Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you a monogamous reader, devoting all your attention to just one book at a time? Or do you like to play the field by reading multiple books simultaneously? Personally, when I have the time, I'm the latter - especially books of very different genres. I find it makes my brain work really hard, and occasionally some really bizarre and cool connections emerge.

But how do you all like to read? Give each book your full undivided, or let your imagination run wild across a few at a time?

·
Registered
434 Posts
I do some of both. 

Sometimes I have things I feel obligated to read -- something for a book club, a freebie I got and promised a review, somethign from a friend, etc. -- and I will mix them in with other books. 

I've found it is a bit easier when I'm reading ficton and non-fiction together.  I'll often split my time between something fun and something for personal growth, church, etc.

If a book is a real page-turner, I will often put the others aside and push through to the end becuase I want to see how it turns out!

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I tend to read one novel at a time, but often I will also have a non-fiction book of one sort or another going on at the same time. When that happens, I'll typically read several novels during the same period that I read the nonfiction book. On rare occasions I'll have 2 novels going at once, but that usually means one of the novels is not a "fun" read, but something pretty dense that takes a lot of concentration, which I might not be in the mood to provide all the time.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Normally just one at a time, it's always been that way for me.

Recently I've caught myself having two going, one in iBooks and one in kindle. It's normally because i forget i have started one in either app. Oops!

·
Registered
876 Posts
kiyash said:
Are you a monogamous reader, devoting all your attention to just one book at a time? Or do you like to play the field by reading multiple books simultaneously? Personally, when I have the time, I'm the latter - especially books of very different genres. I find it makes my brain work really hard, and occasionally some really bizarre and cool connections emerge.

But how do you all like to read? Give each book your full undivided, or let your imagination run wild across a few at a time?
I tend to read about six books at once. I'm simply unable to concentrate on one task at a time; even when composing, I'm working on several pieces at the same time. If I'm reading something get engrossed in, then I'll devote all my time to that, neglecting everything else. Including eating and chores.

·
Registered
868 Posts
For me it is usually one at a time, but if I find it slow going, sometimes I'll pick up another for a bit, intending of course to go back to the first one at some point.  Only when this happens, I often don't make it back to the first one and then just feel guilty about it!  Ah well, I guess not finishing a book isn't the end of the world, huh?...

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
If a book wants me to be faithful, it will only end up disappointed.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I usually like to be reading one fiction and one non-fiction book at any given time, but in reality, they tend to proliferate. It's actually not a great thing; I definitely read more when I concentrate on one thing and allow myself to really get into it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Usually only read one book at a time.  Given it usually takes me a day or two to read a book, I don't really need more than one.  However if I'm reading a book for book club and I don't like it, I may start a second book to be entertained while slogging through the one I don't like.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I used to only read one at a time, now I often find myself with a hardcopy book, an ebook, and an audiobook all on the go at the same time.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Pre-kindle, I would read many books of different genre simultaneously.....leaving books in various places around the house, one in the car, one at work, etc. 

However, I am finding with the Kindle that I am finishing one book before moving on to the next.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
NapCat said:
Pre-kindle, I would read many books of different genre simultaneously.....leaving books in various places around the house, one in the car, one at work, etc.

However, I am finding with the Kindle that I am finishing one book before moving on to the next.
I used to leave books all over the place too, lose them, forget about them, find them, and not be able to remember what had happened before. But, for me, Kindle just encouraged my bad behavior by making it nigh on impossible to misplace my reads.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I am a one book at a time guy.  Most of the time.  I try to be that way as a writer, too, but sometimest that is just impossible.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've usually got two or three going at a time. Now that I have an e-reader, that has gone up to four or five - a mixture of fiction and non-fiction to suit my mood.

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Generally, one at a time simply because I read so fast that more than one would be kind of silly. I can finish a typical 100,000 word novel in two hours without trying. My problem is simply keeping enough books on hand without breaking my budget.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It depends on the mood; if I'm in a thriller mood, or romance, or a jumble of "not sure," I'll pick a mixed-genre. But this "logic" all sails-out-the-window if I get a book that I can't "put down." Then nothing matters: eating, sleeping...the only thing I do is breath while I'm reading...*rolls eyes* there's no help for that problem! lol!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I only do one book at a time, devoting my total attention to it, you know....kind of like a marriage, lol!  I look forward all day getting to my lunch break and reading, and to getting home and if I'm up to it, reading.  Once in a LONG while I might find myself with 2 or very rarely 3 going and this has only occurred when I had gotten bored with the first book, had not really given up, but still wanted to read, and lo and behold I got bored with the 2nd and so forth.  Wait....this only happened once!!  So, I'm a one book woman!!  :-*

1 - 20 of 33 Posts