Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My husband will be going into the hospital in June to have hip replacement surgery.  He's a big reader and I was thinking of buying him a Kindle so he can have a bunch of books and comfortably switch back and forth while he's in there for 4 days and then for the several weeks recuperating at home.

I'm wondering if it's safe for him to have the device in the hospital.  If he falls asleep and leaves it on a table next to the bed will it disappear?

I don't want to sound paranoid or anything but I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I think the Kindle is a great idea, but not for while he's in the hospital.  Yes, there's a risk of theft.  (sorry to all the great hospital staff out there.)  My mother-in-law had the rings stolen off her hands in the hospital.  (it was an emergency situation and we just didn't think to take them.)

Plus, just after surgery, he's not going to feel like reading right away anyway.  One book for the four day surgery stay will probably suffice, then he'll have the Kindle waiting for him at home.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Patients are advised not to bring expensive items to the hospital. They have a bad habit of disappearing. And, like Betsy said, he may not feel like reading in the immediate post-op period, either.

On the other hand, you might appreciate having the Kindle, to read while you are in the waiting room or visiting (and he's sleeping). When your husband gets home and is convalescing, I am sure the Kindle will be great.

L

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
Patients are advised not to bring expensive items to the hospital. They have a bad habit of disappearing. And, like Betsy said, he may not feel like reading in the immediate post-op period, either.

On the other hand, you might appreciate having the Kindle, to read while you are in the waiting room or visiting (and he's sleeping). When your husband gets home and is convalescing, I am sure the Kindle will be great.

L
Leslie, good point!

Betsy

·
Registered
621 Posts
Speaking as someone who has had this surgery and is also an avid reader, although I brought a paperback book in with me, it basically sat there decorating my bed for a couple of days! This was preKindle days for me but, as someone has remarked, a patient is warned not to bring valuable stuff in with them.

patrisha

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Definitely will need a kindle when he gets home.  As Leslie said you might want one to read while waiting, or being with him.

Good luck and healing thoughts to your husband, and to you.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Sure there is a risk of theft, but that didn't stop my dh from taking his ipod to the hospital. I'd get him the kindle and let him decide if he wants to take it. When I've been hospitalized it was hard to concentrate on reading a novel. Now the lap top is another story. I'd love taking that, because cruising the internet doesn't require the same level of concentration.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I would get him the Kindle. Bring it to the hospital when he is ready to read (ie not groggy and feeling miserable). I know that my Aunt ended up spending three days sitting on a mechanical bike after she had knee replacement surgery. She went througha ton of books. I do not know what the physical therapy is like for hip replacement, but if it is anything like that, I am sure he would appreciate the Kindle.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes buy him one and for sure he will be delighted about it. Bring the book to the hospital when you can attend to him and bring it again with you. or You can wait until you went home to recuperate where he can enjoy reading it more.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
A kindle would be great for a hospital stay. That is actually a great idea. There is nothing to be paranoid about when it comes to hospitals. I can see what you are worried about, but if you check up on him you can also check on it to see if it is still there.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Get a big chain and padlock and wrap it around the kindle and keep the key in your purse  :D

Seriously he might only want to read when you are there, he will be more alert then, and you can keep control of it when he is sleeping.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My Mom has had both hips replaced. She's an avid reader but did not read much in the hospital. You're on some pretty decent pain meds while in there and they don't like to keep you in the hospital for very long so by the time you're up for reading you are at home! I wouldn't take a kindle in there with me, they take you out of the room quite a bit for PT.

He'll love having one at home, there is a lot of sitting around as he recouperates.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Perhaps when he's home and has a bit of energy ... it might be an okay idea to have a Kindle. Not too sure about the hospital though.

·
Registered
286 Posts
First, I want to wish your husband all the best with his up and coming hip-replacement surgery.  Second, to be on the safe side, you can give him a DTB for the time being and surprise him later on his return home from surgery.

I also came up with another idea, which may or may not happen, but it's another option.  How 'bout reading to him, especially post-surgery when he's too weak to even turn a page?  Not only will that bring you closer to him, as I'm sure you already are, but I think it will be a pleasant experience between the two of you.  I appreciated my mother reading to me after my reconstructive jaw surgery at 18.  Also, I don't think the text-to-speech feature will sound as good as your own voice reading to him. 

Again, I wish him all the best and to his health.   :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I recently spent spent some time in the hospital... at first was very worried about my K.  I lasted for a whole 3 days before I had my husband bring it to me.  The plan was for me to keep it in my pillow case when I was sleeping, but i was terrified that I'd roll wrong or that it would fall out onto the floor while I was sleeping.  So I ended up storing it in the bedside drawer next to the BIBLE that the hospital provided.  Then I pushed the chair they brought me to sit in during the day in front of that.  Needless to say the only enquiry I got about it was when my doctor came in and told me that he had recently purchased one for his daughter and asked me how i liked mine.  the rest of the time people just assumed that it was a planner or something and ignored it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My husband was in the hospital for a week in early February, and I would have loved to have had my Kindle.  I spent a lot of time either waiting for him or watching him sleep, and I carried multiple paperbacks so as not to run out of reading material.  He is going back in next week for surgery, and I'm counting on my Kindle to get me through.

That said, you might not want to leave a Kindle with your husband.  Not only is theft an issue, but things get knocked off those rolling bed tables pretty easily.  He might fall asleep reading and drop it too.  I bet he would really enjoy one during the recuperation period, and you'll find it invaluable yourself during his stay.

Good luck and best wishes to both of you.

KH

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
My mother had a pair of earrings and a cellphone disappear when she was at the hospital. It's not always theft, but sometimes things get misplaced. She went to a couple rehabs after the hospital and was strong;y urged not to leave anything around of value.

A friend of mine recently went through a similar process with her own mom, and rings were stolen from her mother's hands -- quite possibly after she passed away.

The Kindle should be, imo, an item that goes home with you at night. Maybe an incentive for him to do his rehab.  ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had both knees replaced (at different times) and I really wasn't able to concentrate well enough to read a novel.  (Pain meds and constant interruptions)  What I enjoyed more than anything was just having someone there to talk to.  My daughters took turns staying with me during the day and we had so much fun.  Honestly!  It gave us a lot of time to get close.  Hope everything goes well for your husband.  I think when he gets home he'll love having a Kindle to read.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
ElLector said:
I also came up with another idea, which may or may not happen, but it's another option. How 'bout reading to him, especially post-surgery when he's too weak to even turn a page? Not only will that bring you closer to him, as I'm sure you already are, but I think it will be a pleasant experience between the two of you. I appreciated my mother reading to me after my reconstructive jaw surgery at 18. Also, I don't think the text-to-speech feature will sound as good as your own voice reading to him.
That's sweet, El! Of course, if my DH tried to read to me I would probably want to stick something in my ear, but it's the thought that counts. ;D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts