Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Sarah Nivala and I am the Assistant Director of Marketing at Inkshares, an award-winning book publisher and author community.

Join fellow novelists in submitting your partial or finished manuscripts to the Inkshares All-Genre Manuscript Contest, open November 7th through February 28th, 2021. There is no fee to enter the contest. Inkshares will select at least three authors to grant publishing deals (and representation in TV/film, audiobook, and foreign rights). The top three books will be determined through a combination of community engagement, our proprietary technology, Story Machine, and independent evaluation by the Inkshares Story Board.

Novels we've published over the past few years from similar contests have been praised by every major review including the New York Times and reached the top of Amazon's charts. They've been licensed by the major houses in every single major foreign territory and are being adapted at the best studios and networks: Warner Brothers, Lionsgate, Amazon, and Showtime, amongst others. We believe that the most talented storytellers of tomorrow are unknown today.

Any questions? Please email [email protected]

Edited to remove all-caps from thread title. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca

·
Registered
267 Posts
Copy one paragraph from Inkshares contract:

"This is a book-publishing contract.
You write; we publish. You agree to collaborate with our editorial team and provide us with a finished manuscript. Contingent on a successful crowdfunding campaign (i.e., one that meets or exceeds the pre-order threshold designated by Inkshares), we agree to print, publish, and sell your book (we use “we” throughout this contract to refer to Inkshares)."

Does that mean you, the author, must meet presale numbers requirements BEFORE you actually get a publishing contract? Inkshares chooses the presale threshold it requires. Why would any author agree to that, I wonder?

·
Registered
145 Posts
boxer44 said:
Copy one paragraph from Inkshares contract:

"This is a book-publishing contract.
You write; we publish. You agree to collaborate with our editorial team and provide us with a finished manuscript. Contingent on a successful crowdfunding campaign (i.e., one that meets or exceeds the pre-order threshold designated by Inkshares), we agree to print, publish, and sell your book (we use "we" throughout this contract to refer to Inkshares)."

Does that mean you, the author, must meet presale numbers requirements BEFORE you actually get a publishing contract? Inkshares chooses the presale threshold it requires. Why would any author agree to that, I wonder?
Yeah, that's not the way real publishers work. Sounds very sketchy to me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great Gozilla's Gonads! People are still pushing this nonsense? Well, I guess they will so long as other people fall for it.
The print run and marketing costs are the financial risks a reputable publisher assumes. It's their alone. Not the writer's. They have distribution and a sales team. It's the main reason to go with a publisher.

·
Registered
267 Posts
And, if you read farther into the contract guidelines, the writer gets a very limited royalty, and only AFTER all publishing costs get paid FIRST.

This group has been up on other author forums in the past, and most times, gets lost very quickly. It appears if you already have a great buyer list and good promotions, then you get to share both your writing proceeds and your promotional proceeds with a publisher that charges the writer for everything it does and then shares the revenue with itself. 

I suggest any author do your own homework, and investigate any and all claims 'publishers' make, and any expenses that accrue to your work before you sign anything. That's holds with any publishing contract today, not just this one.

·
Registered
226 Posts
InksharesPublishing said:
Novels we've published over the past few years from similar contests have been praised by every major review including the New York Times and reached the top of Amazon's charts. They've been licensed by the major houses in every single major foreign territory and are being adapted at the best studios and networks: Warner Brothers, Lionsgate, Amazon, and Showtime, amongst others.
Unh... Wanna name those titles? (Why am I not holding my breath. ;))

·
Super Moderator
10,095 Posts
Greetings, Sarah! You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe.

Please note that the use of all-caps is against our rules. I've corrected your thread title accordingly. You can find rules like these in our Forum Decorum (see pinned threads).

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages, found here: http://www.kboards.com/yp/. The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again when you want to post.

You may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (as I'm doing with this post), you may reply to them, but otherwise you must wait seven days. Any pattern of posting designed to artificially bump your thread to the top of the forum is prohibited. Please note that very short or (one- or two-word) posts with no meaningful information are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion.

Lastly, your posts and images will need to meet our "forum decorum" guidelines, which is the case for every member.

You may find that members ask searching questions -- about how your service works, for example, or what they will get for their money, or whether your service adheres to Amazon's terms of service. Such "vetting" is a common here and can be rigorous.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service in this thread. That includes sharing both positive and negative experiences/interactions they've had with you or your service. You may respond to criticism in a civil manner, but name-calling, badgering, accusations of lying, and other breaches of forum decorum can lead to loss of vendor posting privileges.

Any and all disputes between you and your clients should be handled off-site.

Thanks,
Becca
KBoards Moderator

Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.

Vendor threads are permitted in the Writers' Cafe not only as a form of advertising that benefits vendors but also to provide one location where reviews of vendors can be concentrated and more easily brought to the attention of the whole community. For this reason, we make a reasonable attempt to maintain threads even for vendors with whom multiple customers report negative experiences.

·
Registered
7,615 Posts
MMSN said:
Unh... Wanna name those titles? (Why am I not holding my breath. ;))
We ever going to get those titles? It's been more than a week, seems the OP isn't coming back to answer or respond in any way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts