Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I participated in a sociology Q&A panel session on marriage for my HS senior granddaughter. Her introduction was short and simple: This is my grandmother. I asked her to come today because she's pretty cool. She is here representing long-term marriage.

Not only was I flattered by her compliment, I found encouragement for my new writing projects. I am doing a YA 14-part serial from the viewpoint of a college girl. Simultaneously, I'm working on a novel from the viewpoint of a young woman in her late 20s. In both cases, it is essential I connect with the age group of my target readers.

That brings me to my question: Where have you received encouragement in a non-writing environment (meaning as opposed to someone saying I like your books.)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Well my 14 year old son took my Create Space book proof to his scout meeting and a bunch of his troop came out to tell me how cool it was when I returned to pick him up and that was just the proof.  I wasn't expecting something like that and it was a very nice experience.  Sometimes it's the little things in life that matter  :)

Regards,
SM

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That reminds me of when my son-in-law read my first Women's Fiction novel in self-defense. He'd been telling women at work they should read it. When they asked him what it was about, he didn't know and they gave him a hard time over that. So he read it. Then he went on to read the next two just to see what happened to the three main characters.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Sapphire said:
That reminds me of when my son-in-law read my first Women's Fiction novel in self-defense. He'd been telling women at work they should read it. When they asked him what it was about, he didn't know and they gave him a hard time over that. So he read it. Then he went on to read the next two just to see what happened to the three main characters.
Hehe, very cool! 8)

At least it wasn't erotica LOL! :eek:

·
Registered
641 Posts
Sheryl, I know where I get my encouragement...not only when it comes to writing, but life in general:
women like you. You're a cool person. I'll go so far as to state that quite a few of us believe in long-term:
being in a relationship and/or marriage & staying in it; getting involved in this writing game & staying with it...no matter what: through all of it, ups, downs, rejection slips, praise, 5-stars, 1-stars, sales or no sales, top of the heap on popular lists, or down at the very bottom... Just hanging in. I think there's a lot to be said about peeps who have that. I can't stress enough how much I truly admire this character trait in anyone, be it Humble Hugh, or Jumpin' Joe Konrath, or Mighty Joe N., or Rambunctious Russell...or even loving Cin with her ever-ready hugs & jelly beans.

One minor aside, though: so many of my male characters are just plain dogs, only because they're more fun to write about. However, I do respect you for the kinds of books you prefer to write (I imagine your characters are super loyal & true throughout. Nothing the matter with it. In fact, I'd write more stories like that myself...if I had some assurance my readers wouldn't zone out as a result.) 

Sorry. I think I went on too long. Long-winded way of saying I like peeps like you, et al. You make the world a better place.  ;)

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kirkee said:
Sheryl, I know where I get my encouragement...not only when it comes to writing, but life in general:
women like you. You're a cool person. I'll go so far as to state that quite a few of us believe in long-term:
being in a relationship and/or marriage & staying in it; getting involved in this writing game & staying with it...no matter what: through all of it, ups, downs, rejection slips, praise, 5-stars, 1-stars, sales or no sales, top of the heap on popular lists, or down at the very bottom... Just hanging in. I think there's a lot to be said about peeps who have that. I can't stress enough how much I truly admire this character trait in anyone, be it Humble Hugh, or Jumpin' Joe Konrath, or Mighty Joe N., or Rambunctious Russell...or even loving Cin with her ever-ready hugs & jelly beans.

One minor aside, though: so many of my male characters are just plain dogs, only because they're more fun to write about. However, I do respect you for the kinds of books you prefer to write (I imagine your characters are super loyal & true throughout. Nothing the matter with it. In fact, I'd write more stories like that myself...if I had some assurance my readers wouldn't zone out as a result.)

Sorry. I think I went on too long. Long-winded way of saying I like peeps like you, et al. You make the world a better place. ;)
I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. :-X So what am I doing?-- surfing through WC. ::) Thank you! :-* You have kicked off my day with a big smile on my face. :D And I know I'm a lucky woman to be married to a man who also is committed to long-term loyalty and accepts all my quirks. ;)

(Now for my own minor aside: I am doing a YA serial called Anna's Legacy about a year in the life of a 21-year-old girl who is breaking rules for the first time ever. She meets a mixed bag of male characters, some real jerks, some nice guys with big flaws, and one or two who are actually dangerous.)

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
My son. A few years ago he posted this on his FB page:

My Mom inspires me to turn my interests into a career. I believe one day shes gonna make it big as an author and I couldn't be more prouder of her and all her success with her book series, and if you haven't bought her books yet go buy them!
Happy Mothers Day Mom!
It was the part about turning interests into a career. It reminded me of our kids--they are paying attention even when it doesn't seem like it. He's into fitness and is finding a way to turn it into a career. Completed his personal trainer education, which led him to working towards a degree in health something. (Sorry, can't recall exact degree). Before I published my books, he had no goals, and I was really worried about him. Now, he's 26, has his own apartment, good job, car and going to school. (And his job is at a college, so free tuition!)

It makes me wonder if I hadn't self published, would he have worked so hard to turn his life around? I'm glad that I'll never know. ;D

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
It was about ten years ago now, when he was nine, one of our nephews brought a copy of our book New Zealand with a Hobbit Botherer to school and lots of his friends wanted to know where they could get it. That month we sold about 25 paperbacks, the most we'd ever done in a month :) And because I'd once gone to that primary school, the head teacher wanted a copy of my books for the school too, LOL! Good job there weren't any erotica ones ;)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sheryl, your positive energy really comes through in your posts here. It's always nice for a person (and an author) to feel appreciated! I'm looking forward to similar experiences to the ones posted here now that I'm published! :)

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Missypyxi, thank you. I have learned I am a happier, more content person when I think positively rather than dwell on all that is wrong in the world around me and even with me. I'm not always successful, but I work hard on reversal when I go negative. Sometimes it's just a smile or a kind word that makes a big difference for another person. It feels good to maybe be the one who can do that from time to time...sort of like random acts of kindness. Those feel pretty good, too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's very bad to sink back into negativity, I agree! I also prefer to turn it around as often as I can to keep the positivity going.  You're an inspiration, keep going! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts