Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 522 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I wanted to say that all of you who are reading the One Year Bible are in my thoughts when I do my daily reading.

There was something I wanted to share in conjunction with today's reading from Matthew. We read about when Jesus calmed the storm. He was in the boat asleep and the waves were so rough the disciples thought they would perish.

I recently read The Practice of the Presence of God and The Spiritual Maxims by Brother Lawrence. One of his comments which I highlighted to refer to on a regular basis alludes to the scripture in Matthew about Jesus calming the storm. He says, "If the vessel of our soul is still tossed with winds and storms, let us awake the Lord, who reposes in it, and He will quickly calm the sea."

I thought my fellow Bible readers might enjoy that quote. :)

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
First I agree with you, every morning when I am doing my devotion I think of my new friends here.

That is such a wonderful quote and so true. When a situation out of my control causes me to feel like a ship lost at sea I can always find peace through prayer.

Thanks for sharing Suzanne,
Linda

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Suzanne - is this available on kindle?  Sounds like some structure I would like to add to my daily thoughts.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I was looking for a Bible for my kindle that would be simple to understand and could apply to everyday life...which one would you recommend...One Year Bible  Companion or the New Living Translation? I am Catholic and not all that versed on the Bible (I grew up with my catechism) but would like to read a little something from the Bible each day.  I think The One Year Bible might be what I'm looking for ...just don't know which one?  Any recommendations?     

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's available on Kindle. Brother Lawrence was a brother in a monastery in the 1600s and this book is just a collection of some of his thoughts. It's a small book and quickly read.

Cowgirl, I am reading The One Year Bible and I love it. It's The New Living Translation and it's in everyday language, with no thee's and thou's to muck things up. LOL I really like it in the sense that I'll read the whole Bible in a year and having it on my Kindle, it's always up there near the top of my queue on Page 1 of my books to remind me to do my daily reading. The daily reading consists of something from the Old Testament, something from the New Testament, Psalms & Proverbs. It's a nice variety.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I too was wanting to read a bit of the Bible and decided on the One Year Bible New Living Translation.  I am missing some of the thee's and thou's, but it is an easy read. 
debbie

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Cowgirl said:
Thanks...I'm not a thee and thou person either which is why I thought this book would be for me.
I love the OYB and this is my 5th year to use it, not consecutive years. One of the reasons I enjoy it is because there are no thees and thous, you get a scripture from the Old and New Testament, a Psalm and something from Proverbs. Keeps it very interesting. With this bible I find it to be like reading a story.

I think you will enjoy it Cowgirl.

Linda

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Thanks Linda...I one clicked it and it's already downloaded to my kindle.  I will check it out and let you know my thoughts...

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Cowgirl said:
Thanks Linda...I one clicked it and it's already downloaded to my kindle. I will check it out and let you know my thoughts...
Will be interested in hearing what you think.

Do you know a good, uncomplicated book that explains Catholicism? (sp) I read a book on the Islam religion after 911 and found it most interesting.

Thanks,
linda

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I am not the best Catholic to ask about a good Catholic book.  If I hadn't been brought up Catholic I'm not sure I would have chosen it as my religion.  Having said that I have all the Catholic guilt that goes with it. I have sooooooo many issues with the Catholic church which is why I  have a thirst for spiritual and biblical knowledge...both are lacking in Catholicism (IMO).  The older I get the more I question everything and want to know more.  I have an open mind and am always searching and willing to listen to all sides and try not to be judgemental of any religion or lack thereof.  

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I really love my OYB!  I have been reading it yearly since I attended a Women of Faith "mini" session in 1990s and love it now that I can have it on my Kindle. I'm anxious to hear how those of you who are buying it for the first time are enjoying it!  It is just so easy with our Kindles.... you just read that day's reading and go to the first page for the next day's reading and your Kindle takes you right there the next day.
    Suzanne, thanks so much for the quote - I love it!!

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I highly recommend you read the introductin locations. They explain the creation of this translation (and why the thee's and thou's aren't there).

"I was looking for a Bible for my kindle that would be simple to understand and could apply to everyday life...which one would you recommend...One Year Bible  Companion or the New Living Translation? I am Catholic and not all that versed on the Bible (I grew up with my catechism) but would like to read a little something from the Bible each day.  I think The One Year Bible might be what I'm looking for ...just don't know which one?  Any recommendations"

Cowgirl, I think you'll find this much easier to read than the Douay.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
PraiseGod13 said:
I really love my OYB! I have been reading it yearly since I attended a Women of Faith "mini" session in 1990s and love it now that I can have it on my Kindle. I'm anxious to hear how those of you who are buying it for the first time are enjoying it!
I'm loving it. I used to just start at the beginning and work my way through to the end. I actually like getting a bit of the old and new testaments along with a daily dose of psalms and wisdom (Proverbs).

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I did not read the introductions, but I will go back and do that.  Thank you.  I have read many different versions of the Bible over the years and i am enjoying this one very much.  I'm finding it to be a faster read because it's easier to understand.  Also, because it's on my Kindle, I am doing a much better job of keeping up than I have in previous years of attempting a one-year read. 
debbie

1 - 20 of 522 Posts