Kindle Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
179 Posts
I clean out libraries in a wave of fury.  If I haven't read or even looked at a book in over a year (unless it's a classic) then it's on its way to the book store.  Have to be cut throat or your books will control you...fight back!!

· Registered
4,862 Posts
I use an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my books -- originally started in the ol' paperback days when I'd accidentally buy books more than once because I'd forget I'd bought/read them already. :D  Now, I keep track of what format I have it in (esp. for those not yet Kindleized), when/if read, title, author, category, series, notes, date bought, and price. I don't bother rating them, but if it's something I didn't finish or don't want to read again (I'm a big re-reader, esp. of series), then I use color codes in different fields.

I generally sort by category, then author, then series, but the beauty of Excel is I can sort and search any way I want as well as include any info I want. Every so often, I upload an updated copy to Dropbox so it's available to me other places.

· Registered
1,528 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I rarely re-read and I keep those I might do so on the Kindle anyway. Everything else is deleted when I read it.
Deleted completely from your Kindle account or just removed from the Kindle itself?

I sure wish our Collections would be available via the Amazon website. Then I could move my read books into the Finished collection, etc., and be able to see my collections from anywhere, even without my Kindle.

· Super Moderator
74,501 Posts
KimberlyinMN said:
Deleted completely from your Kindle account or just removed from the Kindle itself?

I sure wish our Collections would be available via the Amazon website. Then I could move my read books into the Finished collection, etc., and be able to see my collections from anywhere, even without my Kindle.
Removed from the kindle. I don't take it off the account unless it's really bad and was really cheap. Or free.

You can put the Kindle for PC app on your computer and import collections there. Then at least you'll always be able to get them back when you get new devices.

· Registered
1,528 Posts
I do have my collections in the Kindle for PC app... but my collections are all messed up and when I import them to a Kindle, I get two or three of the same collection, so then I have to figure which is the right collection and remove the others. PITA I don't have a way of completely removing a Collection from the Kindle Cloud memory...

· Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
chilady1 said:
Lastly, I created custom columns in Calibre that once I indicate that I have read the book by indicating YES, it turns the title of the book to the color of RED which allows me at a quick glance to know which books are still un-read.
I love Calibre also. That is what I am using. Getting better at using it. However how did you do this? I have custom columns, would love to have it change the color of the title to red when I mark it keeper or read.

· Registered
57 Posts
Rie142 said:
I love Calibre also. That is what I am using. Getting better at using it. However how did you do this? I have custom columns, would love to have it change the color of the title to red when I mark it keeper or read.
Open Calibre>>click Preferences>>Look and Feel>>Column Colouring>>Add Rule

For example, one of my rules is "Set the color of all columns to turquoise if the read column is yes.

Everything I've bolded can be customized.

· Registered
981 Posts
Mandykins said:

For example, one of my rules is "Set the color of all columns to turquoise if the read column is yes.
You beat me to it Mandykins - and let me change my original statement because like you, instead of just the TITLE tuning the color RED - I know also have ALL COLUMNS turning RED which is even better. It it nice because it gives you a visual way to see what has been READ vs. what is still un-read.

· Registered
57 Posts
chilady1 said:
You beat me to it Mandykins - and let me change my original statement because like you, instead of just the TITLE tuning the color RED - I know also have ALL COLUMNS turning RED which is even better. It it nice because it gives you a visual way to see what has been READ vs. what is still un-read.
It was actually thanks to your post that made me go "cool! I want to do that!" I opened Calibre seconds after reading your post last week and figured out how to do it, so thanks! ;D

· Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Mandykins said:

Everything I've bolded can be customized.
Thank you. I am finally back online and can go mess with Calibre.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.