Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of redoing my covers on my first series and have already created a new cover for book 1. I did this because I thought the new cover would be easier to see as a thumbnail, as would the title and author name.

Would y'all give me your opinion of the two covers and help me either realize I'm doing the right thing or making a huge mistake. I've also included the blurb (which is possibly a whole 'nother post, but...) for ECHO so you can get a feel for the story.

Thanks so much!

ECHO's blurb:

He's the one she's been dreaming of... but is he the one she's destined to be with?

Tara McAllister has her life figured out: graduate from college, get a job teaching at her old high school, and find a boyfriend that won't care that she's a practicing witch. Everything is falling into place...until the visions begin. Tara's practice has given her a gift--she sees the future. And for her, it includes a gorgeous man that she's never met but definitely knows. She can feel it. Now all she has to do is find him.

Derek Williams just wants to get by. He goes to school, works to help support his family, and enjoys the occasional party with his friends--as long as his gift doesn't create a problem. Derek is an empath, born to feel what others feel and able to change their emotions with a touch. His inherited gift comes with an added benefit--the ability to find his soul mate, the one person he's meant to be with. And he's found her; he just has to convince her of their connection.

As their relationship heats up and their abilities grow stronger, Tara and Derek must overcome the objection of family and friends, the advances of former flames, and a secret that could ruin them both--if their love is to survive.

Cover images:

·
Registered
262 Posts
The new one is definitely easier to read, but I don't like the font in the subtitle.  I thought the 1 was a |.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Please take what you need from my critique, and leave the rest:

While the new one is easier to read I think it isn't as nice, I really prefer the original. The typefaces aren't appealing to me, and feel too hard edged. You had a really nice typography balance happening on the first book, why not simply lightening the existing typeface? And then bringing the couple out from the darkness a little more so they're not quite so faded.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Disclaimer: I really know nothing about cover art.

The problem I see with the first one is the guy looks like he may be a girl. If I'm not the only one, that gives mixed signals to readers. If a reader thinks it's two girls, the reader will be disappointed in the book. If the reader doesn't care for lesbian stories, that person won't even click on the image. 

·
Registered
13,312 Posts
Sapphire said:
The problem I see with the first one is the guy looks like he may be a girl. If I'm not the only one, that gives mixed signals to readers. If a reader thinks it's two girls, the reader will be disappointed in the book. If the reader doesn't care for lesbian stories, that person won't even click on the image.
I had the same reaction. It looks like two girls.

G

·
Easy.

New one is awesome / perfect.

Bin the old one.

Why?

New one = Obvious romance piece, looks good.

Old one = I'm squinting. Can't see what's going on. Look amateur.

End of discussion

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Scarlett_R said:
Please take what you need from my critique, and leave the rest:

While the new one is easier to read I think it isn't as nice, I really prefer the original. The typefaces aren't appealing to me, and feel too hard edged. You had a really nice typography balance happening on the first book, why not simply lightening the existing typeface? And then bringing the couple out from the darkness a little more so they're not quite so faded.
Yep.

Also, the second one's ratio is all messed up. The people are squished and stretched. I never touch a book where that's the case.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
2nd has better colors and is more feminine. 1st one has better text work (the no.2's text is just too plain). Combine both with adjusting colors of text for a new one and you'll have a winner. And yeah, image does look distorted on v2..

But still, v2 is much improved I think already. :)

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Sounds like a mix of the two would work better. Old one a bit brighter and more of a 'male' figure. :)

Re the blurb.
I like it but I think the last sentence could work better if you swap the final part as it might have more impact.

As their relationship heats up and their abilities grow stronger, Tara and Derek must overcome the objection of family and friends, the advances of former flames, and a secret that could ruin them both--if their love is to survive.

As their relationship heats up and their abilities grow stronger, Tara and Derek must overcome the objections of family and friends, the advances of former flames, and if their love is to survive - a secret that could ruin them both.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you to everyone who took the time to share your opinions of the two covers. Sometimes one can't see when one is too close to the object (emotionally). I will take into consideration all comments and hopefully come out with a much better product.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts