Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have written an adventure novel that has a natural break about half way through - (total 80,000 words)
i didn't write it with a mind for it to be split or be sold in two parts, but now that I am ready to get it out I am wondering if I should drop the price to $1 each and market it as part 1 and part 2

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The question comes down to whether each half of the story is a complete story itself. Does the first half have its own 3 act structure? If not, keep them together.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Having had a novel split in two by a publisher (they offered to pay me for two books - what can I say, my spine is made of Jell-o), I say without reservation to publish the book as a single title. I'm indie publishing all of my out-of-print books now, and these two will be restored into one book as an "Author's Intended Edition".

Besides, you'll end up with two 40,000 word books - and the novel starts at 40,000 words. Hardly anything at that length moves, unless your name is Nicholas Sparks. Your final length of 80,000 words is much closer to the length of 100,000 words, which is what publishers prefer. That would be a typical 350 page paperback, roughly. It's a length customers like because it gives what they see as a complete, satisfying reading experience.

Of course, this is e-publishing and you'll be the publisher, so do what you want. Were it me, I know what I'd do.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Unless each part can stand on its own with its own complete story arc (as part of an overarching story arc) then you would really piss me off.

80,000 words is not all that long, so just publish it as one novel. I'd only consider doing this if it was like 160,000 words or so...as long as each piece is able to stand on its own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts