Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have some txt and epub books on my computer and wanted to know if it is an easy process to transfer them onto the new kindle 3? I do not believe they are protected books, my friend had downloaded them on free site and had them on a sony reader, and I had also put them on my Ipad.
Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Tinderbox (UK) said:
Just use the free software Calibre, it can manage and convert you ebooks.

http://calibre-ebook.com/
Also, Amazon has announced plans for "later this year" to support EPUB books, so that the Kindle will be compatible with the most popular format for library lending. (I'm presuming that this will be pushed out to current Kindles in a firmware update.)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
jmiked said:
Have they said they will support ePub, or just that the Kindle will be able to get library books?

Mike
Hmm...good question. The original press release makes no mention of the ePub format, just that Amazon is working with Overdrive to provide e-book lending. Now I'm wondering where I heard anything specific about ePub, or if I or someone else that I read has jumped to a conclusion. ???

Here's a fairly recent blog discussion that leaves the question unanswered, but certainly casts doubt on whether "library lending" means ePub, or perhaps just a mechanism whereby Overdrive can have a Kindle (i.e. MOBI) version sent to the Kindle.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Birdman28 said:
Hi, I have some txt and epub books on my computer and wanted to know if it is an easy process to transfer them onto the new kindle 3? I do not believe they are protected books, my friend had downloaded them on free site and had them on a sony reader, and I had also put them on my Ipad.
Thanks for your time.
You can use Word or Open Office (free) to convert them to .doc and then e-mail them as attachments to your kindle address. Then for about fifteen cents a pop they'll appear on your kindle with almost no effort.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A.D. Bloom said:
You can use Word or Open Office (free) to convert them to .doc and then e-mail them as attachments to your kindle address. Then for about fifteen cents a pop they'll appear on your kindle with almost no effort.
Ok, I do have the calibre software someone mentioned so i guess i could convert them to mobi files. But you mention sending the .doc files as e-mail attachments. This I read somewhere that people are charged everytime you do this, so if I have the files in .doc or .txt or convert them into .mobi, can't I just transfer them onto the kindle just using the usb cable? I would rather just do that instead of paying all the time to use the e-mail system.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Birdman28 said:
Ok, I do have the calibre software someone mentioned so i guess i could convert them to mobi files. But you mention sending the .doc files as e-mail attachments. This I read somewhere that people are charged everytime you do this, so if I have the files in .doc or .txt or convert them into .mobi, can't I just transfer them onto the kindle just using the usb cable? I would rather just do that instead of paying all the time to use the e-mail system.
You are charged if it is sent over the 3G network to your Kindle; but you can get it for free by sending it to the "free" email address, in which case you can manually download it via a web link and then onto your Kindle via USB, or if you have a WiFi capable Kindle (all the "3" models) and an available WiFi connection, it can download it directly, still for free. In other words, it only costs you if you use the 3G cell phone network for the download, not if you use the Internet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NogDog said:
You are charged if it is sent over the 3G network to your Kindle; but you can get it for free by sending it to the "free" email address, in which case you can manually download it via a web link and then onto your Kindle via USB, or if you have a WiFi capable Kindle (all the "3" models) and an available WiFi connection, it can download it directly, still for free. In other words, it only costs you if you use the 3G cell phone network for the download, not if you use the Internet.
Ok thanks for explaining that. So if I understood correctly, emailing them using the free email works. And if I already have some books on my computer, I just transfer them directly to the Kindle using the usb cable? (as long as I put them in the right folder on the kindle)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Yep, that's basically it -- and it's all pretty well spelled out in the User's Manual that comes preloaded on the Kindle. In fact, you could install the free Kindle app on your computer (or other supported device) now and read/browse the manual (or just download the PDF version) to find out more about features and limitations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
NogDog said:
Yep, that's basically it -- and it's all pretty well spelled out in the User's Manual that comes preloaded on the Kindle. In fact, you could install the free Kindle app on your computer (or other supported device) now and read/browse the manual (or just download the PDF version) to find out more about features and limitations.
Thank you so much for your time and help. I guess I will be getting a Kindle soon and transfering my books onto it. Can't wait to start reading.
Take care.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Birdman28 said:
Ok, I do have the calibre software someone mentioned so i guess i could convert them to mobi files. But you mention sending the .doc files as e-mail attachments.
Various people have suggested various ways of doing the conversion: they are all right, and you could use any of those methods.

However, my advice would be to use calibre.

I've never done comparisons, but having played around with ebook conversion in the past, pre-calibre, my suspicion would be that the results of converting using calibre to go text -> mobi will be better than the results going text -> doc -> email conversion (unless you spend time tidying up the doc, removing line breaks etc), and better than the results if you send the text to the Kindle.

I'm pretty much positive that the conversion epub -> mobi will be better done by calibre!

In addition, as NogDog suggests, if you install the Kindle for PC app, you can put the books in calibre, have it convert them, and then look at them on the Kindle for PC app (or in the calibre built-in reader) and see them as they would appear on the Kindle. This will give you the best idea of what the results will be.

Calibre can also automatically send the documents by email to your free.kindle address, or send them via USB if the Kindle is connected.

TL:DR summary: use calibre! ;D

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Calibre does an excellent job with converting other formats.  Epubs are no problem.  I have had a problem though getting Text to format properly though so try different setting.

Also PDF files seem to come up with numbers in the body of the book.  I have never figured out what causes that.

But Calibre is the best of all the conversion tools.  It also allows you to send the book by a USB cable to your Kindle.  Calibre is essential if you have a Kindle.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
Franklin Eddy said:
Calibre is essential if you have a Kindle.
Well. . . .no. ;D I've never used it. It is certainly very helpful for some things -- format conversion, even library organization, metadata adjustment. But it's not essential; you can use your Kindle quite happily without ever having heard of it. I know people like that. And some who have looked at it find it way more complicated than they need and just not worth the trouble. So, NOT essential for everyone -- though, again, many people do find it indispensable. :)

If all you need to do is convert, besides Calibre there is MobiPocket Creator, 2EPUB (a web based solution), and many others. . . .Google is your friend. ::) Or, assuming there's no DRM, you can probably have Amazon do the conversion for you. In all cases, the better the quality of the original -- the better the resulting converted document.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts