1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
314 Posts
And oddly, despite being an electronic device, it has no backlight, which means you can't read in the dark (i.e. sleeplessly, in the middle of the night). Why, if you have a Kindle, should you also have to own a booklight?!

So in that sense the Kindle is just another piece of electronic equipment you have to carry around in your purse or briefcase, along with the phone, the laptop, etc. until the geniuses at Apple come up with the all-in-one we dream about. Kindle makers will argue, fairly, that it's [sic] job is to replace books, not computers--and indeed, it's a miracle you can walk about with a full library contained in a single, slender device...

But I can see that as an invention, the Kindle's shelf-life is limited. I can't imagine my children wanting one--and that's not because they don't read or dislike books. They have grown up in the online world, which means they are completely comfortable getting most of their information in an online format. Certainly they would have no issue with reading a book on their laptops.
Aw, another all-in-oner? I've owned laptops for the past nine years, and, while I can read articles (and, uh, message boards) all day, I dislike reading books on my current MacBook. I've tried it. Not my thing. Try as I might, I can't really "curl up" with my laptop. The Kindle, however, is perfect for reading, which is what it's supposed to do -- I don't need the electronic equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!

And a backlight would bother my eyes after a while, too.

Overall, though, I thought it was an interesting article; I appreciated the reference to early automobiles looking like horse carriages with engines in them because the auto-makers couldn't imagine another shape or form at first, and it makes me wonder what the future holds for the Kindle and devices like it.

Thanks for sharing! =)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't get why people find a dedicated book reader to be a negative. If you're serious about reading, why would you need it to do more?

·
Registered
615 Posts
MichelleR said:
I don't get why people find a dedicated book reader to be a negative. If you're serious about reading, why would you need it to do more?
But it's also inaccurate. Before seeing the thread here just now I replied to her piece
and moderators who have to approve comments for that thread posted it about
half an hour ago. What I said:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/danielle-crittenden/my-lovehate-relationship_b_192238.html?show_comment_id=23661782#comment_23661782

·
Registered
607 Posts
It sounds to me that she doesn't understand what eink is, like they went B&W to save money, vs. better reading experience of not having a lit screen.  I almost feel sorry for her kids, if she thinks they need embedded video, etc.  They are going to have the attention span of gnats as adults.

I love reading the comments after articles like this.  Really, the Kindle is "a scam"?  Based on what?  See if the poster had a Kindle he/she could put his/her cursor next to the word "scam" and actually know what the word means. 

I'm cranky today.

Lara Amber 

·
Registered
27 Posts
LaraAmber said:
I love reading the comments after articles like this. Really, the Kindle is "a scam"? Based on what? See if the poster had a Kindle he/she could put his/her cursor next to the word "scam" and actually know what the word means.
Ha!

What an annoying article!

But I can see that as an invention, the Kindle's shelf-life is limited. I can't imagine my children wanting one--and that's not because they don't read or dislike books. They have grown up in the online world, which means they are completely comfortable getting most of their information in an online format. Certainly they would have no issue with reading a book on their laptops.
This comment makes me think the author hasn't really experienced a Kindle. The e-ink is absolutely amazing (I remember when I got mine- I couldn't believe how it looked), and it can't be compared at all to reading on a laptop. I spend a lot of time online, but can't imagine actually reading books on a laptop.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
I read my ebooks on an iTouch because I'm still saving for my Kindle. That backlit screen is definitely hard on the eyes and I can't read for more than an hour or so at a time. I don't like reading on my laptop, not only because the screen is hard on my eyes, but it's just too bulky. I'll bet kids won't read books on laptops, either.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It's interesting that she says she can't imagine her kids wanting one...I wonder how old her children are. I would think if there is one in the house and they hav gotten to see it and hold it they would want one. I'll bet this years Christmas gifts will be from Amazon....

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
All I could think about after reading this article was: Carrying my laptop every where with me just to read??? I can see it now, I'm in line at the grocery store and whip out my laptop to read: Excuse me cashier, do you have an outlet I can use? and a place I can set it, because it's heavy??  

·
Registered
607 Posts
Laptop for reading:

1. boot up times
2. heat
3. noise
4. must carry around spare battery, power cord, etc
5. LCD screen
6. Weight is measured in pounds, not ounces
7. Easily fits into purse, no, wait...
8. Easily fits into dry pak for reading in the tub, at the beach, or working in the kitchen, frak, there I go confusing devices again

Yep, the Kindle is a short life device.  The laptop is so freaking convenient for reading on the train, in restaurants, in bed, standing in line, at the pool, and in the tub.  Why did I waste money on a K2?

Lara Amber

·
Registered
314 Posts
LaraAmber said:
It sounds to me that she doesn't understand what eink is, like they went B&W to save money, vs. better reading experience of not having a lit screen. I almost feel sorry for her kids, if she thinks they need embedded video, etc. They are going to have the attention span of gnats as adults.

I love reading the comments after articles like this. Really, the Kindle is "a scam"? Based on what? See if the poster had a Kindle he/she could put his/her cursor next to the word "scam" and actually know what the word means.

I'm cranky today.

Lara Amber
I agree that she sounds like she doesn't understand the technology involved. The Kindle is not a mini-laptop!

I had to roll my eyes at the "scam" comment, too, and I'm waiting for someone to call it the "Swindle." ::) People's negative reactions to the Kindle are fascinating! Why are they so intense?

·
Registered
615 Posts
LaraAmber said:
It sounds to me that she doesn't understand what eink is, like they went B&W to save money, vs. better reading experience of not having a lit screen. I almost feel sorry for her kids, if she thinks they need embedded video, etc. They are going to have the attention span of gnats as adults.

I'm cranky today.

Lara Amber
Please remain cranky. I love your style of humor in these notes! Just read the laptop-focused one too.

·
Registered
615 Posts
bkworm8it said:
All I could think about after reading this article was: Carrying my laptop every where with me just to read??? I can see it now, I'm in line at the grocery store and whip out my laptop to read: Excuse me cashier, do you have an outlet I can use? and a place I can set it, because it's heavy??
Too funny!

I WAS and still am planning eventually, to get a notebook but it sure won't be for reading books or carrying around everywhere I go.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
MichelleR said:
This pretty much sums up my thoughts.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
My daughter fell in love with my KK and is now the proud owner of a K2... Her 6 year old son is reading The Chronicles of Narnia with his mom at night before bed on the K2 and now wants to know how old he has to be before he can have a Kindle of his own! ;D

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Angela said:
My daughter fell in love with my KK and is now the proud owner of a K2... Her 6 year old son is reading The Chronicles of Narnia with his mom at night before bed on the K2 and now wants to know how old he has to be before he can have a Kindle of his own! ;D
I confess I haven't let my daughter even see my K2. I know she'd want one and ask for it constantly. Or worse, she'd want to borrow mine all the time! :eek: I read to her, she reads to me, we read together, she loves to read, but a Kindle wouldn't last a single day with her.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts