Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had my Kindle for several days and I think I have everything I need for it. :)
The one thing I really need is a way to organize it. I have several books and several add-in and looking at the screen it looks messy.
Is there any way to organize the screen so all of the books together and the add-ins together?
This has probably been asked before and if so I am terribly sorry.
Thanks
Bonnie

·
Registered
921 Posts
This has been an ongoing issue for everyone.  There is not a folder system available.  Some have use the "achieve" as a way to organize the books, but I'm not sure how well that works.  Mine is becoming a mess itself.  I have way too many samples on it.  I don't want to delete them all because I have them on there as a reminder of what books I'd like to read.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Until the day Amazon rolls out a firmware update that includes the ability to use folders or tags, we're all stuck with the mess, I'm afraid.

I use an application called Calibre on my computer to organise my eBook library, and then just transfer the books I want to read on my Kindle. So, generally, I'll only have a few pages worth of books listed on my Kindle screen. Kind of defeats the purpose of having so much memory to store books, but hey, it keeps me sane.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid nothing was the answer. I will try "Calibre"  and see if it will help.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Bonnie

·
Registered
599 Posts
kevin63 said:
Mine is becoming a mess itself. I have way too many samples on it. I don't want to delete them all because I have them on there as a reminder of what books I'd like to read.
I had the same issue. May I suggest putting the books you want to read on your Save For Later list and deleting the samples? It de-clutters the home page but you can still keep track of the books you want to read.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
K1: I have sort of solved the problem by using different SD cards.
I have all the classics on one card.
All the books I have already read (but don't want to have to re-download via Amazon) on another.
Keep all unread and samples on Kindle.

Once I have about ten I've read; I transfer to the Already Read SD card. Eliminates transferring every day.
IF K1: Important to shut K off completely (not just sleep) before removing SD card!!!

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
There is at least one thread, in Tips & Tricks I think, about using the notes function to assign tags to books.  Works best if you start with just a small number of items on your kindle and add as you go.  You put a note on each title page with words like fiction or nonfiction or bio or whatever. . . . it was suggested each 'tag' word be preceded by a q (qfict, qnonfict, etc.)so that the tag words are fairly unique.  So then when you want to find a book you just have to think of what 'tags' you'd put on it and search.  I have a K1 that was very full when this idea was floated, so never tried it, but intend to implement it in some form on my DX when I get it. 

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
If you can come up with folders or a good organization method please share with the rest of us!!  ;)

I would seriously upgrade to a k3 tomorrow if it included folders. It's so annoying that the Kindle doesn't have a way to organize  better.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
You should be able to change the sort order to sort by title. . . .if so, it comes up alphabetically.  You can sort by author too, but that can be more problematic if the author data isn't consistent, i.e. is it Jane Austen or Austen, Jane.

On the K1 there's a 'show and sort' option on the home page. . . . .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts