Kindle Forum banner

Once you go Kindle, can you ever go back?

6K views 61 replies 41 participants last post by  kim 
#1 ·
Back to regular printed books, that is...  ;)

I received my Kindle as a surprise Christmas present and it hasn't left my side in the past two months. But since it was a surprise gift, I had bought a few regular print books from the used bookstore right before Christmas.  So, I now have 4-5 books laying around the house waiting for me to read. I want to read these books, it's just that I have been so enamoured with my Kindle, I have bought new Kindle books just to read on it.

The practical side of me says I should read those remaining printed books before buying anymore Kindle books, but I just can't seem to pick them up. I started reading one last weekend, and I'm only on page 60 -- usually by now I'd be almost done, if I hadn't already finished.

Is it just me? Or is it a wider phenomenon hitting Kindle owners nationwide?

#3 ·
Some of us can and some of us can't.  I've gone back and forth myself.  I have a lot of books that may never be Kindleized, at least not in my lifetime.  If I want to reread them, and I do, then it's got to be in the dtv. 

I've read a couple of new dtv's, but I've probably got 20 more in my TBR pile that I will probably not get around to reading.  The vast majority of my reading is Kindled. 

#4 ·
I couldn't.  I was about 100 pages into Patrick Rothfuss' book and waited until it was available on the Kindle before continuing.  I really tried, but it wasn't the same.

#5 ·
I have not read a DTB since I have gotten my Kindle. Soon I am going to give away just about all my DTB. I can use the self space for other things. I will use one of the selves for my Kindle covers etc. The only DTB  I will read now are my  school books.

#9 ·
I have a feeling I won't be going back. Already I don't want any more DTBs cluttering up my place. I will give away the ones I didn't much like, I'll be keeping the ones I love and probably re-read those now and then...but  who knows? Might end up hating it and buying the Kindle versions.  :eek:

#10 ·
I couldn't go back. I tried. I have about 2 dozen books I haven't read. I am hoping they come out for the Kindle, because while I've tried, I have conceded that I will only read Kindle books from now on. The hard back books are too heavy and cumbersome. The paperback are too filthy with ink getting on my hands and I constantly lose my place when I fall asleep while reading (which I do every night). I fall asleep, drop the book, and completely lose my place. Since I do this every night, it is not an isolated occurrence. When I do this with the Kindle, the Kindle just goes to sleep. When I wake it up it is either on the correct page, or, if it accidentally hits the new page button while it slipped down, it might be a page or two off, but still easy to find my place. No going back for me.

Steve

#11 ·
I have read just one DTB since getting my Kindle... and have been buying Kindle version of books i already have read if I want to re-read anything (well, if they are avialable). I find it a lot harder to read DTBs now... I do have a few I haven;t read yet, and aren;t available on Kindle - so I will eventually get to them in the DTV... but won;t be as easy or convienent as reading on my Kindle.

#13 ·
I'm pretty much hooked, except for picture books (e.g., just borrowed a book on microphotography from the library). I haven't read a regular print DTB in months. The Kindle is just so easy to hold and always has a selection from which to choose. Even my magazine subs are languishing on the bookshelf, and I'm slowly letting them expire, except for Archaeology and, on the Kindle, the New Yorker.

#14 ·
I've got about 8 DTBs sitting around waiting for me to read them, but I think they're going to be waiting for quite awhile. I keep picking them up, then putting them right back down. I'd buy them in ebook form if I could, but none of them have been released that way (I check every once in awhile just to make sure). I thought about just donating them to the library but I figure if something happens to my K, I'll have them as a backup.

#16 ·
I'm "bi" when it comes down to reading books.  I read from my Kindle and from the printed form as well.  I think it adds flavor to one's reading.  I just finished reading the paperback version of The Brothers Karamazov, and now I'm reading the hardcover Julie Rose translation of Les Miserables.  I can't be without my Kindle, but I can't be without my regular books either.  I go both ways.   :p

#17 ·
ElLector said:
I'm "bi" when it comes down to reading books. I read from my Kindle and from the printed form as well. I think it adds flavor to one's reading. I just finished reading the paperback version of The Brothers Karamazov, and now I'm reading the hardcover Julie Rose translation of Les Miserables. I can't be without my Kindle, but I can't be without my regular books either. I go both ways. :p
Yay! I'm not the only one who has this problem.

#18 ·
I just read a paperback because it was not available in Kindle version and it took some getting used to again. I just couldn't get comfortable holding it. Thankfully it was a short book. I have a couple others I still need to read and guess I will get to them eventually.

Lynn L

#19 ·
Sparkplug said:
Back to regular printed books, that is... ;)
I've found myself reading some books I'd purchased before my Kindle. I'm reading them more slowly, but I still intend to finish the ones I've started and read the others.

And don't forget, there are still terrific books that are not on the Kindle. If I really want to read the book, I won't let the fact that it's not on the Kindle stop me from reading it.

What I have noticed is that I'm not buying a new "dead tree books". All of my purchases have been Kindle books.

#21 ·
I'm still getting books from the library, but now I'm really noticing how uncomfortable they are to read, particularly in bed. Heavy and clumsy....

I set up a wishlist on Amazon just for books I want to read, and I'm going to buy them instead as the prices fall/they become available.

#22 ·
I haven't picked up a "paper" book other than my bible since getting my Kindle. I even bought a bible for my Kindle and although it is OK, I still prefer to use it for my weekly bible study that I attend... Oh, my bible study materials and workbooks are still on paper... but everything else has been Kindle only. I even bought Kindle editions of 4 books that I had just purchased 2 weeks before getting the Kindle and gave those books to friends for Christmas.

#24 ·
ElLector said:
I'm "bi" when it comes down to reading books. I read from my Kindle and from the printed form as well. I think it adds flavor to one's reading. I just finished reading the paperback version of The Brothers Karamazov, and now I'm reading the hardcover Julie Rose translation of Les Miserables. I can't be without my Kindle, but I can't be without my regular books either. I go both ways. :p
This will have to stand true for me as well. I am starting to see there are quite a few books that Kindle just doesn't have. Not to mention I have way too many to purchase on Kindle again. I imagine there are still times where a good solid book will feel nice. At least I don't have to carry them around if I don't want to. To be honest I can't say it will stop me from buying hardcover versions of books that I really want for my collection but that remains to be seen.

#25 ·
I don't know.  I don't have my Kindle yet, but what I have noticed is that I have little patience for DTBs now.  I'm reading "A Game of Thrones" waiting for my K and it's becoming more and more annoying to hold...it's a fat paperback and awkward.  All very odd since I have no Kindle experience.

#26 ·
ElLector said:
I just finished reading the paperback version of The Brothers Karamazov, and now I'm reading the hardcover Julie Rose translation of Les Miserables.
I feel like a literary moron next to you. I'm just finishing the 10th book in The Dresner Files sci fi series, and am about to start Dean and Me by Jerry Lewis about the careers and relationship between Dean Martin and Jerrry Lewis. I have seen the Broadway musical "Les Miserables" about 5 times, but that's about as close as I get to great literature these days.

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.