Kindle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...does anyone out there know the origin of the name "Kindle"? Is there a story behind why the developers named it that? Wikipedia tells everything about its development EXCEPT that, LOL. The best I could come up with is that the developer/s thought the technology would "kindle" a revolution regarding access to the written word. A stretch, I'm sure  ;)

·
Registered
126 Posts
According to Jeff B, it's origin was with the meaning of the word 'kindle' itself.  To Kindle the imagination, to Kindle the love of reading, to Kindle the sales of electronic books so Jeff B can buy a bigger jet with a bigger hot-tub, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Here ya go:

From Amazon.com forum Customer Service post 3/5/2009:

Why "Kindle?"
The definition of the word kindle is "to set fire to or to ignite." We chose this name because we believe Kindle is igniting a revolution in book reading by bringing a new way of reading to both existing and new fans of literature. We believe that in time, physical libraries will be a thing of the past, as more and more readers embrace the ability to instantly access their books on Kindle with the touch of a button.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Customer-Service/forum/Fx2EGRL42MHF15D/Tx1XWROEYYNYZUA/14/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?%5Fencoding=UTF8&cdMsgNo=329&asin=B00154JDAI&store=fiona-hardware&cdSort=oldest&cdMsgID=MxTIGRNCFW3S56#MxTIGRNCFW3S56

Welcome to the KindleBoards! You should stop in the Introduction & Welcome board so we can get to know you better!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Here ya go:

Why "Kindle?"
The definition of the word kindle is "to set fire to or to ignite." We chose this name because we believe Kindle is igniting a revolution in book reading by bringing a new way of reading to both existing and new fans of literature. We believe that in time, physical libraries will be a thing of the past, as more and more readers embrace the ability to instantly access their books on Kindle with the touch of a button.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-com-Customer-Service/forum/Fx2EGRL42MHF15D/Tx1XWROEYYNYZUA/14/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?%5Fencoding=UTF8&cdMsgNo=329&asin=B00154JDAI&store=fiona-hardware&cdSort=oldest&cdMsgID=MxTIGRNCFW3S56#MxTIGRNCFW3S56

Welcome to the KindleBoards! You should stop in the Introduction & Welcome board so we can get to know you better!
Thanks for the link. As I started reading the thread, I was going to suggest looking it up on Wikipedia but then you said that's the only info it doesn't have. lol :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
V said:
to Kindle the sales of electronic books so Jeff B can buy a bigger jet with a bigger hot-tub, that sort of thing.
LOL!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Thanks luv - interesting

and thanks devoniuk for asking the question

and welcome to the board, be sure and go to the Welcome/Intro thread and tell us about you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Here ya go:

Why "Kindle?"

Hmmm interesting....

·
Registered
460 Posts
I was thinking something along the lines the imagination, and apparently I wasn't far off the mark. It makes quite a bit of sense really, and from a marketing standpoint the name Kindle is rather catchy.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sweety18 said:
"To set fire to", to set fire to books? :)
I've definitely read a couple of articles about the Kindle that point out the irony of that aspect of the definition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts