Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. If you like historic fiction, this is a great series. The only problem was, as soon as I finished one, I would go on the Kindle Store and buy the next one. I seriously neglected my school work while reading this set (I am a grad. student).

Diana Gabaldon makes you feel like you are in Scotland in the middle of the Uprising of 1745. She then follows Claire and Jamie through their lives for the next 30 years. Sometimes, I felt like I could hear Jamie's Scottish brogue.

This is a great read, but be warned - make sure all your work is done before you start reading.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hiya tlshaw....welcome to the forum. We've been talking about The Outlander series among others in other threads throughout the Book Corner. I think they may be under "What are you reading?" and "Favorite books", or something to that matter. Feel free to join in :))

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've read them all but the last one - which I have downloaded and it is in the queue.  Great reads!!

OK....  break over.....  back to the grindstone/salt mines.  BBL

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
For those of us who love Jamie and Claire, Essential Entertainment is going to be producing the franchise, starting with Outlander.  Randy Wallace (Braveheart) has written the screenplay and it is out to directors now.  As we speak, they are in Scotland scouting locations, with an eye toward beginning filming in the Spring.  

I read Outlander when it first came out and gave up on a movie long ago.  Now that's it's going to be a reality, I'm worried about all the things that can go wrong.  If the casting isn't right, especially Jamie (Karl Urban/Eomer), I may not even go to see it.  

I hope that Peter Jackson takes over the directing chores, so we can be assured of an honest and probably successful effort.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
tlshaw said:
I just finished The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. If you like historic fiction, this is a great series. The only problem was, as soon as I finished one, I would go on the Kindle Store and buy the next one. I seriously neglected my school work while reading this set (I am a grad. student).

Diana Gabaldon makes you feel like you are in Scotland in the middle of the Uprising of 1745. She then follows Claire and Jamie through their lives for the next 30 years. Sometimes, I felt like I could hear Jamie's Scottish brogue.

This is a great read, but be warned - make sure all your work is done before you start reading.
Hell tlshaw and welcome to the boards! This is a series I have never read but always been interested in. It will definitely be added to my wish list. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
gertiekindle said:
For those of us who love Jamie and Claire, Essential Entertainment is going to be producing the franchise, starting with Outlander. Randy Wallace (Braveheart) has written the screenplay and it is out to directors now. As we speak, they are in Scotland scouting locations, with an eye toward beginning filming in the Spring.

I read Outlander when it first came out and gave up on a movie long ago. Now that's it's going to be a reality, I'm worried about all the things that can go wrong. If the casting isn't right, especially Jamie (Karl Urban/Eomer), I may not even go to see it.

I hope that Peter Jackson takes over the directing chores, so we can be assured of an honest and probably successful effort.
Thanks for the heads up gertie!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Favorite, Favorite, Favorite books, hands down! These were among the first books I bought for my Kindle. I discovered Outlander on Audible several years ago and got hooked.

The next book in the series should be out sometime next year...

Also, If you didn't know, she's got the Lord John series as well. Not as good or nearly as long as Outlander, but Lord John is one of my favorite characters.

Movies? Finally? I don't know if I'd be able to watch them. I honestly love the books so much, I don't want to be disappointed with the movie (Think Harry potter..hated the 4th movie and it's my favorite book of the series)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Glad to know!  I have just started Outlander and am only at chapter 2.  Still a long way to go but I have been hearing so many great things about the book that I can't wait until I finish it! 

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
mydreamywish said:
Glad to know! I have just started Outlander and am only at chapter 2. Still a long way to go but I have been hearing so many great things about the book that I can't wait until I finish it!
Wait until it really gets going...don't want to spoil it for you but the "pages" will just fly by :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have you to thank Chynared!  I felt like I have been missing something reading all these good things about this series.  I had to hop to it when I finished my other great read this afternoon!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
mydreamywish said:
I have you to thank Chynared! I felt like I have been missing something reading all these good things about this series. I had to hop to it when I finished my other great read this afternoon!
You'll get lost in this book, become sad when it ends and smile again when you start the second in the series...plus, I learned a lot about the time period and of the countries mentioned as well.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
If you liked The Outlander series, check out Sara Donati's series. The first one is, I think, Lake In The Clouds. The  main character is the son of Hawkeye (of Last of the Mohican's fame). I'd give it 3-1/2 stars (maybe 4 if I were in a good mood).

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
FearNot said:
If you liked The Outlander series, check out Sara Donati's series. The first one is, I think, Lake In The Clouds. The main character is the son of Hawkeye (of Last of the Mohican's fame). I'd give it 3-1/2 stars (maybe 4 if I were in a good mood).
Actually, the first one is Into the Wilderness, followed by Lake in the Clouds. Ironically, Into the Wilderness isn't available on the Kindle yet... I do have the pb version but would gladly buy the Kindle version :)

Click away...

I'm a sucker for historical fiction...here's another one that's set in England and moves on to NYC :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
chynared21 said:
Wait until it really gets going...don't want to spoil it for you but the "pages" will just fly by :p
Unless you start hyperventilating like I did when
Jamie and Claire came back to Castle Leoch after the wedding.
Powerful stuff.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Great use of spoiler text!  (And for those who don't know, quoting a passage with the spoiler text in it reveals the hidden text when you're replying.)

I'm looking forward to reading some of these!

Betsy

·
Registered
829 Posts
I still say that I'm in love with Jamie and read these and pretend I am Claire.
Don't tell Chris though, it would hurt his feelings

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
mydreamywish said:
Glad to know! I have just started Outlander and am only at chapter 2. Still a long way to go but I have been hearing so many great things about the book that I can't wait until I finish it!
Yeah, I tried the sample, and it was pretty long, but nothing much seemed to have happened. So many people have raved about these books, though, that I put in on my "Save For Later" list anyway. I'll get to it one of these days when I need a nice fat novel to dig into.

·
Registered
829 Posts
marianner said:
Yeah, I tried the sample, and it was pretty long, but nothing much seemed to have happened. So many people have raved about these books, though, that I put in on my "Save For Later" list anyway. I'll get to it one of these days when I need a nice fat novel to dig into.
It really is worth it. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really. Honestly. Really.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts