Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, tomorrow's the day, and I'm so excited to be getting my Kindle!!

I've already ordered Leslie's FAQ book, and then I started looking for My First Kindle Book (I'm seeing the FAQ as a required manual, so it doesn't count!), and had a hard time deciding.  I wanted it to be something special...  something I already knew I would enjoy....  perhaps a Kindle version of a much-read and worn DTB...  and it turned out that the three or four at the top of my list aren't available :(

So then I tried a different approach, and looked for classics that I'd been meaning to re-read.  Found lots of those, ordered ten.  (Had to set a limit somewhere...)

But one thing completely puzzles me.

For many books, there are multiple different Kindle versions available.  For foreign-language books this is sometimes due to the existence of different translations.  Or sometimes books have been revised or annotated.  But often it seems that there can't possibly be any difference, and yet there are several versions listed, with different prices and different Kindle-publication dates.  Kind of like when Amazon offers the same DTB book in hardback, paperback, quality paperback, large-print, etc. editions....  but how can there be any differences in Kindle editions?

To further confuse me, a couple of times two versions, priced differently, linked to the same posted review, which included things like comments on the formatting.  So if the formatting is also the same, why are there multiple versions?  In one case a book's price varied from free to about $ 6, but I couldn't tell what the differences were....  surely there's something to explain the price difference?

I realize that I could download samples of five different versions and look at each to see whether there's a difference that might justify paying a little bit more.  But that seems like a complicated and quite time-consuming way to find out each time.  Does anybody know what's behind the multiple versions of books?  I have the nagging feeling that just clicking on the cheapest one may not be the best thing to do until I find out more about this.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Susan, hope your Kindle arrived & you're now enjoying it!

I'm guessing most of the books you're finding multiple versions of are books that are in the public domain.  Once they're out of copyright, anyone, even you, can put together a Kindle version and sell it online.  I've noticed that even with current books, sometimes when you check the description of a book they'll have a review of the audio book - not sure whether someone said "Hey, digital is digital" or what - but that might explain the description similarities between sellers. 

I usually look for my public domain outside of Amazon - feedbooks and mobileread are my first choices, especially since they have the guides that you can download directly to the Kindle & shop & load via Whispernet.  Plus if I try something new & decide I don't like it & don't want to keep it, it's in my content manager forever if I get it from Amazon.  That's a minor point for you now, but when your content manager is 25 pages long, it's nice to be able to prune it a bit.  ;)  Having said that, shopping for public domain on Amazon, I'd go with their versions first (that came from mobipocket) - no reason to pay for something you can get free (unless there's footnotes, etc that are important to you - don't know if & how well those work on mobipocket editions). 

Also - this is where sampling can come in very handy!

·
Registered
446 Posts
I would also suggest feedbooks for classics. They are formatted really well (I have not heard good things about all of the ones that are on Amazon), and you they have a guide you can download to your kindle that is searchable and can be used to download classics from them anywhere. Plus they are all free!

http://feedbooks.com/help/kindle

Have fun with your Kindle!! I have had mine a week now and I can already tell that I couldn't live without it!!

Cheers!
Rachel

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Susan in VA said:
Well, tomorrow's the day, and I'm so excited to be getting my Kindle!!

I've already ordered Leslie's FAQ book, and then I started looking for My First Kindle Book (I'm seeing the FAQ as a required manual, so it doesn't count!), and had a hard time deciding. I wanted it to be something special... something I already knew I would enjoy.... perhaps a Kindle version of a much-read and worn DTB... and it turned out that the three or four at the top of my list aren't available :(

So then I tried a different approach, and looked for classics that I'd been meaning to re-read. Found lots of those, ordered ten. (Had to set a limit somewhere...)

But one thing completely puzzles me.

For many books, there are multiple different Kindle versions available. For foreign-language books this is sometimes due to the existence of different translations. Or sometimes books have been revised or annotated. But often it seems that there can't possibly be any difference, and yet there are several versions listed, with different prices and different Kindle-publication dates. Kind of like when Amazon offers the same DTB book in hardback, paperback, quality paperback, large-print, etc. editions.... but how can there be any differences in Kindle editions?

To further confuse me, a couple of times two versions, priced differently, linked to the same posted review, which included things like comments on the formatting. So if the formatting is also the same, why are there multiple versions? In one case a book's price varied from free to about $ 6, but I couldn't tell what the differences were.... surely there's something to explain the price difference?

I realize that I could download samples of five different versions and look at each to see whether there's a difference that might justify paying a little bit more. But that seems like a complicated and quite time-consuming way to find out each time. Does anybody know what's behind the multiple versions of books? I have the nagging feeling that just clicking on the cheapest one may not be the best thing to do until I find out more about this.
Susan, today's the day for me too! My replacement K2 (sun fading and light text issues) is on that beautiful brown truck and out for delivery. (I've been tracking it every 5 minutes!). I can't wait to check it out. I hope I can keep this one because I really miss reading on my K2.

Good luck and enjoy your new arrival.

P.S. Sorry I don't have an answer to the question in your OP. I just wanted to share your excitement.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Meemo said:
Susan, hope your Kindle arrived & you're now enjoying it!

anyone, even you, can put together a Kindle version and sell it online.

it's in my content manager forever if I get it from Amazon. That's a minor point for you now, but when your content manager is 25 pages long, it's nice to be able to prune it a bit. ;)
Thank you for taking the time to explain! K2 is arriving today, and unfortunately I'll be out of the house when she (I suspect :D) arrives. But I'm sure I'll be up late(r) tonight....

I didn't realize anyone can put together a Kindle version.... that explains all those really obscure titles!! ???

Content manager.... ahh, this is why everybody complains about not having folders? Yikes, the idea of having every title in one long unpruneable list is kind of messy. Maybe they'll eventually update that somehow. Meanwhile, thanks for the warning, I'll try not to clutter it up too much.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DD said:
Susan, today's the day for me too! My replacement K2 (sun fading and light text issues) is on that beautiful brown truck and out for delivery. (I've been tracking it every 5 minutes!). I can't wait to check it out. I hope I can keep this one because I really miss reading on my K2.

Good luck and enjoy your new arrival.

P.S. Sorry I don't have an answer to the question in your OP. I just wanted to share your excitement.
Mine's arriving by USPS, so I can't update the tracking! <pout>
We should have a joint Kindlewarming party tonight ;D

Thanks to Rachel and Betsy too!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Susan in VA said:
Mine's arriving by USPS, so I can't update the tracking! <pout>
We should have a joint Kindlewarming party tonight ;D

Thanks to Rachel and Betsy too!
Believe me, if mine works this time, I'll bring the Margheritas to the party!!!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Congrats Susan and DD! Enjoy! And welcome to your new Kindles!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Susan in VA said:
Content manager.... ahh, this is why everybody complains about not having folders? Yikes, the idea of having every title in one long unpruneable list is kind of messy. Maybe they'll eventually update that somehow. Meanwhile, thanks for the warning, I'll try not to clutter it up too much.
Not sure how the content manager is on the K2 but the good news (on the K1 for sure and probably K2) is that at least in the content manager do have a few options as to what you show - you can choose to show Amazon items only (that's the books you've bought on your account from Amazon that aren't currently loaded on your Kindle), Kindle memory only (all the items currently on your Kindle, no matter the origin), or SD card items only.

The only items you can't permanently delete from content manager are the ones you buy from Amazon. You can only get those removed if you return a purchase (usually something you bought by mistake or that has serious formatting issues). And much of the public domain stuff on Amazon is from mobipocket (which Amazon owns) - it's great if it's a classic that you think you'll read again and again, but if you aren't sure, you can get it from the mobipocket website & not have it in your content manager forever.

Folders would be really nice, though.....

(And I might be confusing the issue with the content manager stuff since I have a K1, I know people talk about "archive" with the K2 and things may work a tad differently - if so someone will correct me!)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Susan in VA said:
I didn't realize anyone can put together a Kindle version.... that explains all those really obscure titles!! ???
Anyone can publish public domain works as a DTB, too, but the cost of entry is of course much higher than for Kindle books. If you go to B&N, you'll see tons of different versions of them, too.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MAGreen said:
Congrats Susan and DD! Enjoy! And welcome to your new Kindles!
Thank you! DD's is a replacement for her first one, I understand, but mine is a completely new experience -- first time I ever saw one, and... it's just.... s o c o o l !!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DD said:
Believe me, if mine works this time, I'll bring the Margheritas to the party!!!
So does it?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Congratulations Susan, I think you'll be very happy with your new purchase. Now you just have to manage to avoid all the accessories.  ;D

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
L.Canton said:
Congratulations Susan, I think you'll be very happy with your new purchase. Now you just have to manage to avoid all the accessories. ;D
:D Too late!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Susan in VA said:
So does it?
Wasn't delivered until 6 PM yesterday. It looks good inside. Text looks pretty good. I couldn't test it in the sun yet. Today will be very sunny. I have high hopes. I'll let you know!

Are you addicted yet? It's easy to fall in love with Kindle!

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DD said:
Wasn't delivered until 6 PM yesterday. It looks good inside. Text looks pretty good. I couldn't test it in the sun yet. Today will be very sunny. I have high hopes. I'll let you know!

Are you addicted yet? It's easy to fall in love with Kindle!
After several days of rain, it will be sunny here too today, so I'll be doing the dreaded sun test as well.

Addicted? ;D Who, me?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts