Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Thanks for the info. I just downloaded it at the current $6.39 price, as that seemed pretty reasonable for such a great book. Even though I've read it a couple times, I know I'll want to read it again, and I made the mistake of loaning my paperback copy to someone who proceeded to lose it.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I snatched this one up as soon as I saw it too!  It's a really great book, so if you're reading this and haven't read it, for $6.39 you can't beat it!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I've never read Pratchett or Gaimen, but based on the reviews of the DTB I went ahead and bought it.  The kindle version seems like a good price compared to the DTB copy.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Forster said:
I've never read Pratchett or Gaimen, but based on the reviews of the DTB I went ahead and bought it. The kindle version seems like a good price compared to the DTB copy.
It's hard for me to imagine anyone not loving it, but possibly those readers who just cannot do the "willing suspension of disbelief" thing might have a problem with it, and I suppose any deeply religious person who cannot take a joke might have trouble with it. But my 77-year-old mother loved it, my friend's 20-something daughter says it's her all-time favorite book, and it's somewhere in my top 10; so the odds ar good you'll like it, too!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I'd never heard of this, and Amazon has NO description or reviews! Barnes & Noble gives the following:

There is a distinct hint of Armageddon in the air. According to The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (recorded, thankfully, in 1655, before she blew up her entire village and all its inhabitants, who had gathered to watch her burn), the world will end on a Saturday. Next Saturday, in fact. So the armies of Good and Evil are amassing, the Four Bikers of the Apocalypse are revving up their mighty hogs and hitting the road, and the world's last two remaining witch-finders are getting ready to fight the good fight, armed with awkwardly antiquated instructions and stick pins. Atlantis is rising, frogs are falling, tempers are flaring. . . . Right. Everything appears to be going according to Divine Plan.

Except that a somewhat fussy angel and a fast-living demon - each of whom has lived among Earth's mortals for many millennia and has grown rather fond of the lifestyle - are not particularly looking forward to the coming Rapture. If Crowley and Aziraphale are going to stop it from happening, they've got to find and kill the Antichrist (which is a shame, as he's a really nice kid). There's just one glitch: someone seems to have misplaced him. . . .

First published in 1990, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's brilliantly dark and screamingly funny take on humankind's final judgment is back - and just in time - in a new hardcover edition (which includes an introduction by the authors, comments by each about the other, and answers to some still-burning questions about their wildly popular collaborative effort) that the devout and the damned alike will surely cherish until the end of all things.

Sounds like a good humorous read, so I think I'll download it tonight!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Sounds good, I will have to give it a try!  I love when Amazon adds more books to kindle. Just makes me happy with all the advancements.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
And if you like this you need to start reading Pratchett books!  I feel like it has his influence in it slightly more than Neil Gaiman's, but it's hard to say.  I enjoyed American Gods, but this book just feels way more Pratchett to me than it does anything I've read from Neil Gaiman.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I wasn't entirely sold on what I read in the sample, but from the description and recommendations here and elsewhere (several of my friends outside this board have spoken highly of it), I took the plunge. Can't go wrong for $6.39. At the very least, I know I won't hate it.

Edit: What I wrote makes it sound like I hated the sample. Not at all. I had fun with it. I didn't love, love, love it though. But like I said, I expect to really enjoy myself by the time it's all said and done because the premise sounds really great. This is a 400-page book, so I expect it will take time to really get going.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Figment said:
I have clicked and clicked my request, and it has finally happened: Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch has finally been released for the Kindle.

This book is really funny (Pratchett and Gaimen). You should try it.
Yay, bet your excited!!!!!! Congrats!!

How long did it take for it to be available on K?? How often did u go back and click? Just trying to get an idea how long I'd have to wait for certain bks to become available on K.

TIA!! ;)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
JUNEBUG5 said:
Yay, bet your excited!!!!!! Congrats!!

How long did it take for it to be available on K?? How often did u go back and click? Just trying to get an idea how long I'd have to wait for certain bks to become available on K.

TIA!! ;)
I don't think there's any "rule of thumb" for this. It all depends on if/when the copyright holder decides to make it available and goes through the process of generating the necessary files, decides on a price, and then submits it to Amazon. While most of Pratchett's books were already available and at least quite a few of Gaiman's, this one might have required a bit more "red tape" due to two different authors (and possibly two different agents) being involved.

·
Registered
104 Posts
NogDog said:
I don't think there's any "rule of thumb" for this. It all depends on if/when the copyright holder decides to make it available and goes through the process of generating the necessary files, decides on a price, and then submits it to Amazon. While most of Pratchett's books were already available and at least quite a few of Gaiman's, this one might have required a bit more "red tape" due to two different authors (and possibly two different agents) being involved.
ahh, I see....Thx for the info.... ;) hmm...guess I'll just keep clickin' haha! and see what happens...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Alright, I hate to spoil the party, but is anyone having a frustrating time reading this?

I like certain aspects, certain characters, but the book just seems to meander on and on and on.

Instead of being funny, it has become cloying and grating.

I want to drop it, but there's always just enough to keep me slogging through the text.

Anyone else feel this way?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
CS said:
Alright, I hate to spoil the party, but is anyone having a frustrating time reading this?

I like certain aspects, certain characters, but the book just seems to meander on and on and on.

I want to drop it, but there's always just enough to keep me slogging through the text.

To an extent. I've slogged through about 1/2 of it. It's not bad but hasn't really tripped my trigger yet either. I will finish it though.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
CS said:

Judging from the Amazon reviews, you are not alone. Though the large majority of readers give it 4 or 5 stars, if you read through the 1- and 2-star reviews you'll find a number of people with the same general reaction as yours.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the book and of Terry Pratchett, but of course there's no accounting for taste. I found the resolution of the book to be very satisfying, so I'd say finish it if it's not too tough a row to hoe for you. But if you aren't enjoying it, well, not everyone digs that type of humor (or I guess in this case, "humour" :) ).

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I am wondering how much of the enjoyment of it comes from people who are already Pratchett fans and familiar with the characters.  While it's certainly not a direct sequel and not even set in Discworld (though not all PRatchett books are) and not even particularly driven by already introduced characters, there are a few like Death who are prominent across most of his novels.  I am sure there are a lot of inside jokes and expressions we've become used to as Pratchett fans that make it a delight to read but might be totally lost on someone just starting with his books.  He's kind of good at introducing concepts and then bringing them up subtly a half dozen books later without really explaining what it means... which is one of the reasons I think I like him so much.  He doesn't dumb his writing down, but then again he can lose new readers who jump in midstream when he does it too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts