Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back to regular printed books, that is...  ;)

I received my Kindle as a surprise Christmas present and it hasn't left my side in the past two months. But since it was a surprise gift, I had bought a few regular print books from the used bookstore right before Christmas.  So, I now have 4-5 books laying around the house waiting for me to read. I want to read these books, it's just that I have been so enamoured with my Kindle, I have bought new Kindle books just to read on it.

The practical side of me says I should read those remaining printed books before buying anymore Kindle books, but I just can't seem to pick them up. I started reading one last weekend, and I'm only on page 60 -- usually by now I'd be almost done, if I hadn't already finished.

Is it just me? Or is it a wider phenomenon hitting Kindle owners nationwide?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
It's not just you. I did the same thing. I forced myself to finish the 3 hardback books I had, but gave up and bought the paperbacks on the Kindle to read. I just couldn't go back. Maybe in another month or so. :-\

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Some of us can and some of us can't.  I've gone back and forth myself.  I have a lot of books that may never be Kindleized, at least not in my lifetime.  If I want to reread them, and I do, then it's got to be in the dtv. 

I've read a couple of new dtv's, but I've probably got 20 more in my TBR pile that I will probably not get around to reading.  The vast majority of my reading is Kindled. 

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I couldn't.  I was about 100 pages into Patrick Rothfuss' book and waited until it was available on the Kindle before continuing.  I really tried, but it wasn't the same.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I have not read a DTB since I have gotten my Kindle. Soon I am going to give away just about all my DTB. I can use the self space for other things. I will use one of the selves for my Kindle covers etc. The only DTB  I will read now are my  school books.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I much prefer my Kindle, but sometimes there is a book I really want to read or re-read that is not available for the Kindle. In thoses cases, the DTV still works. I might complain about it, the ink on my fingers and not as easy to hold with one hand, but I still enjoy the story.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have a feeling I won't be going back. Already I don't want any more DTBs cluttering up my place. I will give away the ones I didn't much like, I'll be keeping the ones I love and probably re-read those now and then...but  who knows? Might end up hating it and buying the Kindle versions.  :eek:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I couldn't go back. I tried. I have about 2 dozen books I haven't read. I am hoping they come out for the Kindle, because while I've tried, I have conceded that I will only read Kindle books from now on. The hard back books are too heavy and cumbersome. The paperback are too filthy with ink getting on my hands and I constantly lose my place when I fall asleep while reading (which I do every night). I fall asleep, drop the book, and completely lose my place. Since I do this every night, it is not an isolated occurrence. When I do this with the Kindle, the Kindle just goes to sleep. When I wake it up it is either on the correct page, or, if it accidentally hits the new page button while it slipped down, it might be a page or two off, but still easy to find my place. No going back for me.

Steve

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have read just one DTB since getting my Kindle... and have been buying Kindle version of books i already have read if I want to re-read anything (well, if they are avialable). I find it a lot harder to read DTBs now... I do have a few I haven;t read yet, and aren;t available on Kindle - so I will eventually get to them in the DTV... but won;t be as easy or convienent as reading on my Kindle.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It is so much easier for me to read on the Kindle, I can't bring myself to read a DTB, except for Harry Potter.  I had to use a large magnifying glass to reread HP the last time, plus some of the books are large, so not nearly as pleasant as the Kindle.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm pretty much hooked, except for picture books (e.g., just borrowed a book on microphotography from the library). I haven't read a regular print DTB in months. The Kindle is just so easy to hold and always has a selection from which to choose. Even my magazine subs are languishing on the bookshelf, and I'm slowly letting them expire, except for Archaeology and, on the Kindle, the New Yorker.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I've got about 8 DTBs sitting around waiting for me to read them, but I think they're going to be waiting for quite awhile. I keep picking them up, then putting them right back down. I'd buy them in ebook form if I could, but none of them have been released that way (I check every once in awhile just to make sure). I thought about just donating them to the library but I figure if something happens to my K, I'll have them as a backup.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Oh my, in the last year I have read 61 books and only 13 of them were on Kindle.  I have 5 bookshelves full of books and am making myself read them so I dont' purchase them again ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm "bi" when it comes down to reading books.  I read from my Kindle and from the printed form as well.  I think it adds flavor to one's reading.  I just finished reading the paperback version of The Brothers Karamazov, and now I'm reading the hardcover Julie Rose translation of Les Miserables.  I can't be without my Kindle, but I can't be without my regular books either.  I go both ways.   :p

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
ElLector said:
I'm "bi" when it comes down to reading books. I read from my Kindle and from the printed form as well. I think it adds flavor to one's reading. I just finished reading the paperback version of The Brothers Karamazov, and now I'm reading the hardcover Julie Rose translation of Les Miserables. I can't be without my Kindle, but I can't be without my regular books either. I go both ways. :p
Yay! I'm not the only one who has this problem.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I just read a paperback because it was not available in Kindle version and it took some getting used to again. I just couldn't get comfortable holding it. Thankfully it was a short book. I have a couple others I still need to read and guess I will get to them eventually.

Lynn L

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sparkplug said:
Back to regular printed books, that is... ;)
I've found myself reading some books I'd purchased before my Kindle. I'm reading them more slowly, but I still intend to finish the ones I've started and read the others.

And don't forget, there are still terrific books that are not on the Kindle. If I really want to read the book, I won't let the fact that it's not on the Kindle stop me from reading it.

What I have noticed is that I'm not buying a new "dead tree books". All of my purchases have been Kindle books.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I haven't gone back to dtb's other than textbooks. Its just too hard to carry additional books around, but my kindle fits perfectly next to my diary in my bag

1 - 20 of 62 Posts