Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read and tested a tip in "The Kindle Cookbook: How To Do Everything the Manual Doesn't Tell You" by David Emberson that has me amazed. There is an auto page turn feature on the Kindle! If you hold down the Alt Key and tap the zero (release) and then Alt 1 (release) you will turn this feature on. (Alt+2 turns it off.) You can't change the speed at which the page turns, but you can adjust the size of the text on the page. I find that if I use size 5, the speed is just about right for me.

I hope the next version of the Kindle allows for speed adjustments, as that would be even better. But this is so cool! ;D That tip alone was worth the download price, but there were loads more in there as well.

BTW, I am not associated with that book or the author in any way. I am just a fan.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The page turns at about 9 seconds. I find that font size 4 works for me.

This hint is in my book, too.  ;)

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
The Amazon Kindle FAQ by Leslie Nicoll, Joshua Tallent, and DeLancey Nicoll

I compiled it from the FAQ I started on the Amazon board but the book includes additional information and helpful hints.

Leslie

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leslie said:
The Amazon Kindle FAQ by Leslie Nicoll, Joshua Tallent, and DeLancey Nicoll

I compiled it from the FAQ I started on the Amazon board but the book includes additional information and helpful hints.

Leslie
Thanks, Leslie -- can't beat all of that info for $1.59! ;D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ooh, I got it.
I tried this earlier today after reading it in Leslie's book, but it didn't work. I must have read it wrong, cause I thought it was just ALT 1. Now I tried it with ALT 0 - ALT 1 and it worked. YAY!
Now to figure out what font I need to utilize this function.
I am all about keeping my hands under the covers while I read!!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Thanks for posting this.  I had read about it but couldn't remember the sequence, I kept tapping Alt + 0 and wondering why it wasn't working.  I've been meaning to look it up, you saved me the trouble :)

Actually, I don't love this feature as much as I thought I would.  The page turn time is ok, but if I want to linger over a passage, or re-read for clarity, then it's a problem.

I bet others love it, though.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Tried this nifty trick and wrote it in my manual, but it goes too fast for these old tired eyes.

·
Registered
224 Posts
does the screensaver still kick in?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Elijsha said:
does the screensaver still kick in?
No, because the pages are turning every 9 seconds. The screensaver only comes on after 10 minutes of inactivity.

L

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I used to use this feature on my Palm T/X but you could adjust the speed.  The Kindle is a bit fast for me, and I consider myself a fast reader, though I guess not fast enough!  Maybe if I adjust the font a bit bigger so there's less text it will work better....

Somewhere I saw this feature referred to as "slide show".

Betsy

·
Registered
364 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I used to use this feature on my Palm T/X but you could adjust the speed. The Kindle is a bit fast for me, and I consider myself a fast reader, though I guess not fast enough! Maybe if I adjust the font a bit bigger so there's less text it will work better....

Somewhere I saw this feature referred to as "slide show".

Betsy
It too goes to fast for me as well. I tried it at size 5 and I just can't get to the bottom of the screen before it turn the page.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts