also still have two Voyages, both with 3G as well as wi-fi, which are mentioned in the article as being among those affected by this. I paid (a lot) extra for that 3G connectivity, despite the fact that Amazon still refer to it as "free". I don't suppose there'll be any recompense for the loss of a service I've paid for?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Had to look that up as I'd not received anything ... but then, I don't have any really old kindles left. My first one was a first gen one, but I traded up on that years ago. Turns out, Amazon is turning off the 'store' feature on older (Kindle Keyboard and earlier) devices as of that date.

It looks like you will still be able to buy and borrow books and use your kindle as you always have. Only you won't be able to do it directly from the device. Which, frankly, I pretty much never do anyway, so it wouldn't be a real hardship for me if I did still have an old one.

AND, if you rely on cell service for your 'wireless' feature, that's going away as well on older devices that used 2G/3G service as those networks are basically gone now -- no fault of Amazon's. If you have wifi on the device, it'll still work, and I would think you should still be able to transfer books via USB cable.

According to this Forbes article: Amazon Kindle: Is Yours About To Stop Working?, there are HUGE discounts (plus credit for books) available on new kindles if you are still using one of the older devices. In fact, if you still are using the original wedge shaped one, they'll GIVE you a free Oasis with cover.

I suspect the 'touch screen' kindle you tried and weren't happy with was the first one they made. There were a lot of 'errant page turn' complaints and now they use different touch screen technology. Phantom touch glitches are pretty much not an issue. Likely you'd be happy with the Oasis as the buttons are very nice for turning pages; you only need the touch screen for selecting books, etc. And newer devices have a lot of improved fonts, etc. for a good reading experience.
And the screen is so much better in the new Kindles! So much clearer and crisp. And they have a light. I hate the touch screen as well but I really like the Oasis.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Welcome to KBoards!

I tried a touch screen kindle for over 2 months and HATED it. The slightest touch sent my books to unknown pages which took a long time to find the correct page where I left off, sometimes I got thrown out of the book completely. If I fell asleep I couldn’t even remember what I last page read and it took me forever to find my spot which made the whole experience awful.
Some of the newer touchscreen Kindles have a feature that disable the touchscreen. Swiping turns the page but fingers touching it will not. The current generation Oasis and Paperwhite have this. I suspect the Basic Kindle has it as well but I don’t own that one so can’t check it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thank you so much for your reply Ann. When I got the email from Amazon they didnt really say that I could still use my online library to download books to my old kindle (I guess you have to read between the lines). But yes they threw a bunch of discounts my way. But I found other sites that stated this would be possible, which lead me to here. Im not sure how the library books would work, I will have to wait and see. If I cant borrow library books I may be forced into a new product, but dont know if that would be a kindle or Pocket book?

The touch screens Ive tried were the Fire HD, then the Oasis because of the page turn buttons, but the touch screen was still functional and I continued having problems. I do see that they now have a disable touch screen function that would need to be activated every time you turn on the kindle to read. Ive was laid off from my job then had to early retire and cant justify that cost at this time. But I will be saving up just in case. Im just a simple person who doesnt need all of the technology they push at us. Besides the more bells and whistles the more the battery life gets used. LOL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting article. I finally persuaded myself to part with four older Kindles when I got my latest PW11 - I got cashback for them and a reduction on the new Kindle. But I wasn't able to trade in anything before my K3, so I still have a K2 and a KDXG, neither of which can still connect. I can download and transfer via USB.

I also still have two Voyages, both with 3G as well as wi-fi, which are mentioned in the article as being among those affected by this. I paid (a lot) extra for that 3G connectivity, despite the fact that Amazon still refer to it as "free". I don't suppose there'll be any recompense for the loss of a service I've paid for?
Hello and thank you Linda for your reply. My kindle is from 2011 making it 12 years old, it has the wi-fi to which I directly download books from Amazon into it, its got the 4 way controller, page turn buttons and NO touch screen. Its perfect. Im just not a lover of the touch screen, I dont even have a smart phone, I have the old school flip phone and an 11 yr old MacBook Pro.. Its not that I dont like new technology, I just pick and choose where I really need it. IMHO companies race each other to see who can have the biggest toy on the market but sometimes simple is best. LOL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And the screen is so much better in the new Kindles! So much clearer and crisp. And they have a light. I hate the touch screen as well but I really like the Oasis.
Hi Samantha thanks for your reply. Im so glad Im not the only hater of the touch screen! Which Oasis do you have, Oasis 3- what generation? Ive been reading up on them again, I did actually buy the Oasis a few years ago because of the page turn buttons, but the touch screen was still functional and I continued having problems so returned it. I do see that they now have a disable touch screen function that would need to be activated every time you turn on the kindle to read. Do you have this type, does this function really work so If I touch the screen it doesnt jump? Im also looking at the Pocket Book products who have page turn buttons and boast of disabling the touch screen. Of course if I can send borrowed library books to my old 2011 kindle, I will continue to use it. I like to keep most things as simple as possible.

·
Super Moderator
67,676 Posts
Well, of course it's not really Amazon's fault that the 3G service is going away. And you do still have WiFi connectivity with it. But, no, since they're not even really supporting the Voyage any more (no more software updates) there's probably no recompense available. :(

The real hardship is for those with older devices from before they started including WiFi which I think came in with the 3rd gen Kindle keyboard. If you're still relying on cell service for your wireless connectivity, you're out of luck with those devices.

Agree: the screen and lighting system are greatly improved on newer devices. And, for me the touch screen just takes some getting used to. The texture of the screen means fingerprints aren't as obvious which is a good thing.

Some of the newer touchscreen Kindles have a feature that disable the touchscreen. Swiping turns the page but fingers touching it will not. The current generation Oasis and Paperwhite have this. I suspect the Basic Kindle has it as well but I don’t own that one so can’t check it.
You know, I saw that setting on my devices in the latest software, but could never figure out what exactly it did or why I'd want to turn OFF the touch screen. So that's good to know. I assume when you're not in a book, everything works normally? 'Cause otherwise you'd have a heck of a time choosing a book to read.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome to KBoards!

Hi Cardinal and thank you for your time. I really want the page turn buttons so If their disable touch screen function really works, It would be considered, Im still researching. But if I can still transfer books from my Amazon library and my public library to my old kindle I will be keeping it. I know the discounts they gave me only last till July so I would be losing them by waiting to see how it all works. So Its not a problem for me to buy a used or refurbished Oasis. Or just go back to old school books. Ive always loved the smell of old books in a library. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
67,676 Posts
Hi Samantha thanks for your reply. Im so glad Im not the only hater of the touch screen! Which Oasis do you have, Oasis 3- what generation? Ive been reading up on them again, I did actually buy the Oasis a few years ago because of the page turn buttons, but the touch screen was still functional and I continued having problems so returned it. I do see that they now have a disable touch screen function that would need to be activated every time you turn on the kindle to read. Do you have this type, does this function really work so If I touch the screen it doesnt jump? Im also looking at the Pocket Book products who have page turn buttons and boast of disabling the touch screen. Of course if I can send borrowed library books to my old 2011 kindle, I will continue to use it. I like to keep most things as simple as possible.
FWIW, if you have a WiFi kindle, that will still work just fine. It may even be the store will continue to work but if not, you can always shop by computer and still send things to your old kindle.

Note that books you purchase on Amazon will not be able to be easily loaded onto a reader from another company. Possibly, they can be converted to a compatible format, but that would require 3rd party software and if you need to remove DRM to do so, well, technically that's not allowed. Not that it can't be done... just creates new things to think about. :)

If you mostly read books borrowed from the library, Kobo is a good brand and they're library integration is pretty good, especially if there's only one you use. I have a Kobo for when a book I want to borrow only comes in ePub. The problem for me is I have 4 different libraries so I have to change which I'm connected to on the device before being able to download it to the Kobo. It's a bit of a pain and I admit that sometimes I decide I don't really want to read the book that badly. ::)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Amazon will only provide $5 to $10 for my old Kindles going back to Gen 2, Keyboard and Voyage. All have cellular connectivity. I have no idea who the better trade in values are for. My wife and are voracious readers and purchase a LOT of books. I guess that doesn't make any difference. :(

·
Super Moderator
67,676 Posts
Are you just going through the 'normal' trade in process?

Did you get an email (as the OP did) about the cell connectivity issue?

I suggest you contact them more directly and reference the article linked above with the larger credit amounts. Specifically the bit not quite halfway down the web page that says:

Here’s what the company told The Verge:

“For customers with Kindle (1st Generation), Amazon is offering a free Kindle Oasis (10th Generation) device and cover.

“Customers with Kindle (1st and 2nd Generation), Kindle DX (2nd Generation), and Kindle Keyboard (3rd Generation) can receive $70 off a new Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Oasis, plus $25 in ebook credits.

“Customers with Kindle Touch (4th Generation), Kindle Paperwhite (5th Generation, 6th Generation, and 7th Generation), Kindle Voyage (7th Generation), and Kindle Oasis (8th Generation) can receive $50 off a new Kindle Paperwhite or Kindle Oasis, plus $15 in ebook credits.”

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hi Cardinal and thank you for your time. I really want the page turn buttons so If their disable touch screen function really works, It would be considered, Im still researching. But if I can still transfer books from my Amazon library and my public library to my old kindle I will be keeping it. I know the discounts they gave me only last till July so I would be losing them by waiting to see how it all works. So Its not a problem for me to buy a used or refurbished Oasis. Or just go back to old school books. Ive always loved the smell of old books in a library. LOL.
Hi SunnySkyez. My Oasis‘s are not on the current software but a few versions back on 5.13.6, but I haven’t heard about the disable touchscreen feature changing on the current version. I just checked, and both 7” Oasis 2 and 3 have disable touchscreen. The original 6” Oasis does not have the feature.

i just tried disabling the touchscreen on the Oasis 3. The only way to turn the pages was the page turn buttons. Taps and swipes on the screen did not turn the page.

It sounds like you have the original Kindle basic. It is one of my favorite models but I haven’t used it in a long time. I’ve been wanting to use it again after I finish my current book, I’m curious to see how I like going back to it. The newer Kindles can add boldness to text and that feature allows me to use different fonts than the ones on the earlier models. Amazon has added more fonts that come with the newer Kindles and custom fonts can be added as well. I particularly like Amazon’s Bookerly.

As Ann in Arlington said, Amazon books should still be able to download over WiFi and Amazon books can be purchased on a computer, smart phone or tablet and sent to your Kindle. Library books should still work as well.

Books purchased from other stores might be in the wrong format and/or have DRM. Calibre is a program that converts formats on books that do not have DRM.

You know, I saw that setting on my devices in the latest software, but could never figure out what exactly it did or why I'd want to turn OFF the touch screen. So that's good to know. I assume when you're not in a book, everything works normally? 'Cause otherwise you'd have a heck of a time choosing a book to read.
I‘ve actually never disabled the touchscreen before so I just tried it. It can only be accessed inside a book and then while it is enabled you can’t leave the book.

The Oasis turns pages only with the page turn buttons, swiping on the screen does nothing. Of course the Paperwhite swipes to turn the page.

If you have a magnetic cover, closing it and then reopening returns the Kindle to normal. Without the magnetic cover, tap the power button twice.

To disable the touchscreen while inside a book tap the three dots on the upper right of the screen and then choose Disable Touchscreen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts