Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a computer geek and have always been fond of O'Reilly's computer books. I am testing Windows Vista at work and just purchased their Missing Manual book for Vista from Amazon. When I went online www.oreilly.comto register my book today I noticed that they mentioned the Ebook version.
The Ebook itself was around $27. The paper book I purchased was $34 and the combo was $45. I didn't want to spend another $27 for the Ebook, so I called Customer Service and was able to purchase just the electronic format for $10.50. I have an online account with O'Reilly and the files are available there for me to download.
Their Ebook included the PDF, Mobipocket and something called ePub. I put the mobi file on my Kindle and it's actually pretty good. I wasn't expecting much in the way of graphics, but the screen captures are fairly clear and easy to read.
So if I want an O'Reilly title in the future, I will check their site first to see if I can just get the Ebook. Then I can use the PDF on my computer and the Mobi on my Kindle.
(By the way, Amazon did NOT list a Kindle version of the book.)
Andra

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Interesting information. Thanks, Andra!

I have read several books recently that I bought from other sites. They are ebooks but not for sale at Amazon as Kindle versions. Even so, the ones I have bought work just fine on my Kindle.

L

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I haven't tried any Missing Manuals, Marci. I like tech books that are humorous, though :) I love the Head First series from O'Reilly. They are also fun and make things stick in your brain much better than a dry manual. I have to wonder about some of the newer titles they are putting out, though. Head First PMP? Although it does have 4.5 stars now.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really don't think I'm ready to totally switch all my technical stuff to my Kindle.  I like to grab a highlighter and those sticky tabs when I am reading - it helps things stick better.
But if I can get a PDF and print it myself, having the Kindle version is like a bonus.
Andra

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.