Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

First of all Kindle is the BEST!! I bought my first electronic book in 2001. It was the RCA 1100. I paid $299 for it but don't remember what I paid for the books. In one of the articles below it says there were only 4,000 titles available. I saw it and bought it at Circuit City. The 1100 was heavier than the Kindle and a slow download connection through the telephone wire. The one good thing was a screen keyboard and you used a stylus to type on the keyboard. Also no matter the size of the font I think the pages renumbered and I didn't have to deal with page locations.

I copied web links to articles on the RCA 1100 with some of what the article is about and have listed those below. One of the links is to an article about Oprah giving them to her audience and endorsing the RCA EBook.

http://www.planetebook.com/mainpage.asp?webpageid=15&TBToolID=1067
The REB 1100 gives new meaning to the term "light reading." About the size of a paperback book, and weighing about 1 pound, the REB 1100 provides a reading experience just as good as a traditional book, but with powerful electronic features such as a built-in dictionary, word search, and touch screen for notes, highlighting and bookmarks. The Gemstar eBook™ is all about being simple and convenient. You can turn pages, change the text orientation, enlarge the font size and turn on a back light for the screen just by pushing a button.

REB 1100 $299
Specifications
Weight: 17 ounces
8MB (enough for about 20 books) upgradeable with SmartMedia™ cards (8MB - 72MB) so it can hold several hundred books
Battery: rechargeable Lithium-Ion internal batteries capable of 15 hours with the back-light on and 35 hours with the back-light off
Back lit (4.75" x 3") Monochrome STN LCD Touch screen
Communications: internal V.34+, 33.6K modem, USB port for PC connection, Infrared port (IrDA 1.0)

REB 1200 Color Screen $699

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/news/2000/11/40291
Oprah Gives A-OK to E-Books
M.J. Rose 11.21.00
How much influence does Oprah Winfrey have? The electronic book industry can't wait to find out.
By featuring the REB1100 on her Nov. 17 TV show, Oprah might have done more for e-books in a matter of minutes than all the publicity about Stephen King's e-book has garnered combined.

http://www.usaweekend.com/01_issues/010715/010715techsmart.html
E-books: Hot or not?
Summer reading loaded, off I strolled into sand, surf and the strange new world of electronic literature.

I'm a married man. But I have another relationship -- one outside my marriage that predates it. I couldn't hide it, even if I wanted to. The evidence is all over my house, even in our bedroom. Thank goodness, my wife understands.
I have a love affair with books. In fact, my wife's a bookworm, too.
Contributing Editor Jim Louderback is editor of TechTV

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA213862.html
E-Books Go to College
A survey of students in two college courses grades e-book devices and their function in higher education
By Lori Bell, Virginia McCoy and Tom Peters -- Library Journal, 5/1/2002

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1023-256938.html
May 2, 2001 5:30 PM PDT

E-book devices yet to hit bestseller's list
By Gwendolyn Mariano
Staff Writer, CNET News

He added the company now offers 4,000 titles with its REB1100 and REB1200 e-book devices.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The REB was the first ereader I used. I used to check it out at the base library. I was twelve in 2001 and reading the Nanny Diaries. (i'd finished the nancy drew and the hardy boys series in the fifth grade.

·
Registered
869 Posts
What a trip down memory lane  ;)

I remember seeing this being advertised and believe I may have even seen it in a store.

That's about it.  I'm sure the cost would've scared me away.

Very glad it didn't with the Kindle,

Marci

·
Registered
277 Posts
Oh I remember lusting after that!  I first saw one when I was recovering from surgery and was bored silly.  Then soon after that I moved up here and bought a house - that was the end of extra expenses for a while!  I've finally gotten to the point where I get to have my little luxuries and toys and I'm so glad.  :D

And the 4000 books really makes you think - what a long way e-books have come in 7 years!  Makes you wonder what we'll be reading on in 7 more years.... :eek:

Katiekat

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Avalon3 said:
The one good thing was a screen keyboard and you used a stylus to type on the keyboard. Also no matter the size of the font I think the pages renumbered and I didn't have to deal with page locations.

Another feature of the RCA EBook was to search just within the book you are reading. I would like to be able just to search within the book I'm reading on Kindle.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Avalon3 said:
Another feature of the RCA EBook was to search just within the book you are reading. I would like to be able just to search within the book I'm reading on Kindle.
It seems crazy that the Kindle won't seach within a book. So it only searches the whole library? Maybe we'll get a software update that will allow that.

Yes, I'm still waiting on my Kindle. Hopefully it'll be under the tree. ;D

·
Super Moderator
67,556 Posts
I haven't done a lot of searching but my impression is that if you do a search, the first responses are from the book you're in and only later the rest of your library and wikipedia.  And it probably doesn't go to wikipedia if WN is not on.

Ann

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've done a lot of searches. Just now it searched all 400 books and brought up over 325 results even though I did the search from the book I was reading in at the time. It takes a longer time to search all 400 books and it would be good if it could just search the book I'm in.

My Whispernet is turned off as I'm not looking for results on the web.

G

·
And the 4000 books really makes you think - what a long way e-books have come in 7 years! Makes you wonder what we'll be reading on in 7 more years....

Katiekat
Wireless dowloads to the brain...weee!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.