Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the Outlander books in order, as several people have asked about them. Also, gertie said she'd continue to book klub for at least two more books. If we put them all here, maybe she'll stay on beyond those. It'll be our little secret, k?

1. Outlander:
2. Dragonfly in Amber:
3. Voyager:
4. Drums of Autumn:
5. The Fiery Cross:
6. A Breath of Snow and Ashes:

Can anyone tell that I have a ton of work I'm avoiding today?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, look! a bunny!
Cool! That took less time than I ever would have believed. I'm going to see if I can make "Who's on First" break out in the buy sell or barter forum!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
My personal opinion is that Amazon has raised the kindle prices because of so many kindle purchases!  I have the DTB but would much much much rather read on the kindle.  Had to hold my Outlander book and have a sore shoulder now (awwwwwww)  :'(  The cost is more than my budget - maybe if I order the next fast fast I'll get them before the prices go up??  ::)

Maybe if we put HP references in our answers Gertie will hang in there?  She has such terrific questions!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, now, that is funny.

Disturbing, but funny.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was going to ask a question but that disturbing picture made me forget...

Oh yeah, I was wondering how good this series really is. I noticed there are plenty of people that have read this multiple times. I almost got the audio book a couple of months ago because it popped up as a really popular Sci-Fi pick. Then I started reading some reviews and people complained about it being borderling trashy romance novel that spent way too much describing intimate scenes. I can see where some people may have been upset and even uncomfortable reading that type of story. I can't say I really want to sit back and read page after page of it myself. Some were probable even more angry because it was listed as Sci-Fi and people may not have been expecting what they heard. Yet, I also saw plenty of other male readers that loved the story and even admitted it was something they would have never read if it hadn't showed up as Sci-Fi.

Now, I am not exactly the trashy romance novel kind of guy, but I do love a really good story which this book apparently has. I can even overlook\forgive quite a bit too if the story is really worth it. I guess I was wondering if I would be disappointed reading it because these reviews were true and the story really just a story tied together with a bunch of sex scenes or have these types of reviews been exaggerated by people? Do we have any other guys here reading it to throw in an opinion? I haven't really read the messages to see, obviously because I would hate to ruin the story.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well, it is not a Sci-Fi novel. If that was what the reviewers you saw were expecting, I can see why they might be disappointed. It was probably included in that genre because time travel is an important part of the story.

It is more of an historial fiction, with a love story that is central to the plot. It is very well-written, and one reason that everyone loves it is that the characterization development is excellent.

The love scenes can be a little explicit (and the adults are not always consenting) but they are important to the story and the characters, and no, they don't take up that much of the bulk of the story. So if story is what you are looking for, I think it's worth your while to give the first book a chance. There are 6 in total, with 1 (maybe 2?) more on the way.

If you are looking for a male perspective, here is what our guy Harvey had to say about the 'romance' parts...

Harvey said:
- I guess I have led a sheltered reading life, but I haven't read many books with as many love scenes as those between Claire and Jamie. I found those tastefully done, and interesting to read them from a woman's perspective. I think the fact that Jamie was inexperienced made those scenes more important to the story line and to understanding his relationship with Claire. I didn't think the raciness was there just for cheap tittilation; it was pretty central to the arc of the story.
Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts