Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out, you guys may be quicker on the uptake, that you can join the NY public library for 100 a year (non residents, free for residents) and download mobi books. This is not a service my library offeres

The NY library also very kindly informed me that the Houston library only charges $40 a year for non residents.

Has anyone done this?  Is there a problem with overdrive gettin into the kindle? Hell, I've been spending about a hundred a month on the kindle. I'd just as soon join a new library

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I would be interested in this as well. Anybody doing this?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Is there a form to fill out?  Or a blood test?

Also, do either the Houston or New York library show what's available in a digital form before you sign up?

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Just went to the Houston site. It looks like the Kindle format is not supported. is this right?

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Hmmm, they have the sony reader listed. Not seeing the Kindle. Has anyone used either the NY or the Houston library and get it to work on the Kindle? I'd be more than willing to pay a yearly fee if I can get library books on my Kindle. My local library is not compatible from what I understand.

·
Registered
788 Posts
From what I understand, you probably wouldn't be able to read any of these books on your Kindle.

For the libraries to lend them out there would have to be some sort of DRM, otherwise you could just KEEP the book, therefore getting it for free. You can't read DRM'd Mobipocket on the Kindle, so even if they have mobipocket as an option, you probably won't be able to use it.

Mind you I use probably a lot here. If the books don't have DRM then it stands you reason you could read them. No idea how the libraries could make you return them and keep pirates from copying them though.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Mikuto said:
From what I understand, you probably wouldn't be able to read any of these books on your Kindle.

For the libraries to lend them out there would have to be some sort of DRM, otherwise you could just KEEP the book, therefore getting it for free. You can't read DRM'd Mobipocket on the Kindle, so even if they have mobipocket as an option, you probably won't be able to use it.

Mind you I use probably a lot here. If the books don't have DRM then it stands you reason you could read them. No idea how the libraries could make you return them and keep pirates from copying them though.
Yeah, That's what I was thinking, too. Oh well, like most things that sound too good to be true...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I understand Kindle uses mobi files. To use the library you have to get your PID number off of the kindle and tell it to them, then you should be able to get the books.

But I don't know how to get the PID number. Over at mobileread they have instructions for getting the pid, but frankly, I don't understand them. I thought maybe someone over here had figured out an easy way to do it.  Also there seems that some people over at mobileread say the pid is the same as the serial number and that you get that from Amazon so I'm all confused. BUT there are people getting books from their libraries for free. On the Kindle. Legally.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
koland said:
You can also track down version 6 of Mobipocket reader (not the most current versions) and it will see the Kindle as a reader and you can get the PID that way.
FYI -- It does not work on Vista. I haven't tried it on XP yet.

·
Registered
433 Posts
We're talking about audio books, right?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OOOOO I have mobi 6 (I'm pretty sure) How do I get the library books?  Also, if it works, I'd be happy to send my mobi 6 to anyone, if someone would tell me how!!  (it's a free program, so I assume it wouldn't break any laws)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts