Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Sudden Death is FREE for your Kindle! It was endorsed by many bestselling authors including James Patterson, Clive Cussler, Wendy Corsi Staub, and Tim Green. If they all liked it, hopefully you will too. The books are sports themed, but as many reviewers have said, "...you don't need to even like sports to enjoy Balkind's novels."

At the UK kindle Store http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VP9VJM/ref=s9_simh_gw_p351_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=09ZB1P73PDNCGDY5VZA5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128533&pf_rd_i=468294

At Smashwords http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/18741

Join the thousands who have already downloaded it. C'mon,you have absolutely nothing to lose, and maybe, just maybe a few hours of entertainment to gain. Read a few chapters and see if they grab you. If not, so what! If yes, let me know! Thanks for your support! I cherish every new reader I get. (Especially my fellow Kindle readers!)

"Pure fun, pure intrigue. The action never stops till a fascinating climax!" Clive Cussler

Dead Ball , the sequel to Sudden Death, has also received many endorsements & 5-star reviews, including these:

"Listen up, sports and mystery fans! Buy DEAD BALL right now. Remember "Bo Knows Sports"? They should update it to "Balkind knows sports (and mysteries too)." John Lescroart

"DEAD BALL is a refreshing new thriller, blending murder, mystery, intrigue and suspense. There is something for everyone!" Jeannine (J.R.) Reardon, Award winning author of Confidential Communications

Please visit my website to read my first chapters, see all the reviews, and win unique prizes. You might even Be Named in one of my Upcoming Novels http://www.balkindbooks.com

Thanks for your support. Kindle readers are the best. (I love my kindle!)
Michael Balkind
http://balkindbooks.com

·
Registered
116 Posts
Michael, Sudden Death is a great read.  People here should snap it up and read it before they see it on the big screen or tv!

Yale R Jaffe
author, Advantage Disadvantage

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Yale.
It seems kindle boards are a very active and friendly site.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea! - Sudden Death Kindle price is now only 99 cents.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Kevis, I tried to put the image up but couldnt. Much obliged.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
  Amazon.com review of Sudden Death

Grabs your attention and never lets go..., April 3, 2009

Prior to purchase, I hoped that this wouldn't be another boring sports thriller where the hero wins a tournament by one shot. "Sudden Death" grabbed my attention from page one and never let go! It's pure intrigue that rates with five star thrillers like Patterson. It contains everything a male reader would enjoy...suspense, sports, money, women, competition AND has things that a female reader would like...a hot male superstar, a touch of romance and the thrill of a chase. I usually figure out a whodunit by the first third of a book. Not this time!! That's how good this book is...I guaranTEE you won't be able to either!!! 

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another review of Sudden Death:

A great read! Even if you're not a master of the game! , November 10, 2008

Michael Balkind's "Sudden Death" is a great read, even if you are not a master of the game. I never would have thought that I would enjoy unraveling the mystery of golf while unraveling a mystery in a book. And believe me, I enjoyed all of it - A very, enjoyable quick read.

Sudden Death will keep you guessing right up until the exciting end!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Michael, I'm really looking forward to reading your new book. I'm currently working in Kandahar, Afghanistan and I purchased a Kindle back in February. However, I won't get my hands on it until I return on vacation in May. My wife just downloaded your book for me and I'm really excited about reading it as soon as I actually meet my new Kindle. I grew up in South Carolina and my father worked at the Masters for over 30 years, so I grew up walking the course among the PGA heros in the 60's, 70's and early 80's. In fact, the Masters was so important in our life, I had to ask my wife to reschedule our wedding date to deconflict with Masters weekend! That was 22 years ago and she hasn't let me forget it! :)

Take care a good luck with your new book!! Can't wait to read it myself.

Cheers,

Big Al in Afghanistan

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another amazon review -

Great read with many twists and turns!
By Carolyn A. Doyle "John Doyle"

Sudden Death is an action packed story and the author keeps you in suspense throughout. I found myself drifting into the character of Reid Clark as he dealt with the full range of emotions the story delivers. Whether it be the sleepless nights or the new and re-newed relationships he encounters, the reader is kept in the moment.

You don't have to be a golfer to enjoy the story or the cast of characters. Balkind is a talented writer and I look forward to his future offerings.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
5 stars An exciting look into pro golf as well as a mystery!, July 14, 2008
By ellen "ellen in atlanta"
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

When you see on the cover of a book testimonials by James Patterson, Clive Cussler, Tim Green, and other big hitters, you pay attention.
Reid Clark is named by the press as 'The Bad Boy of Golf'. Think John McEnroe only more volatile! He is a brilliant player on the PGA, but shoots himself in the foot with his temper. He has made some enemies, but never would he have thought that someone wanted to kill him.
He plays The Masters under death threats, and he continues on toward The Classic where the threats escalate: if Reid wins the tournament, he will die.
Reid is surrounded by security and family, and starts transforming from 'Bad Boy' into a well rounded man who happens to be one of the top golf players in the world. He learns it isn't 'all about him' and starts to understand what the truly important things in life are.
It is all about golf - the play, the endorsements, the risks, but also is about Reid's progression to see what is truly most important in his life.
Balkind writes with amazing clarity that puts you there in the middle of the action of play on the greens - We come to like Reid, and Balkind's character portrayals are eloquent in their execution.
You will learn a lot about golf reading this book. You will also be in for a great treat as it is a top notch mystery too.
It will make one heck of a movie -
Think you'll have fun with this one too.
Those of us who are terrible golfers, but think we are much better, and those who truly know the game and do well at it, will love this book equally - I usually get relegated to driving the cart!! But know it takes lots of skill to play the game, and to play under more pressure than just winning the tournament takes more than determination - focus focus focus.
Excellent read!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Grisham of the Greens

It's an age-old duffer's dilemma: If you're passionate enough about golf, you'd probably rather be
out playing the sport than writing about it. Perhaps that explains why there are so few breakout
novels about the links-and why the success of Sudden Death, Katonah writer Michael Balkind's
first book, is the literary equivalent of a hole in one.

A mystery novel with pulpy rat-a-tat-tat prose, it follows Reid Clark, a Jack Nicklaus type, who
gets a death threat at The Masters and faces even higher stakes at the fictional Westchester
Classic (a stand-in for The Barclays, née the Buick Classic). Just as thrilling as the plot,
however, is the novel's backstory. Like most newbie novelists, he was basically on his own to
promote the book. His strategy? Get it in the hands of literary legends Clive Cussler and James
Patterson (a part-time Scarborough resident), which, miraculously, he did. Both gave the book
glowing endorsements. Balkind then turned his Jeep into a mobile form of "guerrilla marketing,"
covered in quotes and jacket art. And, finally, he canvassed the county, visiting every local
course, colleague, restaurant, and business he'd mentioned in the pages (and there are lots).
Naturally, they all bought a few copies, and their friends followed suit, and pretty soon Balkind
was appearing on ESPN and the book was selling out on Amazon.com.

By June, it had been optioned for TV by Marc Entertainment and he was at work on a series of
sports whodunits, Deadly Sports Mysteries. Readers can even visit his website (balkindbooks.
com) to enter a contest to be a character in his next novel. Just remember, though, he'll probably
have to kill you off. -T.M. InTown Magazine June 25th, 2008

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
To all you Kindleboarders who have purchased Sudden Death - Thank you so much for your support!!
Please let me know if you enjoyed the book. 
(I may have to write a sports mystery involving Kindleboarding!)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Applehart -
I found this comment on Mike Monahan's Barracuda page.
"I am reading Chapter 19 of SUDDEN DEATH, so far I have 3 suspects but no murder(ed) victim(s) yet.... So far, Reid is becomming real to me and I'm hoping he's not doomed..."

I hope you are enjoying Sudden Death. And I highly recommend Mike Monahan's book, Barracuda.

Thanks for your info on the Deadly Ink Mystery Conference. I'm going to check it out.

Michael

1 - 20 of 63 Posts