Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I've got 51 pages of books listed from my home screen! I cannot see going through each book & deleting.
Do you thing the best way to free up space is to just reset to factory & only d'l the few books I'm actually reading?
(Obviously everything is still in the Cloud on Amazon's servers)

And it goes without saying that my Fire's carousel is out of control! LOL

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm sure if this is good for the Kindle, so you may want to wait for a second opinion, but on the occasions I want to delete many books at once I hook the Kindle up to the computer and delete that way.

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
JamieLynn832002 said:
I'm sure if this is good for the Kindle, so you may want to wait for a second opinion, but on the occasions I want to delete many books at once I hook the Kindle up to the computer and delete that way.
The problem with this method is that it will not, necessarily, release the 'license usage'. Remember, for books bought from Amazon there is generally a 'simultaneous device' limit. Usually it's 6, but sometimes it's less, and some book say 'unlimited'.

If you just delete them using file management on your computer, Amazon will not know that it's been removed from that device. So if you do this too many times, you may end up with a book that Amazon thinks is already on 6 devices, even though you only have it on one, and they won't let you d/l it to another. :-\

Much better to delete manually, or, if you want to do a clean sweep, just do a 'reset to factory'.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
CegAbq said:
and I've got 51 pages of books listed from my home screen! I cannot see going through each book & deleting.
Do you thing the best way to free up space is to just reset to factory & only d'l the few books I'm actually reading?
(Obviously everything is still in the Cloud on Amazon's servers)

And it goes without saying that my Fire's carousel is out of control! LOL
51 pages? ;D I'd do a factory reset. Do you have any books you got from sources other than Amazon? Be sure to back them up first if you do, and can figure out which ones they are. :)

Betsy

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ann & Betsy. I figured a reset was what I'd need to do. Just wanted to double-check about that first.
And good point about the books from other sources. However, at this point I have no idea what those might be!  ;D
But I do think they are backed up on my computer anyway.
So this weekend's project will be to reset and get my baby cleaned out.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I did a factory reset a few months ago because my 2-year old Kindle Keyboard was beginning to lock up. I think I had 60 pages of books. With a factory reset, I didn't have to think about which books to delete, it took all of them. Then I put back on only the books that I wanted right away. It's creeping back up, I'm up to about 10 pages now. My Kindle is working just fine after the reset.

In the long run, I think there needs to be some restructuring of items in the cloud. It's messy enough after a couple years of having the Kindle, what about after a couple decades? It might be a good idea to have books separated in the cloud by genre, so we could browse them like a well-organized bookshelf.

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
QuantumIguana said:
I did a factory reset a few months ago because my 2-year old Kindle Keyboard was beginning to lock up. I think I had 60 pages of books. With a factory reset, I didn't have to think about which books to delete, it took all of them. Then I put back on only the books that I wanted right away. It's creeping back up, I'm up to about 10 pages now. My Kindle is working just fine after the reset.

In the long run, I think there needs to be some restructuring of items in the cloud. It's messy enough after a couple years of having the Kindle, what about after a couple decades? It might be a good idea to have books separated in the cloud by genre, so we could browse them like a well-organized bookshelf.
If you load Kindle for PC on your computer (or, I presume the one for Macs) you can make collections there even for books that are NOT imported to the Kindle for PC. So you can organize your cloud a bit that way. And then, when you get a new kindle, or do a full re-boot of one you have, you can load those collections so that books go where you want 'em to. :)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did the reset this AM! Essentially a brand new Kindle  ;D
It's all those free Kindle books I keep collecting & never reading. But that's better than huge piles & shelves of DTBs.  :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts