Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Operation Backpack Fundraiser

Each year, I hold a fundraiser to support Operation Backpack. The program is sponsored by Volunteers of America and provides school supplies for homeless children and those in foster care. It's a program that I am passionate about, because education is the key to breaking the cycle of poverty that leaves so many children in these conditions in the first place.

I've discussed a special fundraising bundle with the team over at onebookshelf.com (owners of drivethruhorror, drivethrurpg, and several other genre/gaming sites) and they have agreed to help promote the fundraiser one it goes live. I am asking now for donations of free copies of ebooks to include in the bundle.

I am setting up a special charity product that will only be available through OBS sites. The bundle will sell for $20 and all proceeds will be donated to Operation Backpack. When a customer "buys" the donation pack, they will be able to download a zip file containing books from participating authors.

If you have a fantasy, horror, or sci-fi book, this is a great opportunity to support a wonderful charity while reaching a target demographic that loved digital products. It won't cost you anything but a digital copy of your book to be included with the bundle. The bundle will only be sold during the month of August, and then deactivated from sale.

Ideally, I would want to set up two mirror products, one for Kindle files and one for PDF files (the client base is accustomed to PDF files). So customers would get one or the other set of files, but not both.

I'm still fleshing out the details. If you are interested in participating, please email me directly at jdawson(at)bardsandsages(dot)com. This is open to any speculative fiction, including paranormal romances (but not erotica).

http://www.voa.org/Support-Operation-Backpack?gclid=CLyqrpTnlaoCFYgH2godR2qiww

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys.  Send you both emails with the details.

I'm setting up a page on my website in the next couple of days to use as a launch point for the charity promotion, which will start August 1.  Anyone who wants to participate needs to contact me no later than July 29th, because I have to get the product set up for August 1 launch.  Once it is set up, I can't add to it because it becomes a logistical nightmare. 

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know people are caught up in very important debates on the board, but I am disappointed by the lack of public support for an educational fundraiser.

If you're sending Julie emails, please post to keep this bumped. If you can't contribute but think this is a worthy cause, post.

If you honestly have no reason to care about kids who live in poverty, then by all means, post or PM me. I could use the names for my horror stories, saves me time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JRLeckman said:
I know people are caught up in very important debates on the board, but I am disappointed by the lack of public support for an educational fundraiser.
I think people were just too busy melting away over the weekend from the darn heat! Air conditioner in my office is down and I was having a bear of a time keeping myself at the keyboard to get any work done. Folks at KB have always been rather generous, so I'm sure people will jump on board once they stop falling over from heat exhaustion. ;D

This is the preliminary page I have set up. Before the event goes live, I will add links to participating author/publisher sites.

http://www.bardsandsages.com/charity

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
This is a wonderful idea; I wish you a lot of luck.

The Staples by us collects school supplies for programs similar to this-- I think it's great and SO easy with the sales they have right now.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
I wish I had a book to donate to you Julie. I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've taught some of these kids, and they desperately need all of the help and support we can give them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BTackitt said:
I wish I had a book to donate to you *****. I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've taught some of these kids, and they desperately need all of the help and support we can give them.
I'll appreciate any help spreading the word once the project goes live. ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have updated the page with the names of those who have completed sending me all the required files.

http://www.bardsandsages.com/charity

If you haven't sent me all your stuff yet, plz get it to me before the 30th so I have time to get everything set up.

If you DID send me all your stuff and I don't have you on the page, email me and tell me to get my act together. :eek: ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Getting down to the wire.  I need everything by Saturday to have this live on August 1.  I have to get everything set up by Saturday night/Sunday morning to give Matt time to code the promo on the Drivethrufantasy site. 

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I have everything set up!

If you would like to link to the charity bundle on your own website, you can select the site that best fits with your genre to use as a link.

Drivethrufantasy.com
Drivethruhorror.com
Drivethruscifi.com

For those of you who are curious, you can change the source code at the end with your site info. That will allow me to actually track your specific link and let you know if your specific link generated sales. You would do this by deleting the "KB" at the end of the link and adding your site name without spaces. So the &src=KB would become &src=bardsandsages if I was going to track my site. If you do alter the code and want me to track it, just PM me so I know what you changed it to so when I run my report at the end of the month I know what to look for.

When I send out my monthly newsletter tonight, I am going to include the PDF copy of the promo material (see the preview at the bottom of the product page).

It's too late to add more products to the file, but if you want to help promote the bundle there are Facebook like and Tweet buttons on the product page that you can use to share the link with friends.

Thank you to everyone who donated copies of their books!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts