Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not on the kindle but what does everyone use to keep all their books in order?    Or just so you remember which books you have and you like?    I have over 4 thousand and am struggling trying to keep a list of what I have what I want to keep what I didn't like.    Actually I am keeping a list for 3 of us.    YIKES.    Calibre works so far but is there something better?

Thanks for any answers. 

·
Super Moderator
67,457 Posts
I don't bother.

When I've read a book I make sure to give it a rating. That way when I go to Amazon I can see if I've read it before and how well I liked it. But I mainly use that for purposes of recommending to others and knowing that I have read a book. I rarely re-read and I keep those I might do so on the Kindle anyway. Everything else is deleted when I read it.

My brother shares my account but it's up to him to remember what he's read. :D

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
I have embraced my inner OCD and am going through my books in alphabetical order.  I'm done with the A's and now I'm in the B's.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I kind of use Goodreads the way Ann uses Amazon.  I like Goodreads shelves, once you figure them out  :eek: they have a lot more flexibility than Amazon.  But much of the time I don't remember to do that, and have to go play catch up.  I do delete books from the Kindle once I've read them.

I usually browse from the back of my Manage Your Kindle list to the front, looking for something to catch my eye.  Or I read something I just picked up. 

Sometimes, when I'm browsing on the Kindle, trying to decide what to read, I'll change the sort order to by author or by title instead of by recent, just to mix up the books that I see.

Betsy

·
Registered
20,435 Posts
Rie142 said:
What do you use? A word document? A program or just Amazon.
I cleaned everything off my kindle and just downloaded all the As that didn't sound familiar. Once they were loaded, if I saw that there is some progess showing in the dots underneath, I opened them up, then if I finished them, I just deleted them off the kindle again. As books are read, they are moved off the kindle. Then I did the same thing with the Bs.

Any new books get downloaded onto the PW. If they are before the letter I'm reading now, I'll read them at the end of the letter. If not, they just go to the cloud.

HOWEVER, this is just what I'm doing on the PW. My DX has a few books that I re-read at times, and The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich that I am reading a bit of everyday to get through it before I get to Berlin Diary.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I don't have that many books but I use Goodreads - my star ratings and reviews remind me of what I liked and didn't like and the shelves help me organize and sort them. You can export it to a spreadsheet and I think you can import a spreadsheet too. It also gives me stats.

Though it doesn't have as many features, for the sheer ease of import, you can import your Kindle library from Amazon straight into Shelfari.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I must say that  I've never understood why people download thousands of books that they will never have the time to read, but each to their own. I generally have between 10 and 40 books in a collection called "To Be Read". These are my unread books. If there are other books that I might want in the future I use the wish list button that I added to my browser to put them into one of several wish lists on Amazon. The button allows anything to to put in a wish list, even if its from another web site. I have over 1000 book in my archive, about 60% from Amazon and 40% from other sites which I either sent directly to my Kindle (and thus it automatically gets archived), or emailed to my Kindle with the same result. Of that 1000+ books, there are only about 35 that I have not read. I probably have another 300 books in my wish lists, which I go through from time to time to buy something. It's much less confusing this way. It's much easier to have a lot of books in my wish list, than loading them on my Kindle. If one is paranoid about Amazon going under, keep a copy of every book on your computer. I used to do that but I don't bother with it anymore. Anything I want to look up I just search on "manage my kindle" using either the author or title as the search term. If you want to classify by genre, I guess you could put 1 star for mysteries, 2 stars for sci fi, etc. I also keep an excell spreadsheet with every book that I have read (sorted by author), and a rating of between 1 and 10 as to how much I liked it. Thus if it is a series that I read 3 years ago and a new volume comes out, I can easily see how much I liked it to see if I want to buy the newest addition. I read so many books I don't always remember how good or bad the series was from several years earlier.

It's a simple system, but it gets the job done fo me.

Steve

·
Registered
267 Posts
stevene9 said:
I must say that I've never understood why people download thousands of books that they will never have the time to read, but each to their own.

Steve
I don't totally understand it myself, but I do it every time I buy a new Kindle. :) I trust Amazon more than any other company I've ever dealt with, but I have a lot of money invested in my books and I just can't help thinking that they're safer with me than somewhere else where I have absolutely no control over what could happen someday. Even with a lot of books it doesn't take all that long to download them and then you're safe from any issues that could occur on their end, such as server issues or whatever. I think it's a lot more convenient to have only a few books on my Kindle at a time, but I always download them anyway. Maybe I just read too many doomsday and disaster books. ;D

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
stevene9 said:
I must say that I've never understood why people download thousands of books that they will never have the time to read, but each to their own.
Speaking for myself, you'll notice I didn't say I had 6,000 books in my Calibre database, I said 6,000 entries. A large number of those are individual short stories, novellas, instruction manuals, musician's biographies from the net, sheet music, and various other things I wish to read on my Kindle or Android devices. :)

Mike

·
Registered
913 Posts
I use Calibre exclusively to keep my entire e-book collection organized.  With Calibre, I am able to track the books I have read, create Collections and import to my Kindle and download metadata from Goodreads, Amazon, etc to populate the information about the book including the series number of a book (if the book is part of a series).

The only books on my Kindle are those that are unread.  Once done, I delete and mark book as read in Calibre.  No matter where I purchase content from: BoB, Amazon, Kobo, etc - I import the book into Calibre ensuring that all of my content is somewhere I can get to, I never want to be at the mercy of any company for content that I have purchased.  Fictionwise shutting down recently is a perfect example of this.  There are lots of people who for whatever reason were not successful in getting all of the content ported over to B&N per Fictionwise's instructions.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
chilady1 said:
I use Calibre exclusively to keep my entire e-book collection organized. With Calibre, I am able to track the books I have read, create Collections and import to my Kindle and download metadata from Goodreads, Amazon, etc to populate the information about the book including the series number of a book (if the book is part of a series).
Which Kindle do you have, Chilady? At one point, it seems to me I read that the Collections plug-in didn't work for all Kindles because later Kindles used a different method. Is that still true?

Betsy

·
Registered
913 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Which Kindle do you have, Chilady? At one point, it seems to me I read that the Collections plug-in didn't work for all Kindles because later Kindles used a different method. Is that still true?

Betsy
Betsy - true. The Kindle Collections plug-in for Calibre works on the KDX, K2, K3, K4 (non-touch). I also believe there is a way to use the Kindle Collections for the KPW but not 100% sure on that one. I personally have the Kindle Keyboard and Kindle Collections works flawlessly. For some reason, this plug-in doesn't work on the Kindle Touch because Amazon changed the way Collections are managed on the Touch.

My home page look like this:

Series Name - Author (# of books)

Borderline - Griffin, Laura (2) - when I open up the Collection I see the following:

01 - One Last Breath
02 - One Wrong Step

The Kindle Collections Plug-on does all this for me. It has been a real time saver. I also use another plug-in called ePub Split which allows me to split out ePubs from one book. For example, Jennifer Blake's Royal Family of Ruthenia was available for free on Amazon as a boxed set. The ePub Split plug-in allowed me to separate the books out into 2 individual books. Not a big deal, but love the plug-in.

Lastly, I created custom columns in Calibre that once I indicate that I have read the book by indicating YES, it turns the title of the book to the color of RED which allows me at a quick glance to know which books are still un-read.

I agree that Calibre takes some getting use to but with patience and some help from folks on the boards, I finally have Calibre the way I want it and for me it has been a great program.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Use the ratings also. One star tells me I've read the book once; two stars, twice, etc. Don't know what I'm going to do when I run out of stars.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts