Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought into the Oprah really loving Kindle.  Didn't think she was making 10%.

www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/11/03/oprah-gushes-on-amazons-kindle-reader/?icid=100214839x1212423930x1200758945

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
Considering where she started and where she is now, I think smart business woman is a given.

Ann
Betsy the Quilter said:
Well, she could love the product AND be a smart business woman....

:)

Betsy

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I appreciate the $50 discount, but I don't want to be contributing to Oprah's bank account. 

·
Registered
509 Posts
The blog  writer has no idea what terms are contained in the contractual arrangement between HARPO and Amazon. My business sense tells me that HARPO was paid upfront for the product placement and that would supercede the regular Amazon referral deal. Of course, I don't know any better than the blog writer....but he's right on one thing: Oprah got paid for promoting the Kindle.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
if the blog is accurate, (and as you say, they probably have no way of knowing what the arrangement is), the commission is only if someone clicks through Oprah.com to Amazon.  I went directly to Amazon and entered the code; according to the blog's theory, Oprah would get zilch from me.  (I love the word "zilch").

On the other hand, I'm not sure I care.  Someone made money off me when I bought Eleanor, does it matter who?  Jeff Bezos isn't doing badly either!  (And Oprah bought one of my aunt's brush paintings...she can't be all bad!)

Does any of this change the fact that we love our Kindles?  Let's talk books, features, downloads, accessories and all the friends we're making here in Kindleland!

Betsy

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I am very back and forth on the Oprah thing.  First, I think it's great that awareness has been spread and this will hopefully convince more publishers to turn to kindle format.  However, I can't stand that people are calling it 'Oprah's kindle' and even the thought of her making money off of it sort of retracts her endorsement.  Is she going to endorse products because she makes money off of them?  Then I go back to thinking, well, at least more people know about it now.  Sounds kind of schitzophrenic, huh?!  

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't much care about Oprah's production company contract with Amazon either. She's running a business and she should get paid for her work. The Kindle is a great product, Oprah is a popular entertainer and all is right with the world.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
If Oprah is getting a percentage, I kinda doubt it would only be if you click through her site.  I would think however you got to Amazon, putting in the "oprahwinfrey" discount code would do it.  When I make purchases on Amazon, I like to click through a beagle rescue site.  (I don't remember if I did when I bought the Kindle.  I hope so.)  But then . . . if you click through a site and put in Oprah's discount code -- who get's what?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I visit many websites that are Amazon affiliates that shamelessly ask you to make your Amazon purchases through them. Is Oprah any worse than the small guy who does this? No. In fact, although I am no fan of hers, I was happy to get over that price hump and finally get one with her discount. BTW, I didn't direct to Amazon through her website. I went straight there and used the code.

So, she gets paid by:

1) A commission on every Kindle sold with her coupon code
2) Up front payment for the endorsement
3) Directing traffic to Amazon as an affiliate

So what. I got my Kindle I've been wanting. Jeff made a sale. Oprah probably got paid as well. Why aren't we all happy?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I don't care if she got 10% or not.  What I do care about is the fact she got the Kindle recognized and purchased by more people.  The more people we have with Kindles the more books, magazines, newpapers and blogs will be made available and the happier I will be.  I bought mine to read and anything that makes more content available is a good thing, including Oprah.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I started this discussion, I wasn't badmouthing Oprah.  I, too, am happy that she got the word of Kindle out there.  I, also believe that the more Kindles the more content.  I was just surprised to see she was getting a kickback. 

·
Registered
35 Posts
OK, so if I got this right, Amazon spiffs referring sites on a pay per click basis.  If I put an Amazon link on my site for the Kindle, and people use my link to buy the kindle, I would get $35 every time someone did this.  Not a bad gig if you can get it.

thankfully, I have never been on Oprah.com.  unless they paid her based on promo codes, my purchase did not contribute to the bottom line of the uber-rich, uber-vain, uber-smart business woman Oprah Winfrey.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I'm not sure how the affiliate links work, but I would be really surprised if it was as high as 10%.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I'll even take my 10% in TRADE for books. So all that gushing and she was getting paid. HEY, Oprah...get your Kindle; and use the lookup feature to look up the word: PHONY. You are a paid INOFOMERCIAL actress; not a sincere lover of the Kindle...If you really loved it, you would have done it for free like we all do.

I guess I was right when I said we cleaned up her mess...look at all the Q & A stuff we answered after HER show.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
All I care about is that people buy Kindles. Remember the Laser Disk? If you don't, then even more to the point. Much knew technology fails if it does not find an audience, no matter how great it might be. So to me, whatever it takes! Personally, I love Oprah. But love her or hate her, if she helps to make the Kindle a success then hallelujah for us all!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I just sold my LaserDisc player, along with ~75 discs for $75.... *sigh*

1 - 20 of 43 Posts