Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many types of content - like Kindle books, many other e-books, purchased music, movies - have DRM (digital rights management) embedded in it.

Your forum mod's have agreed to update our forum guidelines (defined in the Forum Decorum board) regarding discussions about DRM. Here it is, FYI.

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns. Thanks!

- Harvey

- DRM (Digital Rights Management): We do not allow threads or posts that encourage ways to hack, crack, or otherwise get around DRM protections. The term 'DRM' refers to access control technologies used by publishers and copyright holders to limit usage of digital content. Kindle books, e-books in general, purchased music, and other published digital content typically contain DRM controls. It is acceptable to post about DRM in general, e.g. to discuss DRM-related issues and benefits.

G

·
As a published and semi-professional writer who is currently having his work displayed for profit (to someone ELSE) without my consent, without crediting me and against my will, I firmly uphold Harvey's pro-DRM stand and am grateful for it.

G

·
ScottBooks said:
Jim, you didn't write Watchmen did you?
HA!

No, I used to write reviews and articles for an adventure game site. I didn't get paid for my reviews, but did for my articles. The owner of the site and I had a falling out after I gave back-to-back negative reviews of games published by his largest advertiser (who was also paying him to write strategy guides for them).

The site-owner removed all my reviews from the site, but still displays some of my articles, now without my name. They are now credited as "Edited by _________" This is actually in violation of ________'s own publicly stated copyright policy. And have no doubt--despite the fact that the site uses a fair amount of bandwidth, it makes a profit.

If I gave a damn about the money, I'd sue. Instead, I just patrol the Internets (all of them) as a real-life example of how piracy and hacking hurt the creators of the media you lie/cheat/steal to get.

G

·
Since I am not personally involved with happend to BJ but I am an avid gamer, I will hazard to fill in the blanks.  I don't expect you to confirm or deny my guesses.  :)

I guess Gamespot as the site and either Electronic Arts or possibly Microsoft as the product publisher.

I am all for anti-pirating policies.  Stealing is stealing no matter what form it takes. 

G

·
I gave it a shot base on what I've seen in the past. 

I finally have gotten out of my SPORE addiction.  It was replaced by Fallout 3(Oblivion with guns?)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Teninx said:
Computer games, hah. I'm still trying to figure out the 'consumation' of Leisure Suit Larry.
;D That was my first computer game. I eventually got five of them, and "consumated" Larry's quest at the Spa. Unfortunately, they were all for DOS, and I can't use them on Windows. But they were a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Nostalgic here,  I remember DOS.  I saw my first computer at the age of 60.  Bought one soon after so I could learn. Think it had 8 MB hard drive.  First Class all the way.

G

·
My first computer was an Atari 800.  Later on I bought a PC that had an 8086 processor, 1KB of ram and a 20 MB HD with a 5.25in floppy drive.  Whoo hoo, stylin'!

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
My first computer was a MITS Z-80 kit that I used to test a new language called BASIC that this kid named Bill was writing on a teletype every night. I progressed to a Timex, Commodore-64, TRS-80 and… You don’t really want to hear this do you?

So back on topic: Harvey, it looks like everybody agrees with you.  :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts