Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the new Kindle 2. I already have a Kindle 1 but sold it today on eBay.  Do I need to deregister the Kindle I sold on eBay?  What happens when you deregister one?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
LADennis said:
I just ordered the new Kindle 2. I already have a Kindle 1 but sold it today on eBay. Do I need to deregister the Kindle I sold on eBay? What happens when you deregister one?
Yes, definitely deregister it before you send it to your buyer. You don't want it to be associated with your Amazon account or they will be able to buy books from the Kindle on your account.

When you deregister a Kindle, you no longer have access to the Amazon books you bought from that Kindle but your books always stay on Amazon. So, when you register your new Kindle, you can download all the books in your Amazon media library.

When I sold my Kindle 1, I deleted all the books from it, took off any personal information, and then deregistered it. I found out later that if I had left my Amazon books on the Kindle and then deregistered it, the new user could have read those books until they were deleted from the Kindle and then she would not be able to access them from Amazon any longer.

Hope I didn't make this sound too complicated. It's really rather simple when you do it.

Enjoy your new Kindle!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Welcome to the Boards.  Oh what an open ended question to ask here. 
The first thing you have to do is check the status of delivery incessantly.  Then stalk the UPS guy.  Once you get the box, you open it, play with it a bit, then log back onto the Boards and tell us how absolutely fabulous it is.  Then you skin it, cover it, and bag it.  And of course, you have to take pictures of it in all its new glory and post those.  Then you hack the K2 and download a ton of screensavers.  OMG, I forgot about a name.  You have to name it.  If you can't think of one, ask here.  Someone will be able to supply an appropriate name once you've determined whether its male or female.
Next, you log onto the Boards every morning, tell us the temperature of where you live and what you plan to do for the day.  Share a good recipe that will add five pounds and make us drool.  Post pictures of your kitchen appliances, and tell us all of your funny stories.  Inform us of every good book that you read, and bad book too for that matter.  Join a book klub.  Increase your post count.  And last but not least, find all the eggs before next weekend.
Hope I haven't overwhelmed you. 
Welcome, and get busy.
deb

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
/\ /\ Then next week... just enjoy the kindle and KIndle boards!

·
Registered
534 Posts
deb, you made me laugh!!  ;D

She is very right: get the Kindle, check out the Kindle, cover the Kindle, snap (as in a pic) and personalize the Kindle; KB some more since you got addicted before the first step and sometimes reading and not being able to comment, even if you are on the Kindle, is just not the same.

(Don't start with the egg hunt...)  :D

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
You notice I put the egg hunt last.  Got to get them hooked before we frustrate them.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
drenee said:
Welcome to the Boards. Oh what an open ended question to ask here.
The first thing you have to do is check the status of delivery incessantly. Then stalk the UPS guy. Once you get the box, you open it, play with it a bit, then log back onto the Boards and tell us how absolutely fabulous it is. Then you skin it, cover it, and bag it. And of course, you have to take pictures of it in all its new glory and post those. Then you hack the K2 and download a ton of screensavers. OMG, I forgot about a name. You have to name it. If you can't think of one, ask here. Someone will be able to supply an appropriate name once you've determined whether its male or female.
Next, you log onto the Boards every morning, tell us the temperature of where you live and what you plan to do for the day. Share a good recipe that will add five pounds and make us drool. Post pictures of your kitchen appliances, and tell us all of your funny stories. Inform us of every good book that you read, and bad book too for that matter. Join a book klub. Increase your post count. And last but not least, find all the eggs before next weekend.
Welcome, and get busy.
deb
drenee - well said!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hahahahaha, very funny, Deb! Good advice.

If you need help naming your Kindle, ask me. I've named a few around here and everyone seems pleased with my suggestions.

Welcome and glad to have you here.

L

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
drenee said:
The first thing you have to do is check the status of delivery incessantly. Then stalk the UPS guy. Once you get the box, you open it, play with it a bit, then log back onto the Boards and tell us how absolutely fabulous it is. Then you skin it, cover it, and bag it. And of course, you have to take pictures of it in all its new glory and post those. Then you hack the K2 and download a ton of screensavers. OMG, I forgot about a name. You have to name it. If you can't think of one, ask here. Someone will be able to supply an appropriate name once you've determined whether its male or female.
Next, you log onto the Boards every morning, tell us the temperature of where you live and what you plan to do for the day. Share a good recipe that will add five pounds and make us drool. Post pictures of your kitchen appliances, and tell us all of your funny stories. Inform us of every good book that you read, and bad book too for that matter. Join a book klub. Increase your post count. And last but not least, find all the eggs before next weekend.
Welcome, and get busy.
deb
Oh my. You all forgot to tell me that that was all required. Maybe I should rethink joining....

Um, how does one determine the gender of a new Kindle? Turn it over and look... where exactly?

·
Registered
126 Posts
DD said:
Yes, definitely deregister it before you send it to your buyer. You don't want it to be associated with your Amazon account or they will be able to buy books from the Kindle on your account.

When you deregister a Kindle, you no longer have access to the Amazon books you bought from that Kindle but your books always stay on Amazon. So, when you register your new Kindle, you can download all the books in your Amazon media library.

When I sold my Kindle 1, I deleted all the books from it, took off any personal information, and then deregistered it. I found out later that if I had left my Amazon books on the Kindle and then deregistered it, the new user could have read those books until they were deleted from the Kindle and then she would not be able to access them from Amazon any longer.

Hope I didn't make this sound too complicated. It's really rather simple when you do it.

Enjoy your new Kindle!
This is a very good advice. You registration with Amazon might have been used up by your buyer unless its included in the package deal when you sold your kindle. Then you have to register a new your kindle 2.

Anyway, You can make your Kindle 2 better. I hope you have accessorized your Kindle 1 which you can use with your new Kindle 2!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Susan in VA said:
Oh my. You all forgot to tell me that that was all required. Maybe I should rethink joining....

Um, how does one determine the gender of a new Kindle? Turn it over and look... where exactly?
Well, you look under the cover of course. Or just ask it, give it a little time and it will probably tell you. And don't worry if it's a cross dresser; there are many Kindles here at KB who are boys and like to dress in 'pretty' skins and Koats.

And don't worry about all the responsibilities of Kindle ownership, we'll gladly help you through it (especially the accessories) :)

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
You probably want to write down the books that were on your K1. While the books are no longer on it, the license for the books will still be on that Kindle. You might need to have that license removes one day. I would suggest a word document with the serial number for the Kindle you sold and the list of books that had been on it.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
drenee said:
Welcome, and get busy.
deb
<lol> I thought this was funny when I read it.... but now I've just discovered the Good Morning thread. I didn't realize you were SERIOUS!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Susan in VA said:
<lol> I thought this was funny when I read it.... but now I've just discovered the Good Morning thread. I didn't realize you were SERIOUS!! :eek:
One of the more popular threads around here, actually. It's sort of like coffee and donuts at the Kindlestop Kafe.

L

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Susan in VA said:
Of course I'm serious. Good Morning is the first thread I log onto every morning, and check every single time there is a new post. I love this thread. Hope you have time to join us there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Susan in VA said:

Don't let the peer pressure get to you!! I have a K1 and a K2...I haven't bought a skin, or paid over $50 for a cover, I'm still using the Amazon cover for my K2, and they still let me post on the board! LOL! ;)

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Kindle Convert said:
Don't let the peer pressure get to you!! I have a K1 and a K2...I haven't bought a skin, or paid over $50 for a cover, I'm still using the Amazon cover for my K2, and they still let me post on the board! LOL! ;o)
That nekkid, shivering Kindle... :D :D

Did you hear about the nekkid kindle I saw on the plane the other day? No skin, no cover. I wanted to chide the owner for taking his kindle out in public like that. Does he have no shame? ;D

L

·
Registered
234 Posts
I did hear about the nekkid Kindle, but mine are covered and always have been!  I even got rid of that pesky Amazon label on my K2 cover (used my P-touch and created a "metal" label with my name.  Now it looks like an semi-expensive day planner! LOL!  I was in the Mortgage Business (back room...not a big-bad broker) so recently found my self unemployed and have to watch all my pennies these days.  Believe me...I'd be in there buying with the rest of you, but the future, as of now, is uncertain, so I spend my $$$ on books instead.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts