Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again, folks.

Y'all were so helpful with yesterday's cover attempt, I figured I'd try another one. I'm just about finished with a new novel, The Pericles Conspiracy. It's about Captain Josephine Ishikawa of the starliner Pericles. She had the good fortune to accidentally have first contact with aliens. Their ship was crippled and they were dying, so they gave her a stasis unit with their eggs and a star map showing how to bring them home. When the starliner reached Earth, the government confiscated the eggs and alien artifacts, and that was that. Until two years later, when Captain Ishikawa learns the government has no intention of returning the eggs, and is in fact performing all manner of experiments on them. So now she must decide whether to take action or just let things lie.

This one has been percolating for a while. I while back I tried and failed miserably to come up with a good, or even not completely sucky, cover concept for it. So I contacted a cover art person to hook me up. But this morning I decided to give it one more try, just to see. And low and behold, between some old images I stuck in my lightbox on Dreamstine and some new typography and layers skills, I came up with this:

Again, this is using comp images so the watermark is there (and in this case makes it a little annoying to see part of the image). But I think this is a good start.

Thoughts?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I like the fonts and tagline (not that i'm any expert).

But I'm not feeling the image. Maybe there should be a space ship behind her or something? Just the character on her own seems sort of disconnected from the blurb somehow. Sorry I'm not much help.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shaun4 said:
I like the fonts and tagline (not that i'm any expert).

But I'm not feeling the image. Maybe there should be a space ship behind her or something? Just the character on her own seems sort of disconnected from the blurb somehow. Sorry I'm not much help.
Hmmm...

Well there's also this image I bookmarked:

I will say that's a much more striking image. But man, I really wanted to show her somewhere. Oh well, I guess it's not that big a deal anyway. The cover should grab attention and show genre. This definitely shows scifi better. But most of the book is on earth dodging spooks and running a caper to get the eggs away. So it's also thriller-ish.

Hmmm....

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Can you put a small image of the woman's face in the background of the starship cover?  (Or vice versa, for that matter, but I'd prefer the other.)  That would give you the best of both worlds:  a face to personalize the story, and a ship to attract the hard-core sci-fi fans.

Also, I have to sheepishly admit that it took me a minute to realize that the circle-y swirl around the woman's face was the Dreamstime watermark, and not part of your cover.  And since I'm a visual person, it's hard for me to visualize what she 'really' looks like.    :-[

·
Registered
375 Posts
Could you put a faint version of her in the background, over the planet? I also like the spaceship one better, I have to say.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Newest one looks good but you might want to lower opacity of the girl(and that twirl most importantly) so it doesn't take away attention from other things like title and ship. It will look better as it won't be so busy. Other than that, pretty good job! Best of luck with sales!

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
RBC said:
Newest one looks good but might want to lower opacity of the girl....
I agree with this: make the woman's head more faint/background-y, and even a little smaller. Then move the ship up a bit so it's more centered between title & author name. I think (my opinion only) the ship should be the main focus of the cover, with the woman's face above it, maybe a smidge more to the left, would be a nice counterbalance to the tagline on the right.

(YOMV, of course.) :)

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Your last cover is very, very nice! Definitely the best IMHO. Oddly, when I looked at the first cover, the swirl around the woman's face made me think of a nun's habit.

I wish I could make covers. (See EC sulking away towing her green bag of jealousy.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts