Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UPDATE: The podcast is live!

It's alive!!!!!!

Hi everyone, we're doing an interview with Kristine Rusch tonight for our podcast, and I'm wondering if you have any questions for her or suggestions for topics we could talk about? For those who don't know her, she's had a lot of great info on her blog in recent months about the changes taking place in publishing.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Agree that Kris is awesome.

Ask her what she advises unagented authors about getting an agent. I don't need to hear her answer, because she taught a workshop I was at recently, but her reply to this question is enlightening to say the least.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Terrence OBrien said:
I've never heard a podcast. Where do i find it?
Thanks for asking. AdventuresInSciFiPublishing is the podcast. The interview with Rusch will be posted sometime within the next week. There's some good stuff in the interview about agents, foreign rights, and the controversy over publishers not reporting royalties correctly.

Btw, Patty, she mentioned that you're a Writers of the Future Winner. Congrats!

You can find all of the interviews I've conducted here, most of them from our podcast.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
MosesSiregarIII said:
Thanks for asking. AdventuresInSciFiPublishing is the podcast. The interview with Rusch will be posted sometime within the next week. There's some good stuff in the interview about agents, foreign rights, and the controversy over publishers not reporting royalties correctly.

Btw, Patty, she mentioned that you're a Writers of the Future Winner. Congrats!

You can find all of the interviews I've conducted here, most of them being from our podcast.
Be sure to post a link when it's up. I'm very interested to hear it. :D

Vicki

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Victorine said:
Be sure to post a link when it's up. I'm very interested to hear it. :D

Vicki
Sure thing. The first segment was maybe 25-30 minutes, but it's well worth listening to for anyone looking for advice about agents and about selling foreign rights.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Terrence OBrien said:
I've never heard a podcast. Where do i find it?
Let me hijack Moses' thread for a moment.

If you're not clued into podcasts, you're missing an extremely powerful tool and an important market for your work. I've beaten on this drum in the past (and probably will again), but a podcast is a serialized audio program that's delivered via RSS to your computer. Move the files to an mp3 player like your smartphone, ipod, kindle, or what-have-you. Instant information/entertainment for when your eyes are busy but your brain needs stimulation. Think commuting or working out.

Got that image? Now consider:

1. The average drive time commute in the US is 30 minutes.
2. The average workout period is 20 minutes.
3. There are roughly a bazillion mp3 players in the hands of adults.*

Adventures in Sci Fi Publishing is only one of many book, writer, and publishing themed podcasts. If you want to introduce yourself to a new audience, get on one of them. I highly recommend AISFP, I Should Be Writing, and Writing Excuses for podcasts you should subscribe to for information about the writerly life. The technology needed to acquire podcasts is pretty simple.

I've jumped on this because it's important -- and frequently overlooked.

We now return you to your normally scheduled thread, already in progress...

Sorry, Moses :)

</hijack>

* Ok, I made that last number up, but it's a big number. Easily over a hundred million.

·
Registered
13,424 Posts
Moses,

Yup, I am. I'm still getting over the mehs after coming back from LA ;-)

Nathan,

True, a lot of people listen to podcasts. Personally, I work from home (no driving), if I drive, I like silence, and (duh) I don't own an ipod. But I do listen to the interview sometimes, because you can also do so on your computer.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
Moses,

Yup, I am. I'm still getting over the mehs after coming back from LA ;-)

Nathan,

True, a lot of people listen to podcasts. Personally, I work from home (no driving), if I drive, I like silence, and (duh) I don't own an ipod. But I do listen to the interview sometimes, because you can also do so on your computer.
I don't own an iPod either and also work from home. But I work out. I mow the lawn. I fold laundry. I do dishes.

And I listen on my smartphone. :D

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Asher MacDonald said:
Nathan, have you done a blog post or such on how to make your own podcast?
There's a metric butt-load* of stuff out there. The best resources for podcasting fiction are at the Podiobooks Community site.

The steps are easily laid out:
1. finish writing your book. (this includes editing etc).
2. read it into a recorder
3. divide it into episodes
4. load it on a server.

As always, the devil is in the details.

* 40% larger than an Imperial butt-load.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love the hijack, Nathan. Anytime.

Btw, after interviewing Kris last night, let me tell ya she is one smart cookie. Most people I interview fill the time with plenty of boring, useless info (of course, it's my job to keep them on track, hehe), but when you ask Kris a question she expertly fills the next two minutes with a compact dissertation. I was really impressed.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The podcast is live!

It's alive!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dgaughran said:
Thanks for this Moses.

I will enjoy listening to this today. Your chat with Michael Stackpole was amazing.
Hey, thanks man! Here's the link to that one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.