Kindle Forum banner

Should I request a new K2 for this fading problem?

• Yes - it shouldn't fade like that

Votes: 15 100.0%
  • No - chances are the replacement will be the same

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided - you can still read it

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I voted yes......you paid a lot for the Kindle.....it should function properly. Fortunately I tested my K2 in the sun yesterday and it didn't appear to have this issue.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I voted yes - it shouldn't do that either.

(BTW: which book is that?)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I would return the thing and get a refund (assuming you still can) and then buy a used K1 which doesn't have all of these problems.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think you should ask for a replacement or a refund, your choice.  Even your "normal" print looks faded to me.  If you can't use it outside as advertised, they need to replace the obviously defective product.  In my opinion. 

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
patterns change and reading locals change. you may not read much outside much now but who knows what the future brings. the device should not fade and you should be able to read inside or outside the window.
sylvia

·
Registered
392 Posts
Trekker said:
I already have a K1 which doesn't fade and the contrast is MUCH better (lighter background, darker text.) I do like the slimness of the K2 and the button layout better.

I just sent them a reply to the email survey they sent me when I first called about the issue and provided links to the pictures. I also asked for a replacement. I'll follow up with a phone call.

Does anybody have Jeff Bezos email address? I'd like to send him the pictures (even if his email is screened by his staff, maybe it'll get through.) I'm sure he has to be aware of this problem and probably doesn't know what to do at this time. Dare I mention the word recall?
[email protected] - I got an e-mail drom his executive assistant who assured me he reads his e-mails.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah, for $359... you should ask for a replacement.

·
Registered
320 Posts
It may be the picture, but even your normal looks dark (I have a k2 and know there are some people complaining about how dark the background is) So if it is the picture I'm assuming your in light is even lighter in real life. I'd think you need to call.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm curious... are those screen shots taken from the Kindle?  id be interested to see what differences a screen shot shows between the two settings...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I experienced this same problem. But chose not to return it since

1-I don't read outside very much
2-When I do read outside it doesn't always happen
3-I applied a $40 skin to my kindle and don't want to have to buy another one for an RMA.

So far so good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I called CS and suggested that the pictures of people reading outdoors may be reason for a claim of false advertising.  I got my replacement Kindle within 48 hours.  It is better, but not perfect.

Actually the CS guy was really nice about it, but I did mention the pictures of smiling people reading in the sunshine.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Kathy said:
I don't think it will get better, but you might ask if there is fix for the problem.
There is a fix for the problem and it is a new K2. When I talked to customer service, I was promised a new K2 the next day and told I would have 30 days to return the original one/
When the new one arrived, I took it out into the sunshine, and it was fine.

patrisha

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
patrisha #150 said:
There is a fix for the problem and it is a new K2. When I talked to customer service, I was promised a new K2 the next day and told I would have 30 days to return the original one/
When the new one arrived, I took it out into the sunshine, and it was fine.

patrisha
I also had my Kindle replaced for the sun fading issue. My replacement arrived Tuesday, March 31. It did not fade but the text was lighter. However, it still had 2.0.0. Today the Kindle updated to 2.0.2 and the text is now as dark as I remember on the earlier Kindle.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I got to read, on my k2 outside in the sun for the first time today. I didn't notice anything fading at all. I'd get a replacement if i were you.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I tried mine in the sun and nothing much happened. However I do think Amazon should have made the text darker, it was never quite as dark as I would prefer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts