Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 20 music files and about 5 books on it - and it says "out of memory"
Is that right ??

·
Registered
167 Posts
music files take up alot of space. the kindle itself holds approx. 200 books but music files are much larger. Your best bet is to get a memory card (sd card) to put your music on so that it is not taking up space. Alot of people have sd cards for music and then also ones for books. I myself only have one for books (2gb at the moment).

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
You should also look at the settings page to see how much memory is available. I would also suggest connecting the USB cable and using windows explorer to find out if there is some gigantic file in there in error which can be removed.

L

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Also try plugging in your Kindle to your computer and then empty the trash. Just because  you have deleted things from you K does not mean they are completely gone, till you empty the trash. This will remove them and restore some of your memory.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Octochick said:
Also try plugging in your Kindle to your computer and then empty the trash. Just because you have deleted things from you K does not mean they are completely gone, till you empty the trash. This will remove them and restore some of your memory.
There's a trash feature on a Kindle?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
CS said:
There's a trash feature on a Kindle?
I think she means the trash can on your desktop.

I tried this myself. First, I deleted a bunch of old newspapers and a few samples. The memory on my Kindle went up from 65 MB to 89 MB. Then I hooked it up to the computer and emptied the trash on the desktop. The Kindle memory when down to 88 MB.

Not really sure what was going on with that!

L

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Leslie said:
I think she means the trash can on your desktop.

I tried this myself. First, I deleted a bunch of old newspapers and a few samples. The memory on my Kindle went up from 65 MB to 89 MB. Then I hooked it up to the computer and emptied the trash on the desktop. The Kindle memory when down to 88 MB.

Not really sure what was going on with that!

L
What if I emptied the trash can long after I disconnected the Kindle from my PC? This is really weird.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
CS said:
What if I emptied the trash can long after I disconnected the Kindle from my PC? This is really weird.
Maybe when Octochick gets back online she can clarify a bit...it's not clear to me what the relationship between the Kindle and the trash is.

L

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I think that Octochick was saying to empty the trash on your desktop while the Kindle is plugged in to the USB.  I don't know much about how memory management works, especially on storage devices like the Kindle, but it is possible that, like on your computer, the trashed files are removed from use but remain until told to definitely go away, like when you say to empty the recycle bin.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Assuming you have been manipulating files while pluged into your computer, you have to empty the trash while the Kindle is hooked up to your computer’s USB port. The computer thinks of the Kindle as just another storage device like a hard drive. When you delete something, it marks the file allocation table to the list the file as deleted and won’t show it in a directory window, but the file is actually still there taking up space. You have to empty the trash to recover the space.

I have to believe that the Kindle will take care of all this by itself if you delete the files using the Content Manager.

Mike

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
jmiked said:
I have to believe that the Kindle will take care of all this by itself if you delete the files from the Content Manager.

Mike
That's what I did...used the content manager. Hooking it up to the computer and emptying the trash didn't seem to make any difference.

L

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I wouldn’t expect any difference if you deleted files using the content manager. But if you delete books or move files from Kindle main memory to an SD card while plugged into your computer, you can end up with a lot of stuff in the trash that needs to be recovered. I got back almost 80 MB of main memory a few weeks ago when I realized what was going on.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Yes, your Kindle must be plugged into your computer. This might only work for files you delete from your Kindle while it is plug into your computer. Some one on the Amazon board was having this problem and I suggested he do this and he said it worked. I know when I use a potable hard drive or delete files from my a digital camera I have, I need to do this to restore the memory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
8)Awsome. I had loaded to many large pics and only had 12 kb of memory. Deleted everything but memory was still full. Asked for info on another site and from Kindle but nobody had an answer. I was able to use it after I installed a memory card and  transfered all new stuff to the card. Saw this post, hooked up my Kindle, emptied trash (took awhile) and now...177mb of memory. Thank you, thank you, thank you. It never occurred to me to empty the trash. Great post. You made my day.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Okay, but my question is, what if you empty trash after you disconnect the Kindle? Does all of that old junk still take up space on your Kindle? Doesn't make much sense to me. And if it somehow does take up space, how do you get that space back if you've already emptied your trash?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
CS said:
Okay, but my question is, what if you empty trash after you disconnect the Kindle? Does all of that old junk still take up space on your Kindle? Doesn't make much sense to me. And if it somehow does take up space, how do you get that space back if you've already emptied your trash?
CS, you have to empty the trash while your Kindle is connected because it is actually on your Kindle. The Kindle doesn't know that the trash has been emptied on the computer while it was disconnected; it needs to actually hear the event to properly clean up. Try connecting the Kindle and emptying the trash again - I bet it will recognize that the Kindle needs to be emptied, even if the hard drive doesn't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts