Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 368 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a deep breath here and trying to calm my beating heart. I've never discussed Outlander with so many people before and it's really very exciting.

Just a reminder, we will be reading Chapters 6-10 this week while discussing Chapters 1-5.

To start the discussion going, I will post my own answers first. As I said before, you may want to just respond to other members' answers, but I would like to encourage you to answer the questions yourself, as well. I think that will enhance your reading experience.

Also, I would like to discourage the use of spoiler tags. I've seen posts before that ended up being nothing but spoiler tags (on other forums) and some people can't resist looking anyway. I feel it's best to be careful not to spoil at all.

SO GET ON WITH IT ALREADY, GERTIE!!!!

PART 1---OUTLANDER

Inverness, 1945 Chapters 1-5
Pages 3-99 PB, Pages 1-71 HC
Study Questions...

1) What is your impression of Frank? of Claire?

2) When Claire and Frank are walking back from the Vicarage, they pass a "weathered Pictish
stone that...guard[ed] the crossroads it had marked for a thousand years." What do you think is
the significance, if any, of this stone?

3) When Frank sees a "ghost" looking at Claire's window, he suspects she might have been
unfaithful to him during the war. Do you think she was? Do you think Frank was unfaithful to
Claire during the war?

Chapter Two

1) What did you think of Mrs. Graham's "fortune telling"?

2) Do you think Frank is reluctant to adopt a child because of his great love for Claire, or is there
another reason?

3) Why do you think the stones at Craigh na Dun don't "hum" the first two times Claire visits
them?

Chapter Three

1) What would you do if you suddenly found yourself back in time? Do you think Claire
reacted/handled it well?

2) What was your very FIRST impression of Jamie?

Chapter Four

1) What was your reaction to "seeing" Jamie's back for the first time? Did it suprise you to find
out that Frank's ancestor had done that to Jamie?

2) What did you think when you realized that Jamie was attracted to Claire?

Chapter Five

1) What did you think of Claire's story to Colum to explain how she ended up with the Scots? Would you have believed her?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PART 1---OUTLANDER
Inverness, 1945 Chapters 1-5
Pages 3-99 PB, Pages 1-71 HC

Chapter 1

Frank is a bit of an enigma.  He hangs his ties neatly and evenly and gives the impression of someone who could be uptight and priggish.  But that’s not the case at all.  He plays a joke on Mrs.  Baird by pretending to have sex with Claire so Mrs.  Baird can hear them.  He gets excited by his historical discoveries with Rev.  Wakefield, the blood on the doorsteps and Craig Na Dun.  He also may have been in dangerous undercover assignments during the War.  Claire wonders what his job really was when they are spying on the Druids at Craig Na Dun.  It must still be very classified stuff for him not to have told her after they were reunited.

Claire is more obvious and straightforward.  She was a nurse in a field hospital dealing with life and death every day.  She’s had to be both a survivor and a fighter.  I think those traits were part of her personality anyway but they were intensified by the War. 

Both Frank and Claire were what their War experiences had made them.  They were in the thick of it in two different fields.  Their relationship, I think, is more important than my impressions of them individually.  Or maybe their personalities and war experiences set the stage for their relationship.  I really don’t think they would have been able to stay together.  They hung on to their love during the War as a way to get through it.  At the time they went to Scotland, they were on an extended honeymoon prior to facing a real married life.  Claire’s purchase of the vases is very significant in that regard.  I don’t think she would have fit in as an Oxford Don’s wife.  She would have been restless and had a hard time suppressing her “field nurse” side.  A lot of people were making adjustments after the War and not all of them managed.  I think Claire would have been one of them who didn’t manage.  Frank had his work and Claire had Botany.  How long do you think she would have been happy pressing flowers?

2) When Claire and Frank are walking back from the Vicarage, they pass a "weathered Pictish stone that...guarded the crossroads it had marked for a thousand years." What do you think is the significance, if any, of this stone?

Just an example of the timelessness of some objects.  Something that was there in the 18th Century and still there in the 20th Century. 

3) When Frank sees a "ghost" looking at Claire's window, he suspects she might have been unfaithful to him during the war. Do you think she was? Do you think Frank was unfaithful to Claire during the war?

I never made this connection.  It’s only after seeing this ghost, who is looking longingly at Claire through the window, that it occurs to him she might have been unfaithful.  I think Frank had a kind of deja vu or ESP moment when the ghost communicated to him a deep physical and emotional attachment to Claire.  Claire hotly denies his charge, but later on, I think Ch 5, she admits she’s had a few other men besides Frank.  Whether or not this was during the War isn’t made clear.  But Claire was 19 when she married Frank and hadn’t had much time to have a lot of sexual experience.  Remember we’re talking about the 1930's when they were married, and Claire led a nomadic life with Uncle Lamb so wasn’t settled in a place long enough to get really involved with any men.  Frank being the exception, of course.  So, yes, I think she was unfaithful to Frank and he was unfaithful to her.  Neither of them are saints and I would be very surprised if they were able to stay faithful. 

Chapter Two

I got a kick out of the peacock feather and the Reverend’s yellow peacock dressing gown.  But even though Mrs.  Graham was confused by the tea leaves and palm reading, I don’t think she had a clue.

2) Do you think Frank is reluctant to adopt a child because of his great love for Claire, or is there another reason?

I think it had more to do with being an historian and wanting to be sure of the history and lineage of any child they had. 

3) Why do you think the stones at Craigh na Dun don't "hum" the first two times Claire visits them?

That’s always bothered me.  Claire was there with Frank during the Beltane ritual.  It’s possible that his presence anchored her to the present.  It’s also possible that the conditions on the other end of the time spectrum weren’t right.  And it was definitely not Beltane when Claire arrived.  The letter that Colum was writing was dated April 20, 1743. 

What I wonder about, too, is the ladies involved in the ritual.  They obviously knew there was something up with the split stone as they all walked through it.  I don’t think they could have known the exact significance of those stones, or they wouldn’t have chanced walking through them dressed in nothing but a bed sheet. 

Chapter Three

1) What would you do if you suddenly found yourself back in time? Do you think Claire reacted/handled it well?

Claire handled it pretty well.  She was used to tough situations and having to put her emotions aside.  That’s what probably saved her.  I would be a blithering idiot, myself.  Shaking and shivering and crying would be the least of it.

Not much.  He was just a wounded young man and that’s all that made him different.  Later on, he was not only very kind to Claire, but seemed to show a very mature understanding of her feelings and needs. 

Chapter Four

1) What was your reaction to "seeing" Jamie's back for the first time? Did it suprise you to find out that Frank's ancestor had done that to Jamie?

Even after reading the book several times, it still shocks me.  Flogging is a problem I have with any 18th or 19th Century literature.  How can anyone live through what is essentially being flayed alive?  Think about 50 or even 100 lashes.  And sometimes they used metal-tipped whips.  Then there’s the fact that there were no sanitary conditions or effective means of treating the wounds.  At sea, they would douse the prisoner with sea water, but that was more to add additional punishment than to help heal.  As Miracle Max says ... maybe you’d like to give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it.  That’s what I always think of. 

I assume this questions concerns Jamie’s “reaction” when Claire is sitting on his lap and he’s comforting her.  Have to laugh.  Such a typical male.  And it was funny the way DG wrote it.

Chapter Five

1) What did you think of Claire's story to Colum to explain how she ended up with the Scots? Would you have believed her?

I don’t know what else Claire could have said.  She certainly couldn’t have told Colum the truth.  They’d have sent her to an asylum.  But as Colum said, he hadn’t survived as the leader of Clan MacKenzie for 20 years by believing everything he’s told. 

At about Location 87, Claire talks about Frank's dozens of books and papers he traveled around with.  Anybody else think, "Frank needs a Kindle."

·
Registered
326 Posts
The way that Claire is eyeballing Jamie kinda tells me that she was unfaithful to Frank. I mean its only been a day or two away from her husband and Jamie seems to be one of the main things on her mind. I dont know if Frank was unfaithful because nothing has been said about it.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
See, I wondered if Frank worried about her being unfaithful because he had been. We tend to see in others what is in us.

About the questions:

I think Claire & Frank's marriage was good physically, but they had so little in common, it wasn't going to work. She is very practical and down to earth, he is anchored in the past. But you know, there was something about her that made the ghost visit her and made her susceptible to being pulled into the past--maybe that was what attracted him to her.

2) When Claire and Frank are walking back from the Vicarage, they pass a "weathered Pictish
stone that...guard[ed] the crossroads it had marked for a thousand years." What do you think is

I think it's something that Claire will see when she's in the past.

3) When Frank sees a "ghost" looking at Claire's window, he suspects she might have been
unfaithful to him during the war. Do you think she was? Do you think Frank was unfaithful to
Claire during the war
?

I think she at least had feelings for someone during the war....and I think Frank probably was, that's why he keeps thinking she was too. And the ghost is fascinating, I can't help but think it's Jamie, so that she's sort of in both times nearly simultaneously or something.

Chapter Two

More foreshadowing of her relationship with Jamie, I suspect.

2) Do you think Frank is reluctant to adopt a child because of his great love for Claire, or is there
another reason?

He may not want a child at all....a child would take Claire away from him and distract him from his work.

3) Why do you think the stones at Craigh na Dun don't "hum" the first two times Claire visits
them?

I'm going to have to reread that part and think about it. I tend to think that the different times weren't in confluence or something.

Chapter Three

1) What would you do if you suddenly found yourself back in time? Do you think Claire
reacted/handled it well?

I think I would have been totally unprepared for any of it and would have ended up dead or in a nuthouse. Claire handled it about as well as could be expected, maybe better, she didn't really seem to be that mystified by being in the past suddenly. I don't think I would have believed it even after seeing the letter.

just some young hunk.

Chapter Four

1) What was your reaction to "seeing" Jamie's back for the first time? Did it surprise you to find

Horrified, and yes it does sort of surprise me that it is Frank's ancestor.

Thought it was a normal reaction of a young man to a young attractive woman on his lap.

Chapter Five

Pretty lame, but the best she could come up with on the spur of the moment.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Claire during the war
?

I think she at least had feelings for someone during the war....and I think Frank probably was, that's why he keeps thinking she was too. And the ghost is fascinating, I can't help but think it's Jamie, so that she's sort of in both times nearly simultaneously or something.
At about location 501, Claire says there is no "evidence to imply unfaithfulness on my part." She never came right out and said she was faithful; only that there was no evidence that she wasn't.

Betsy, you said previously that you liked Outlander from the beginning. I did, too. For me, it was Claire's personality when she said things like, "At least we were not set upon by highwaymen, we encountered no wild beasts, and it didn't rain. By the standards I was becoming used to, it was quite dull." (Location 1563)

What made you like the book from the start?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts

I didn't think they were very suited for one another.

2) When Claire and Frank are walking back from the Vicarage, they pass a "weathered Pictish stone that...guard[ed] the crossroads it had marked for a thousand years." What do you think is the significance, if any, of this stone?

It shows the history of Scotland. How so many things are still standing after so many years.

3) When Frank sees a "ghost" looking at Claire's window, he suspects she might have been unfaithful to him during the war. Do you think she was? Do you think Frank was unfaithful to Claire during the war?

Six years is a long time. I think they were both unfaithful to each other…sad as that is.

Chapter Two

I get a kick out of this part. "with her blouse cut down to her breakfast"..love that line. I think Mrs. Graham is very confused by what she sees from the tea leaves and the palm reading.

2) Do you think Frank is reluctant to adopt a child because of his great love for Claire, or is there another reason?

I think he's the type who doesn't think he can love a child that isn't "his". Lineage and history is far too important to him.

3) Why do you think the stones at Craigh na Dun don't "hum" the first two times Claire visits them?

I don't think the timing was right

Chapter Three

1) What would you do if you suddenly found yourself back in time? Do you think Claire reacted/handled it well?

I would have been totally freaked and probably not handled it well at all.

Cute guy who's managed to get himself hurt.

Chapter Four

1) What was your reaction to "seeing" Jamie's back for the first time? Did it surprise you to find out that Frank's ancestor had done that to Jamie?

I was horrified when I saw his back for the first time. I was very surprised that it was Frank's ancestor.

I had to laugh. Typical male reaction..

Chapter Five

She couldn't have told the truth. I think she came up with the best possible story under the circumstances. As for believing her…Probably not, but, I don't know if she could have come up with a believable story.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i think i messed up. Are we supposed to answer all the questions in one post? If so i'll go back and try to do it.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Okay guys my schedule has chaged drastically at work. I have an inpatient post-op pain study requring me to be here at 4:30 AM and leaving work some days after five. I have to be in pre-op, operating room and post op. I am going to continue to read the book as scheduled I hope but not sure how much discussing I can do. I had just sat down to anwer the questions and got beeped to goback to hospital.  :- :-\

I iwll try to get around to reading the posts but not sure if I will have the time. My slow time is over at work  :(

Linda

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Linda, don't sweat it, it's not a test, you don't have to answer all the questions, you can just pop in and make smart-alec comments like I plan to do most of the time, LOL!

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Lizzy said:
i think i messed up. Are we supposed to answer all the questions in one post? If so i'll go back and try to do it.
I don't think it's mandatory....Gertie?

I think there's going to be a certain amount of give and take, as in any discussion. However, you might want to go through and see if there are any other questions that give you a jumping off point for discussion. Clearly the unfaithful question struck a chord with you!

Betsy

·
Registered
40 Posts

I didn't think they had a lot in common. It was kind of like they just co-existed. More like room mates than a couple. That being said, I loved the banter back and forth between the two of them.

2) When Claire and Frank are walking back from the Vicarage, they pass a "weathered Pictish stone that...guard[ed] the crossroads it had marked for a thousand years." What do you think is the significance, if any, of this stone?

I didn't think much about it, or what it might mean to the story line.

I think she was probably unfaithful to him, but I didn't get where Frank would come to that conclusion just based on seeing the ghost. Maybe I zoned out on that part?

Chapter Two

I thought it was foreshadowing of what might be coming. Especially with the broken love or marriage line.

I agree with previous posters. I think lineage was too important to him.

Because she wasn't alone the first two times.

Chapter Three

I thought she handled it really well. I am sure I wouldn't have the presence of mind to fabricate a story like hers. She was thinking quickly for such an odd thing that was happening.

I knew she would feel sorry for him and that her nurse instinct would kick in soon.

Chapter Four

1) What was your reaction to "seeing" Jamie's back for the first time? Did it surprise you to find out that Frank's ancestor had done that to Jamie?

I couldn't believe it and then I couldn't believe it was done by Frank's ancestors. It bothers me to read about floggings. For real.

That part cracked me up. Men (rolling my eyes). Just kidding.

Chapter Five

I thought it was pretty good considering the unbelievable situation she was in. I didn't see any flaws in it. :)

Oh and P.S. I was just excited in the first chapter that I didn't have to look up the meaning of the word "exegesis" when it was used. It was a new word to me that I learned from my Kindle screen saver.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
Re: Frank's ancestor.

Most of you, so far, are saying you were surprised it was Frank's ancestor that did it.  Not me.  Since the first person C. ran into int he past was Randall, and he did not treat her particularly gentlemanly, shall we say, I was not surprised in the least when J. said it was him who'd flogged him.  I expect he'll show up again; if she ever gets back to her time it's going to affect how she sees Frank.

Ann

·
Registered
168 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
See, I wondered if Frank worried about her being unfaithful because he had been. We tend to see in others what is in us.
That is pretty much what my reaction was when I read that part. I think they are still trying to work out how their life will be going forward. I don't see them as settling down well together in daily life now that the war is over.

another reason?
I don't know that it's love so much as that he doesn't want anything to take her attention away from him. If it was a child of his own, he could get himself over that mental hurdle. But an adoptive child, with unknown lineage? Not of any interest to him.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I started to read everyone else's responses and had so many "ah hah" moments that I think I better put mine down and then read the others otherwise I will be too influenced by you guys....

Totally loved Claire - wish I had her strength and spunk. Frank seemed like he truly cared for Claire and had his moments of fun, but his learning and research would always come first. She is more of an afterthought.

I think it will be an anchor for her when she goes to the past. Somehow, numerous important events will happen at this spot.

Claire during the war?

I think the "ghost" is someone she knows when she goes to the past. Since she hasn't gone to the past yet, this is confusing, but I'm sure it works itself out. I don't think she was unfaithful, but I think she was tempted. I do think Frank was unfaithful.

Chapter Two

I think it was used to get to reader to accept the plausibility of Claire leading two lives. This way we are willing to accept her time travel.

another reason?

I don't think he wants to be bothered with a child.

them?

The conditions are not right.

Chapter Three

reacted/handled it well?

She did great - I would have been a goner for sure

Is this the guy she's going to be with? Up until that point I had thought it would be Randall, then the leader of the Scots. I had thought Jamie was "a young boy" - until he was described better, I was thinking a 15 year old kid that was the mascot of the group.

Chapter Four

1) What was your reaction to "seeing" Jamie's back for the first time? Did it suprise you to find

Unfortunately, I wasn't shocked because it was part of the time period. I also tend to gloss over parts like that because the reality is just so awful. Also, it didn't shock me to know that Frank's ancestor did it. Who knows what Frank did while on assignment - I don't know enough about him and also, people aren't like their ancestors.

Well, looks like Jamie is the one she will be with for the book series.... How much younger is he than her?

Chapter Five

I thought she did the best she could, but no, I wouldn't have believed her.

Now, back to read the rest and see if I am alone with my thinking....
I am really loving the way this book is written. I've laughed out loud, already been nervous and sad and am totally hooked!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Linda, don't sweat it, it's not a test, you don't have to answer all the questions, you can just pop in and make smart-alec comments like I plan to do most of the time, LOL!

Betsy
Exactly. I think Claire is going to inspire us to be smart-alecky.

Betsy the Quilter said:
I don't think it's mandatory....Gertie?
Not mandatory at all.

I think there's going to be a certain amount of give and take, as in any discussion. However, you might want to go through and see if there are any other questions that give you a jumping off point for discussion. Clearly the unfaithful question struck a chord with you!

Betsy
What Betsy said ...

vg said:
How much younger is he than her?
This isn't giving away a plot point, so I don't consider it a spoiler. Jamie is 23 and Claire is 27.

Now, back to read the rest and see if I am alone with my thinking....
I am really loving the way this book is written. I've laughed out loud, already been nervous and sad and am totally hooked!
Me, too, even though I've read it a dozen times.

BTW, in response to Shizu's PM, when I quote a location, I'm using Font #4. You know, mature eyes and all.

I'm leaving home about 3:30 and won't be back until 6pm (HP Book Club), but I'll check in again before I leave. Discuss away. I promise to read all your responses when I get back.

You've already made some good points.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wheeee! And we're off!

I will start by saying these are really, really hard to answer having read the series so many times! ACK! Hard not to give spoilers! But if you others can do it, so can I! :D

I Frank was a bit of a milktoast. Rather too focused on the past, but obviously very in love with Claire - or rather, he thinks he's very in love with Claire. Claire is a hoot. She says what she thinks and thinks later.

I'm sure the first time I read this, it didn't even make an impression. But as others have said, it's foreshadowing other events to come.

Claire during the war?

Now see, I really didn't think Claire was unfaithful, but I was sure Frank was. As Betsy said, we think others are the same as we are.

Chapter Two

I thought it was very interesting, and more foreshadowing.

another reason?

I think it has to do with his obsession with genealogy and his ancestors. He wouldn't want a stranger in his family tree.

them?

Everything that is necessary to travel through time isn't in place.

Chapter Three

reacted/handled it well?

Claire handled it very well! As others have said, I'd have been a blithering idiot!

That he was very stoic.

Chapter Four

One of the parts that really gives me the willies to read. I won't say that it surprised me that Black Jack did it, since he obviously wasn't a very nice person, but it's just one of the connections in this book that makes it such an interesting read.

Go Claire and Jamie!! ;)

Chapter Five

I think it was as good as anything else she could have come up with. She kept to the facts as much as possible.

·
Registered
19 Posts
OK, here's my two cents...

Chapter 1
1.  Impression of Claire and Frank:  I really like Claire, but Frank seems a little "old" for her.  I don't think the marriage would last. 
2.  Weathered Pictish Stone:  I think this may have some significance later is the book.
3.  Ghost appearance:  I think probably they both were unfaithful, Frank for sure.

Chapter 2
1.  Mrs. Graham's fortune telling:  A good way to set up the premise of the "double life" aspect.
2.  Adoption:  Frank could never adopt a child because of the unknown lineage.
3.  Humming Stones:  Timing?  This was Claire's first visit after the "witches' gathering".  Perhaps the ritual had some bearing on the activity  of the stones.

Chapter 3
1.  Finding myself back in time:  I think Claire handled it well.  I probably would have a hard time comprehending and would freak out.
2.  First Impresseion of Jamie:  Brave, humble, subdued, tender.  What a man!

Chapter 4
1.  Jamie's back:  Horror, but not surprised that it was done by Randall.
2.  Jamie's feelings for Claire:  Funny...but so typical.

Chapter 5
1.  Claire's story:  I think she was half-way believable, but I'm not sure he was convinced. 

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thanks, Gertie for the age clarification.  This is my first time through the book, and for some reason I always picture WW2 nurses in their 30s, so I had a big gap in my mind.  This will help me get a visual..

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
1. I think Claire & Frank had some fun together, I like the fact they could make each other laugh & no problems with their sex life. I think he was more uptight than her and feel she was more committed to the marrriage. Love her persoanlity and courage.

2. Not sure about the stone but think it has something to do with time in the future or the past.

3. I don't think Claire was unfaithful but I suspect Frank was

Chapter 2
1. I thought the things Mrs Graham used were funny but feel her fortune telling is a way to bridge the gap between the time
2. Adopting a child- too selfish to share Claire

3. Stones humming- something wasn't right or not in place for it to occur previously

Chapter 3
1. I would be terrified if I went back in time. Claire did a great job, exactly what I would expect from her

2. Jamie- handsome, courageous, gentleman

Chapter 4

1. Jamies back- not surprised, flogging was common punishment in that time period. Surprised who did it. Claire did what a nuturer, caring woman would do, take charge and take care of him. Nurse came out in her.

2. Jamie's feeling for Claire- after all he is a man, raging hormones!!

Chapter 5

1. Claire's story- somewhat believable, better than I would have done

WOO HOO now I can read some more!!!

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Reminder to Shizu, Gertie and others, if you are using location numbers, the font size doesn't matter, that's the point of location numbers...if I go to location 501 in Outlander, it's location 501 no matter the font size.  Try it, change the font size, select Menu, Go to location 501.  Note the text at the beginning of the page, then select Menu, Go to Beginning, change the font size and then go to location 501 again.  The page will start with the same text.  So locations are quite exact, and a great way to cite a place in the book!

Gertie, you asked what made me like the first part of the book.  I guess it was the sense of place that the author, DG, developed.  Maybe it was because I've been to Scotland, but I felt like I could picture the place and the people...and got a good sense of Claire.  I was enjoying seeing the area through her eyes.

Betsy

1 - 20 of 368 Posts