Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be receiving my first Kindle with the K2 on 2/25, so haven't had the experiences so many of you have already had. I think there's a name for that, but I won't post it here :D

Anyway, I'm reading one of my last DTBs for a while before my K2 arrives and I'm having the hardest time with the book itself. It's a paperback, almost 600 pages, and now that I'm a quarter of the way through already, it's next to impossible to read the words near the inner fold because they're so close to the bound edge. I've tried to bend the book back, but can only bend it so much without it breaking.

Plus, I'm no Morroco Mole, but the type is really small. If I had my K2, I could just adjust the font size.

One more reason to go Kindle!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I will also be getting my first Kindle when K2s start shipping. I've always found some books awkward to hold while lying in bed, and many people have said DTBs are even more uncomfortable to hold after experiencing the ease of the Kindle. I expect I'll be one of those  :)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Preachin' to the choir.  But still, can we get an AMEN?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Preachin' to the choir. But still, can we get an AMEN?
Amen sister Robin! ::)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Britt said:
I will also be getting my first Kindle when K2s start shipping. I've always found some books awkward to hold while lying in bed, and many people have said DTBs are even more uncomfortable to hold after experiencing the ease of the Kindle. I expect I'll be one of those :)
im reading one of George Pelecanos' older novels that is n/a on Kindle. First time ive read a real book sinc eive gotten my Kindle..it really feels awkward. I miss the clear print too

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I am fighting the PB battle right now.  I had a book that I REALLY wanted to read.... and found out that it's not available on Kindle.  So, sadly, I was forced to get it from the library and it was only available in PB.  It's awful!!  I haven't like DTBs since I got MaKK last October.... but reading this PB is horrible!!  It's 573 pages, impossible to hold, old, yellowed and worn out.... and even held together with mending tape.  The print is WAY too small even though my eyes are not in bad shape either..... an altogether pitiful reading experience.  I can't wait to get it finished and back to my Kindle!!!

I

·
0 Posts
AMEN Robin!

You can read a Kindle any place you can read a regular book and do it easier, faster and without straining anything to do it.  Going back to a regular book is like going back to burlap after getting used to silk.

·
Registered
220 Posts
libro said:
Anyway, I'm reading one of my last DTBs for a while before my K2 arrives and I'm having the hardest time with the book itself. It's a paperback, almost 600 pages, and now that I'm a quarter of the way through already, it's next to impossible to read the words near the inner fold because they're so close to the bound edge. I've tried to bend the book back, but can only bend it so much without it breaking.
Yup, I call those Beached Whale Books - too big and unwieldy to read comfortably or pleasurably. Problem solved with a Kindle!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
AMEN Robin!

You can read a Kindle any place you can read a regular book and do it easier, faster and without straining anything to do it. Going back to a regular book is like going back to burlap after getting used to silk.
Indeed, Vampy! Having been using my Kindle since...September, maybe? Late August?....I have gotten so used to the lookup feature that I now get irritated when the DTB won't give me a definition for the word. And, like Ambrose Bierce said, in most DTBs, the covers are too far apart.

No covers on a Kindle. Maybe the biggest perk of all. (And I'm excluding after-market covers here. I'm referring specifically to the covers of the book. I myself have a new Oberon cover on order.)

·
Registered
189 Posts
One of the many BIG Kindle joys - being able to read in a restaurant and not need to hold a massive book open with one hand while trying to eat with the other hand...not to mention how little table space they take up. :)  The only "bad" part is all the interruptions of people coming by to ask you what you're looking at and requesting a demo!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
NitroStitch said:
One of the many BIG Kindle joys - being able to read in a restaurant and not need to hold a massive book open with one hand while trying to eat with the other hand...not to mention how little table space they take up. :) The only "bad" part is all the interruptions of people coming by to ask you what you're looking at and requesting a demo!
We have a little diner here where I like to have breakfast a few times a month. I always sit at the counter. In the old days, I would read the paper until the food came, but once the food was served, it was too awkward to try to position the paper and eat at the same time.

Now...that problem is solved. Oh joy, oh rapture!

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
gertiekindle said:
Goodness, Leslie, that's one of my favorite happy phrases. Where did we get that from?
H.M.S. Pinafore is quickly coming to mind, but I might be wrong....if it's not Pinafore, it might be something else from Gilbert & Sullivan.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Leslie said:
H.M.S. Pinafore is quickly coming to mind, but I might be wrong....if it's not Pinafore, it might be something else from Gilbert & Sullivan.

L
Yep. Pinafore:

Oh joy, oh rapture unforeseen,
The clouded sky is now serene,
The god of day - the orb of love,
Has hung his ensign high above,
The sky is all ablaze.
With wooing words and loving song
We'll/They'll chase the lagging hours along,
And if I/he find(s) the maiden coy,
We'll murmur forth decorous joy
In dreamy roundelays