Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are a member of Audible.com, they are having a sale on the first books in various series, $4.95.  So, The Outlander, that usually sells for $20-$30 dollars is $4.95.  They say it's for members only.

Even though we're reading it, I thought I would buy it to listen to too as several members say it's great to listen to and hear the names, etc.  And for $4.95!!!  And there are lots of other series' first books, too, like Dead Until Dark!

Log into your Audible account.  The offer is in a banner at the top of the page.

Betsy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thank you, Betsy - I'd never heard of this series before, but based on all of the talk here and Audible's terrific deal, I did download the audiobook and am loving it!  Unfortunately, the other audiobooks in the series are still listed at over $40.  Well, with 32 hours in this one, I think I'll be just fine for quite awhile.  Thanks again!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
ConnieK said:
Thank you, Betsy - I'd never heard of this series before, but based on all of the talk here and Audible's terrific deal, I did download the audiobook and am loving it! Unfortunately, the other audiobooks in the series are still listed at over $40. Well, with 32 hours in this one, I think I'll be just fine for quite awhile. Thanks again!
Great! How far in are you? You can still join the discussion if you'd like to.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's only the first book in a number of series that is on sale.  (At least it's the first and not the 2d as seems to be common on Amazon).  I just started listening to Outlander today while I worked out and I'm already reading it for the Book Klub.  I'm enjoying listeniing knowing what's coming and seeing how DG is setting things up....  like Frank explaining to Claire what Sassenach means.

Betsy

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
If you sign up for a membership, you can either get 1 credit for $14.95 or 2 credits for $22.95. The Outlander books are all 1 credit books, so you could get the rest of the books for about $11.50 each.

Sadly, they don't and won't have books 5 and 6 unabridged for probably a couple more years (it's a publishing rights thing), but you can either check the CDs out from the library or rent/buy them from Recorded Books

http://recordedbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=rb.search_books&show_by=series&series_id=139

Audible does have the abridged versions of those 2, but they're not worth the time/money/effort because they cut out about 75% of the books

·
Registered
224 Posts
Everyone - your responses have been so helpful.  For some reason, although I have purchased books through Audible for several years, my membership has not automatically renewed recently.  I will certainly renew it and take advantage of the credits when I'm ready for subsequent books in the series.  Thanks so much for that reminder. 

With audiobooks it's hard to tell how far along I am.  I guess I haven't been hearing the narrator note when the chapters change.  I am only at the 4 hour mark (out of 32) and Claire is still helping Jamie with his latest wound caused by taking the punishment in place of a young girl at court, so I think I have some catching up to do to catch up with the Book Klub.  As I usually only listen while I'm working out, this gives me added incentive to get on the treadmill!  Hope to catch up soon and join you.

A little off topic, but the absolute best audiobook narration I have ever heard was for a book titled Brother Fish by Bryce Courtenay.  It is another very long audiobook that I was so sorry to have come to an end.  Multiple accents - even singing - which complemented the story beautifully. 

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
ConnieK said:
With audiobooks it's hard to tell how far along I am. I guess I haven't been hearing the narrator note when the chapters change. I am only at the 4 hour mark (out of 32) and Claire is still helping Jamie with his latest wound caused by taking the punishment in place of a young girl at court, so I think I have some catching up to do to catch up with the Book Klub. As I usually only listen while I'm working out, this gives me added incentive to get on the treadmill! Hope to catch up soon and join you.
You're on Chapter 4 - Colum's Hall. It's a good thing you mentioned Jamie taking the beating for Laheer, because Claire is always doctoring some wound or other for him. :D

Join us when you can.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Read a little more and you can browse the first discussion thread, chapters 1-5!  And post your thoughts!

Betsy

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks Betsy - I did browse through that section and found everyone's comments very interesting.  I think that section of the boards is locked for now, so I'll keep listening to the book and try to catch up.  I think I'm around Chapter 10 right now.  Jaimie and Claire just rescued the boy in the village who was pinned by the ear.  Ouch. 

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
ConnieK said:
Thanks Betsy - I did browse through that section and found everyone's comments very interesting. I think that section of the boards is locked for now, so I'll keep listening to the book and try to catch up. I think I'm around Chapter 10 right now. Jaimie and Claire just rescued the boy in the village who was pinned by the ear. Ouch.
Hi, Connie. Welcome to our Klub. I hope you are enjoying the book. Listening takes longer than reading, but I know it's nice to hear the accents. I imagine it takes you deep into the time and place.

Join us in discussion when you can.

Gertie.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts