Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious about other writing forums people using this forum go to. Years ago, i was surprised when a moderator on the Absolutewrite forum stated that advertising your book was a waste of money. (I stopped logging into it after that.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
It depends on what you're looking for. Absolutewrite is a great forum when it comes to discussion of craft. You will learn a LOT by asking questions and reading there. When it comes to marketing, kboards is one of the best places.

Even though I hate the interface, I think nowadays the best forums are on facebook. 20Books250k is the most popular one but there are lots of others. If you're lucky enough to get into a private forum with a small group of smart people in your niche, that's pretty much your best bet. I'm a member of six or seven different facebook groups.

edit: Be careful with certain forums like the one mentioned in the post below mine. Its built up a negative reputation, and after viewing it, I can understand why.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I only come here, and lurk once or twice a month on a couple Reddit indie writers' forums. There is a lot of info that can be gleaned from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
https://www.writingforums.org is one that I use regularly. The people in the community are, for the most part, warm, welcoming, and friendly.

The only downside to the place is that a couple of the moderators are a bit... shall we say... trigger happy and power hungry. ;D

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Mare said:
This link directed me to a travel site. :)
It works for me.

If you want a laugh, and possibly to feel good, you could always try the kdp forum itself. You get some very strange people on there, the ones who think their 35 page pamphlet is better than anything Stephen King has written; the ones who are quite sure they've sold millions and Amazon isn't reporting them; the ones who really stick in my mind are the bloke who believed he was being abducted by aliens and they were dictating his book to him (he was good) and the one who believed the government were censoring everything he posted.

Oh, and let's not forget the one who insisted that Amazon were removing his fake five star reviews because he was so good, he was threat to traditional publishers. That was a good one. Then there was the one who joined and straight away thought she was in charge.

As I said, good for a laugh.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Doglover said:
It works for me.

If you want a laugh, and possibly to feel good, you could always try the kdp forum itself. You get some very strange people on there, the ones who think their 35 page pamphlet is better than anything Stephen King has written; the ones who are quite sure they've sold millions and Amazon isn't reporting them; the ones who really stick in my mind are the bloke who believed he was being abducted by aliens and they were dictating his book to him (he was good) and the one who believed the government were censoring everything he posted.

Oh, and let's not forget the one who insisted that Amazon were removing his fake five star reviews because he was so good, he was threat to traditional publishers. That was a good one. Then there was the one who joined and straight away thought she was in charge.

As I said, good for a laugh.
;D

·
Registered
787 Posts
Doglover said:
Then there was the one who joined and straight away thought she was in charge.
Is that the one that had something about KDP Support in the username and often posted completely incorrect information that they didn't bother to verify in the Help pages?

I'm on the KDP Community all the time. :)

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
Sleeping Cat Books said:
Is that the one that had something about KDP Support in the username and often posted completely incorrect information that they didn't bother to verify in the Help pages?

I'm on the KDP Community all the time. :)
No, this was a while ago. I can pm you her name, but the surname was a bird. She had a habit of saying she would have to report people, like she was some authority, and she used to read the last post in a thread then answer it with the wrong information. For instance, a cover designer was having trouble with her licence for the images and she pipes up at the end of the thread telling him not to make his own but get a designer! She did that sort of thing a lot. And she had a real problem with me, because I told her off a few times.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Following this thread! I self-published my first book back in 2013, but only recently have I started to get more serious about marketing and figuring out how to reach my readership. I think I was hoping for more word-of-mouth readers, but I'm not so sure that's how the market works anymore. I appreciate the tips here!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I quite like Selfpublish on Reddit. Not too noisy and has several knowledgeable people.

·
Super Moderator
10,096 Posts
Folks, a reminder that we don't badmouth other groups and forums here. Positive recommendations for other places are fine.

ETA: Some posts have been edited, others removed.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Vidya said:
this forum was created a couple of years ago:

https://writersanctum.com/index.php

a lot of people from kboards migrated to there.
Was this the one made because some of the terms or conditions here changed, or something, and people were worried about their intellectual property? Which is why you sometimes come across an old thread here with posts that have been edited to say "I do not consent" etc?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Shane, yes, writer sanctum was set up because some of the terms and conditions here changed, and people were worried about their intellectual property.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ShaneCarrow said:
Was this the one made because some of the terms or conditions here changed, or something, and people were worried about their intellectual property? Which is why you sometimes come across an old thread here with posts that have been edited to say "I do not consent" etc?
Yes. The board was sold to a company and the new Terms of Service were something that some members here didn't agree with and/or were worried about. Many of them redacted/edited their posts because of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts