Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removed by the OP

(Content of this post was removed by the original writer of it. I subsequently updated the "subject" to reflect the thread's topic - Admin.)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Thankfully, this is a friendly place filled with nice people who want to read your books, so put aside your fears and get your work out there. We won't bite. ;)

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
You're overlooking the fact that the feeling of "dying inside" is some personal issue you have to deal with, perhaps based on some fear or something. I don't understand how people parachute out of airplanes either, but the answer is obvious...they don't share the same fears of going splat on the ground that I have.  :)

You just have to find a way to get past that feeling of self consciousness. As long as you're being respectful of the rules of the community and using ethical practices, there's nothing to worry about. Besides, people don't want to be sold to, they want to support people they know and respect. The best marketing is to be a great member of the community.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not fear. It's my upbringing, so I guess you could say it's cultural and it's all on me. I'm just interested in other indies thoughts on the matter. I was raised to not blow your own horn and let your work speak for itself. As we ll know, in this profession, advertising is a must and for an indie author, that falls to us. We don't have a PR machine, so we have to get our work out there by whatever means possible. I swear, I'd rather give the work away and hope that people who benefit will buy the book later. But that's not human nature or a realistic expectation in this day and age.

That's why the 80 cent book idea is a good one; it gets the book out there and some remuneration coming in.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
With that said, I sometimes question the dedication of authors who are unwilling to fight for their books. We live in a very commercial society where products are forced down our throats everyday. It's only natural that in this environment some people are resistant to any form of self promotion by authors. At the same time, if you don't mention your work, no one will ever know it was written, thus ensuring all your blood, sweat, and tears to obscurity.

Better to bite the bullet and take the chance that for every few people who turn their noses up to your self promotion tactics that you land one reader. No author publishes his/her book not to be read. What would be the point? Since not everyone is going to respond favorably to our cause, authors need to develop tough skin. At the same time, as long as you play by the rules and be respectful to others, you increase the chances of your success of being read, not the opposite.

·
Registered
167 Posts
You have to have a thick skin if you are going to be a writer. People are going to correct your grammar and write you bad reviews too.....nothing you can do about that stuff. But while you're down in the dumps about it, you might as well self-promote too.

Some people get offended at the slightest promotion. You're going to have to ignore them. I offered free books to people before, just to get the word out about my novel, and I found people on another thread talking about how they can't stand it. I apologized, told them I would even give them a free copy for the offense, and I was scolded telling me I turned their post into a commercial for the low, low, price of my book.

If these complainers had it their way, I guess my book would cost $50, and I would never mention it. You can't please everyone, so gently offer your book to people, if they hate you for it, then you don't need them as readers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe try looking at it this way: If you start a business selling products that people need and enjoy, you are doing something positive both for yourself and the community, but in order to let people know your business is there for them, you have to PROMOTE it. It's the same with books, assuming you truly believe in what you've written.

Best Regards,

Tom Jankovic
Author of "The Lost Scroll and the Secret of Life" (and yes, I am proud to promote it!) :)
http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Scroll-Secret-Life-ebook/dp/B0029ZBGSE

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
permit1850 -

Self-promotion can be done in a lot of ways and in a lot of venues. You have to find what fits your style and personality the best - that may take some experimentation to find what you're comfortable with and what you're not. But it's not just indies who have to deal with this: authors who get picked up by the big publishers generally have to bear the brunt of the promotional work, as well. Only the really big-name authors get a lot of media push.

But I think it's one of those things that you have to look at not as a bad thing, but just part of the process, and find out where your comfort zone is. And as Greg and Carolyn pointed out, KB is an *easy* place to find readers by just being an active member of the community here: you don't have to plug your book at all if you don't want to. You've got your book and by-line in your signature, although I would recommend that you make a book/author thread if you haven't already to link to from your signature. Just get involved and people will check out your book's sample, and if they like it, they'll buy it.  ;D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great question... for me the key is to find a way to "put yourself out there" yet do it in a way that helps other authors, helps readers, or actually contributes to your community.

But in terms of just plugging your own book for no other reason than to plug your own book, yeah, that's not interesting to anybody.

Find a way to help other authors and that'll eventually lead readers to your work.

I hope that helps! :)

The Colorado Sequence for 80 cents
http://www.amazon.com/The-Colorado-Sequence-ebook/dp/B002AVVQGE

Z

·
0 Posts
permit1850 -

Totally share and understand your sentiments about self-promotion. I was - and still am - pretty awkward at it, but I gotta admit it's getting easier and easier. What's the line? I'm starting to believe!!! In fact, I do believe!!!

There's a mental transition that needs to take place. There's this moment when you're this ... and then suddenly you're still this, but with a dash of salt and pepper!

Funny thing is, I've always admired people that were good at self-promotion so I'm trying my best to become like that and I think it's slowly happening. The shift is taking place. I very recently posted in this other forum and some wonderfully, kind person just copied my book info and promoted me on another site  they frequent!!! They did this without me even asking and I certainly don't know them! Another example is book signings. I dreaded even the thought of going out and meeting people and handing them my book, but now? Today I up and called this place that I thought would be perfect and darn if they weren't enthused about the idea!!! I hung up staring at the phone and saying, "Wha?" The details still have to be worked out, but it's a whole new world for me.

So just keep doing what you're doing and it'll click for you!!!! It'll just be in your own time and in your own way!!!

The very best of luck to you!!!!!

;D

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'm not an author, just an avid reader, but it seems to me that the best way for you to get used to self-promotion is to do it in forums such as this where the guidelines for doing it are pretty clear and you know you have a receptive audience. After all, the reason most of us are here is that we love our kindles and we are always looking for interesting stuff to read on them.

Marketing is like any other skill. The more you do it and get a positive result, the more you will feel comfortable with it. After all, unless you are just writing a vanity book, the whole point is to share your stories with others, right? You can't do that unless you are willing to reach out to them. This forum seems like a low-risk way to stick your toe in the water and get in a little "practice" before you step out and try to promote to a wider audience.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good discussion and it's interesting to note other folks perspectives, lot's of ideas and common sense suggestions that make the idea of promoting your work fonder to ponder.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I can understand how it's hard to toot your own horn. But now a days, so much for authors depends on their own self promotion. I really enjoy meeting all of the people and chatting about writing/reading. I've even been making a lot of friends, both readers and writers. Writers are a quiet lot, and we need that supportive structure.

Whether you are a traditionally published author or indie published, writing is changing. The writing conferences I've attended have been giving classes on how to self promote. The internet is a huge advertising format that is taking away from the printed media. It's almost like you have to get on the band wagon of self promotion to keep your books and names out there.

It is also very exciting to see how things are changing. Sites like Goodreads and Authorsden really allow communication with readers like never before. And of course, message boards like this allow authors to communicate with readers better than any marketing department.

Besides, I love talking. Sometimes it's just hard to keep track of all the boards and blogs I'm registered with. But it's time that is enjoyable and well spent. It is, I think, the future for publishing.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
worktolive said:
Marketing is like any other skill. The more you do it and get a positive result, the more you will feel comfortable with it. After all, unless you are just writing a vanity book, the whole point is to share your stories with others, right? You can't do that unless you are willing to reach out to them. This forum seems like a low-risk way to stick your toe in the water and get in a little "practice" before you step out and try to promote to a wider audience.
I really agree. Marketing does become more comfortable with time. I'm not big on talking about myself, but one of the most interesting things to come out of self-promotion is to meet people from all walks of life and from everywhere. I just look at it as putting myself out there, with friendly intention, for the world to see, and waiting to see what the world brings back. I've found that the cyberworld isn't as harsh as we sometimes fear, and that most people are terrific. ;D

Debra
FATAL ENCRYPTION
TAXED TO DEATH

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think starting this thread is a great example of self promotion.  Everytime someone responds, this discussion is bumped up to the top, and your book is highlighted several times here. 

Methinks that the respondents here have been hustled - this is a clever self promotion by permit1850.

Not that I object - I wish I would have thought of it first!!  ;D

Yale R. Jaffe
author, Advantage Disadvantage

·
Registered
509 Posts
It was tough for me, too, when I started out.  But you get used to it.  One of my friends in the writing world equates the life of an author to that of the bard who came before us long ago.  They were literally always singing for their supper.  We have to do the same in order to survive.  :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Terrific subject, and frankly when I clicked on it I fully expected it to be . . . self-promotion!

But I recall a few months ago clicking around the television dial and stopping on QVC, and what do I see but James Taylor (James Taylor!) stopping by to sell DVD's, and he and his band even did a few songs. I remember Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon stopping by QVC literally hours after he closed out the 2007 championship, hawking shirts and signed bats and stuff.

If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me . . .

1 - 20 of 85 Posts