Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does the clip mechanism that holds the kindle cause any damage to the Kindle?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had a strangedog cover but sold it here because, even though I loved the bright playful colors, I did not like the way it held the Kindle. The metal clips weren't the problem (although you do have to be careful not to let the edge of the metal scratch the Kindle when putting the K the cover or taking it out). The problem was with the velcro. There's a patch of velcro on the inside of the cover, near the closure strap. THat means you have to put the matching patch on the back of your K at the corresponding position. Taking the K out of the cover requires that you pull pretty hard to separate the two pieces of velcro. That pulling pulled on the back frame of my K so hard that it pulled away from the Next Page button somewhat. The button didn't work right for a while. It gradually got better, but I wasn't about to put the K in that cover again. I emailed Frank about it and he was cordial but didn't seem to think it was a problem. I don't know if he changed the design (put the velcro in a different position, where the back of the K is more solid). I have not heard of anyone else having the same problem, so maybe it's just me.

P.S. Oberons also come with velcro closures, and I haven't read of any complaints about it there, either.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have never scratched Tyrella with the metal clips.  I am very gentle with her, of course, but change my covers often, to the amusement of my husband. The only trouble I have had with Velcro is if I am not paying close attention, I may accidently attach the removable back cover to the main unit, with the Velcro tab.  Then I just cut the offending bit off with a xacto knife, and all goes well.  I only did that once...
The only thing I can think of is that the Velcro was positioned to that it covered part of the Next Page button, which might cause stress on it.
Sorry you had bad luck  :(

·
Registered
137 Posts
ricky said:
The only thing I can think of is that the Velcro was positioned to that it covered part of the Next Page button, which might cause stress on it.
Sorry you had bad luck :(
I didn't describe it very well--the velcro was positioned right where it was supposed to be. It didn't lap over any part of the Next Page button. When I pulled to separate the two pieces of velcro (to get the K out of the cover), they stuck to each other so firmly that they pulled the back of the K away from the front, right where the Next Page button is. (There is a little gap there between the button and the back of the K case, because the button needs to be able to move a bit as you press down on it. That gap got much bigger when the velcro pulled on it, and that messed up how the button worked.)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wow, this is strange.  The Oberon has much more Velcro than a StrangeDog does, and haven't heard of any problem with them either.  I'm just glad that your Kindle got better over time.  Maybe Frank gave you some industrial strength Velcro by accident...  :(  there is such a thing, BTW, I have used it to "float" large painted papers on wood for hanging.  And it is very strong... has much more holding power than the everyday Velcro. 
My feeling is that he should have refunded your money or replaced your cover, whichever you preferred, this sounds like an event that has to do with the cover.  I have always had to use very little effort to remove Tyrella from any of her covers, except if she is in a new MEdge which has corners like vice grips, until they loosen up...  ::)

·
Registered
137 Posts
ricky said:
Wow, this is strange. The Oberon has much more Velcro than a StrangeDog does, and haven't heard of any problem with them either... I have always had to use very little effort to remove Tyrella from any of her covers, except if she is in a new MEdge which has corners like vice grips, until they loosen up... ::)
I'm glad you've had no problem Maybe my Strangedog had industrial strength velcro, as you suggest. I did email Frank about it and he said he'd never heard of anyone having that problem before. (No offer to replace or refund--but I was able to sell it here to someone who seemed to be very happy with it.) Suffice it to say, I now avoid velcro on K covers whoever makes them!

·
Registered
284 Posts
A little off-topic, maybe, but I've bought two Oberons with velcro, and I've had no problems whatever with separating the K2 from the cover.  Admittedly, I don't do it often.  I like reading with the K2 in the cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts