Kindle Forum banner

On K2, is anyone else seeing the bottom status bar always ghost?

2K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Sweety18 
#1 ·
Hi,

So far love my K2...but one thing I've noticed is that every time I come out of sleep mode and it goes back to my book, the bottom status bar always has the ghosted image of "Slide and Release the Power Slide to Wake".  Even on page turns, this does not refresh.  I called Amazon and they told me the only work around was to hold down alt+g.

Is anyone else seeing this?  I want to make sure that I don't have a defective unit.  I understand that there will be ghosted images but in my K1 page turns always cleared everything up, whereas this is not the case for K2 (perhaps they now don't update bottom status bar to save battery?)

#5 ·
Mine does that as well. Since I've never seen ghosting in the actual reading area, it doesn't bother me. I do have to keep telling myself it's eInk tho... and that it's not going to 'burn in' :)

#9 ·
Same here. I always get the ghosting on the bottom after waking it up from screensaver mode, but alt+g does the trick.

#11 ·
I remember reading somewhere that it has something to do with the way the K2 refreshes the screen (the black flash as you turn pages).  I remember reading that it doesn't flash the whole screen but instead can do it selectively.  The Alt+G does a full screen refresh thus removing the ghosts.  Personally it really doesn't bother me since it isn't an actual burn in problem.  It is just an artifact of the selective refresh and the way e-ink technology works.  It sort or reminds me of an etch-a-sketch  :)

#13 ·
I have the issue as well. I am at the point that I don't pay it much attention anymore. As long as it doesn't happen in the reading area, I don't care too much. Even though it is kind of annoying. I am starting to wonder if some of these little quirks like refresh issues and light colored text, have something to do with the "extended" battery life.

#16 ·
I just got my K2 a few days ago. I didn't have a K1, in fact I've never seen another kindle, which means I nothing to compare it to when considering the screen. I'm wondering if people have ghosting on the screen savers. Every time I have a screen saver displayed that has significant black areas, I can see the text that I was reading in that dark area. This doesn't bother me much, it's just that I wonder if my kindle is up to snuff. The background is a little darker than I was expecting, but over the last few days I've gotten used to it and it's fine. Would I like it lighter? Sure. But if someone said all kindles are that dark, I'd be fine with it. I do think I will have to use a booklight in one condition where I don't have to with a paper book - reading on my couch after dark with just the room's overhead light. But I just have this nagging voice in my head that says "Maybe there are better kindles out there". And the strong ghosting on the screensavers adds to my curiosity of whether mine is sub-par.

I know I could call Amazon and they will send a second one for me to compare. But I know this costs Amazon money (even though they will get one back, they can't sell it as new, I assume) and I don't want to cheat what I feel is a good company, especially in this tough economy. It's like when you have some minor medical question/issue and you don't know whether it is worth the time and trouble (for both you and the doctor) to make an appointment...

Cathy

#17 ·
The world needs more folks like you Cathy. . . .but think of it this way.  You paid $360. . .if you're not completely happy with the thing you have a right to see what they'll do to make you happy.  Amazon is generally pretty good at this.  First try using the alt-G combination to referesh the screen, or reset the device and see if it's any better.  If not, contact CS and see what they say. . .I know of several folks who have had them send out new K2's and were happy they did because they saw a noticable difference.

Good Luck!

Ann

#18 ·
Ann Von Hagel said:
The world needs more folks like you Cathy. . . .but think of it this way. You paid $360. . .if you're not completely happy with the thing you have a right to see what they'll do to make you happy. Amazon is generally pretty good at this. First try using the alt-G combination to referesh the screen, or reset the device and see if it's any better. If not, contact CS and see what they say. . .I know of several folks who have had them send out new K2's and were happy they did because they saw a noticable difference.

Good Luck!

Ann
Thanks for your thoughts on this. When reading, alt-g does make the text a little more solid, which makes me think that ghosting from the previous page's letters is having an effect. But of course, alt-g doesn't make the background any lighter, which bothers me more than the letter darkness. Maybe I'll call tomorrow and ask for a 2nd one... now I'm wondering if it makes sense to wait a little longer to get a 2nd one from a different manufacturing "batch" or something...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.