Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I don't want a two year contract with monthly fees for my Kindle.  I like it being more like an iPod or mp3 player:  pay up front & then I can choose to buy content or add free items.  And if I opt to give it to someone else, it is still fully functional.

However, I do hope that the price drops as Kindles become more mainstream.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Free Kindles mean that you pay for it another way.  Like lynninva said, I don't want contracts, or monthly fees, or higher priced books, or other connection fees, or other hidden charges.  I hate the way phone companies rake us over the coals.

I really like having an upfront cost and then having my data connection for free and less expensive books.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
lynninva said:
I don't want a two year contract with monthly fees for my Kindle. I like it being more like an iPod or mp3 player: pay up front & then I can choose to buy content or add free items. And if I opt to give it to someone else, it is still fully functional.

However, I do hope that the price drops as Kindles become more mainstream.
I agree, I'd rather give my $359 up front and choose to buy content or add free stuff rather than have a $100+ bill every month

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Life Lesson #1: Nothing is ever free.

If the Kindle ever went "no money down/out of pocket," there would likely be some kind of subscription fee. That would probably mean no permanent retention of books you read/buy. You'd only be renting the device. Bleh.

I like the Kindle pricing the way it is: Buy the reader. Load it with whatever you want, however you want.

·
Registered
607 Posts
My cell phone was definitely not "free".  There was stupid rebate forms and separate chargers to buy, activation fees, and then a two year contract.

Even if someone got one free as a student the cost is buried in student fees or taxes.  Employee benefit?  Well that cost to the employer just reduced bonuses or some other perk.

The only way I can see someone getting a "free" Kindle would be if someone like The New York Times did follow e-inks suggestion and gave one away if you paid for a year's newspaper subscription in advance or something similar.  The odds of Amazon doing it?  Pretty close to zero.

Lara Amber

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree.. paying for it upront is better IMO.  If it was a monthly service I believe we'd lose alot of Free books, etc.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
One thing that IMO would be a good option would be a cheaper kindle that didn't have wireless capabilities.  If I could save some bucks by downloading to my computer rather than using whispernet, I'd do so.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I agree with those who prefer keeping it a 'pay the cost up front with no monthly fees' pricing system.  It's the same way TiVo sells it's boxes. . .you pay an initial price and you've bought it for life -- no monthly charge for service.  Verizon is rumored to be in talks with Apple to start offering the iPhone once the exclusive agreement with ATT expires next summer.  I would buy an iPhone in a second if it included lifetime service for no additional charge.  I may anyway, but that sort of offer would make it extremely attractive.. . .

Ann

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Forster said:
One thing that IMO would be a good option would be a cheaper kindle that didn't have wireless capabilities. If I could save some bucks by downloading to my computer rather than using whispernet, I'd do so.
those of us who live out may enjoy that. I accepted that fact due to the rare vacation now has a exciting addition.
sylvia

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Forster said:
One thing that IMO would be a good option would be a cheaper kindle that didn't have wireless capabilities. If I could save some bucks by downloading to my computer rather than using whispernet, I'd do so.
Whispernet service is a big selling point over the Sony E-reader. I'll stick with Little Gertie the way she is.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Kindles won't be free, but prices should come down.  I was surprised that Amazon charged as much for K2 as it did for K1.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd like to much picture this, of course in the future. Like cell phones, now they look closer to a mini laptop, Kindle may evolve to something like all-in-one, or cells may add kindles?

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
As I suspect most people on this board will agree, I do NOT want another all in one.  My K2 is designed and intended for reading.  If I want to read on an all in one, I'll pick up my iPhone, but it provides a pretty crappy reading experience in comparison.  I really really really hope Amazon understands that while a limited amount of multitasking apps are useful, making the Kindle into yet another all in one device destroys what it's best at:  being a reading device.

And I'm another one who hopes they continue to charge whatever they need to for the device if it means I don't have to pay for wireless on my Kindle!  I hate monthly contracts.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
Whispernet service is a big selling point over the Sony E-reader. I'll stick with Little Gertie the way she is.
I'm not saying Whispernet is a bad service or that there isn't value to it, just that there is a cost to it and depending on what that cost is it may or may not be something one wants to buy. I'd rather pay $250 for a k2 w/o it than $359 for one with it.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I don't want an all-in-one either.  No monthly fees either.  The monthly fees was part of what turned me off about iphones, and I didn't buy one.  I'd prefer the ipod touch, but I already have a phone and I already have more than one ipod.  I don't even use my K1 to listen to music, even though that option is available.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts