Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I goofed.  I told you to read Chapters 26-34.  It should have been 26-33.  I'm only going to put the questions for 26-33 here for our discussion this week.

This week we will be reading the rest of the book, Parts 6 and 7, Chps 34-41.  Very intense stuff coming up.  Have the Kleenex handy.

Part 5-- Outlander

"Lallybroch"
Chapters 26-33

1. While discussing Geillis' crimes and Claire's past, Jamie defines being a good husband as having money, a good position, and not beating his wife (in reference to Arthur Duncan). Does Jamie qualify as a good husband at this point?

2. First Impressions of Lallybroch?

3. What is your reaction to Jamie and Jenny's relationship?  How did you feel about their fight?

4. What is your Impression of Ian?

5. This is our first real "domestic" glance at Jamie and Claire. What is your feeling about their relationship at this point?

6. How do you feel about Grannie MacNab and the incident at the millpond?

7. We find out a alot about Jamies' s childhood at this point in the story. How do you think his
childhood experiences made him the man he is now....?

8. On Quarter Day, does Jamie seem like the one who is in charge or does Jenny?

9. After Jenny's baby is born, Jamie says to Claire that its just as well that she's barren because
he could not stand Claire's pain. Do you think he really means it?

10. When Jamie is taken by the watch, how does Jenny show her true character? Should she have
stayed with her newborn?

Wrap-up of Parts One Through Five- Outlander

1. What is the best plot development of the book so far?

2. Who is the most intriguing minor character so far?(i.e. - Ned Gowan, Mrs.
Graham, etc.)

3. Who is the most intriguing major character so far? (i.e. - Geillis, Dougal, Colum, Black Jack, Jenny, Ian, etc.)

4. What is the best scene of the book so far?

5. Were there any parts of the plot that you did not like?

6. Were there any characters that you would just as soon not have met?

7. If you could have frozen Jamie and Claire at any moment in time of the story, what would it have been?

8. What element of the story so far did you find the most surprising?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 5-- Outlander

"Lallybroch"
Chapters 26-33

1. While discussing Geillis' crimes and Claire's past, Jamie defines being a good husband as having money, a good position, and not beating his wife (in reference to Arthur Duncan). Does Jamie qualify as a good husband at this point?

{Giggle} Obviously, Jamie doesn't see the irony of this right off. He does see the difference between beating and justice later in this Part..

Well-run, well-kept, prosperous, working estate. It was a bit more than I expected it to be. Jamie keeps talking about not having anything to offer in marriage, but Lallybroch is definitely worth offering. I guess it's just that since Jamie is a wanted man, he cannot claim his inheritance.

3. What is your reaction to Jamie and Jenny's relationship? How did you feel about their fight?

Had to laugh. Jamie doesn't have much luck getting his women to listen to him. I think their fight follows a pattern long established in their childhood. They'll go toe-to-toe and shout themselves hoarse, but nothing said or done will break the depth of their bond.

Ian is loyal, down-to-earth, loving and knows how to handle Jenny in his own quiet way.

5. This is our first real "domestic" glance at Jamie and Claire. What is your feeling about their relationship at this point?

This small space of peace gives them time to establish a husband/wife relationship. They've been through so much, they need this quiet time. I think both would be happy to stay right where they are.

Grannie knew her son was doing more than giving Rabbie a spanking. He was a drunk and using his fists on the boy. She feared for Rabbie's life and had the courage to so something about it. I think she handled the redcoats very well; feigning an obsequiousness she didn't feel. I don't think Grannie would quail before anyone.

7. We find out a a lot about Jamies' s childhood at this point in the story. How do you think his childhood experiences made him the man he is now?

"The good Lord kens weel enough that boys were meant to be smacked, or he'd not ha' filled 'em sae full o' the de'il." I think Grannie McNab's description fits Jamie as a child, and maybe even now as an adult. I also think he was the leader in whatever mischief there was to be had. Jamie is kind of a "damn the torpedoes and full speed ahead" guy. Stubborn as rocks.

Jamie is the one who talks to the tenants, so he's definitely in charge. Jenny probably organized the whole affair.

Jenny and Ian were much more than house-sitters at Lallybroch. For all the years that Jamie was gone, they ran the estate, made the decisions, did the work. Yes, Jamie was the titular laird, but he was in no position at the time, or possibly in the future, to take up his inheritance. It kind of surprised me that he was setting things up to take the estate in the direction he wanted it to go, when he had had no hand in the running of it for years and was planning to leave again for who knows how long.

9. After Jenny's baby is born, Jamie says to Claire that its just as well that she's barren because he could not stand Claire's pain. Do you think he really means it?

Yes. Women dying in childbirth was not at all uncommon at the time and Jamie doesn't want to lose Claire. Men don't know how to handle the pain women go through to give birth. It's always hard to watch a loved one suffer. After my second was born ... and I insisted my DH be in the labor room with me ... all he kept saying to people was that he didn't know how I didn't pass out with the pain. He was upset for weeks after.

BTW, why would Gellie tell Jamie that Claire was barren? What gave her that idea? If there was something about that, I don't remember it..

10. When Jamie is taken by the watch, how does Jenny show her true character? Should she have stayed with her newborn?

No. Jamie would have already left if Jenny hadn't given birth to Maggie when she did. I think Jenny feels somewhat guilty about that.

Maggie was in good hands with Mrs. Crook and Ian and Jenny knows she can't stay away long. Jenny is the kind of person that just does what needs to be done and she needs to go after Jamie.

The witch trial and Jamie's rescue of Claire. A lot comes of that.

We find out about Dougal and Gellie. BTW, that sheds some light on the scene where Dougal drops Claire off at Gellie's house and she takes Dougal into the kitchen to give him a tonic for Colum. Gellie comes back somewhat flushed, so we can guess what went on in the kitchen or wherever they went. Then later she gives Claire a note which is ostensibly a bill to be paid. She tells Claire to give it to no one but Dougal. It was probably something to do with the Stuart cause.

Claire finds out that Gellie is a time traveler like herself. Claire's confession to Jamie. His decision to take her to Craigh Na Dun. Claire's decision to stay with Jamie, and finally, Jamie's decision to go home to Lallybroch.

Graham, etc.)

Ned Gowan. I can just see that runty little guy wielding a sword that is probably bigger than he is. He had a dream and had the courage to pursue it.

3. Who is the most intriguing major character so far? (i.e. - Geillis, Dougal, Colum, Black Jack, Jenny, Ian, etc.)

Gellie. There was so much we didn't know about until she was in the theive's hole with Claire, but there's still a lot we don't know.

Just too many great scenes to pick one. The Wedding. Return to Leoch. Rescue at Cranesmuir.

I can't think of anything offhand. Everything goes to advance the story and Jamie and Claire's relationship and I can accept it all from that point of view.

No. All the characters have some importance to the story. I would like to have met Brian and Ellen Fraser.

7. If you could have frozen Jamie and Claire at any moment in time of the story, what would it have been?

Probably the "I love you" scene at Lallybroch. The way DG wrote it, you couldn't tell which one said it, so it was probably both. It was a perfect moment.

That Gellie was a time-traveler.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In view of the events in Parts 6 and 7, this week's reading, I thought I would post a more suitable recipe.

Cherry Bomb Scottish

Amaretto first in a wee glass with ice. Then add Midori and top it up wi' cranberry juice. Tastes just like cherry cola so it does.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Granny MacNab - that was so funny when she kept sitting on Jamie's clothes, instead of quickly giving them to Claire to bring to Jamie. Then Jamie's comment that he almost froze his parts off, LOL!!
*I guess we are all reading about the Kindle 2. I am, so I'll have to come back to answer the questions. Those are really great questions, Gertie. Very thought provoking.
*What I LOVE about this book is all the emotions that I have gone through - to near tears, okay, okay, a few shed to laughter. Then, all the surprises. The surprises keep floating in my mind as if I am sharing a secret with someone. They become very special

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Part 5-- Outlander

"Lallybroch"
Chapters 26-33
1.While discussing Geillis' crimes and Claire's past, Jamie defines being a good husband as having money, a good position, and not beating his wife (in reference to Arthur Duncan). Does Jamie qualify as a good husband at this point?

Yes, that was funny. He regularly tells Claire he has no money, no position and he beat her. Turns out he is well off, has a good position and he beat her. Except he seems to make a distinction between beating and appropriate punishment like he received from his father and the beating he gave Claire.

I was expecting something smaller and less profitable. From the way he talked it seemed like he was never going to go back there which would be why he would not meet criteria one and two for a good husband.

3. What is your reaction to Jamie and Jenny's relationship? How did you feel about their fight?

She sure prepared him for Claire. A mind of her own and willing to talk back and stand up for herself - I like her. Seems like none of the women in Jamie's life know how to take orders. His mother runs off a marries to please herself, his sister has a mind of her own and uses it, and Claire - well we all know about what Claire thinks of following orders.
Seems like shouting is how the Fraser kids work out their problems. This is a side of Jamie that isn't too pleasant. This is his sister, so what if every thing he had heard was true.

Quietly strong. He sure knows how to handle a Fraser. Very much in love with Jenny.

"Frasers dinna listen to anything when they've their danders up. When they've shouted themselves out, sometimes ye can make them see reason, but not till then.

Here they finally get to be a married couple, so needed. They need this down time to be normal and just be around each other and build their relationship. So they went home for their honeymoon instead of going away.

Gabaldon writes some of the best minor characters. Mrs Graham, Mrs Fitz, Ned Gowen and Grannie MacNab. Grannie MacNab is great, negotiation with Jamie when he's in the cold water. Ya gotta love her. With her grandson, she obviously new what was going on and wanted to help him. And the way she dealt with the redcoats was great. She sure used their preconceived ideas about her to her full benefit. Do you think Claire learned anything about finesse?

7. We find out a lot about Jamies's childhood at this point in the story. How do you think his childhood experiences made him the man he is now....?
Jamie uses stories about his childhood to help explain himself to Claire.
The story of his brother gave us a lot of insight into Jamie as well as the stories of how his father treated him. Based on Jamie's stories (and how Jamie turned out) his father was a fair man who didn't shirk from what needed to be done (sound like anyone we've met so far?). Jamie obviously admired him, quoting him to explain things to Claire about why he thought and acted the way he did.

Jamie is the front man and in charge but Jenny is running things behind the scenes. Jenny and Ian have been running things so she knows more about what's going on than Jamie.

gertiekindle said:
Jenny and Ian were much more than house-sitters at Lallybroch. For all the years that Jamie was gone, they ran the estate, made the decisions, did the work. Yes, Jamie was the titular laird, but he was in no position at the time, or possibly in the future, to take up his inheritance. It kind of surprised me that he was setting things up to take the estate in the direction he wanted it to go, when he had had no hand in the running of it for years and was planning to leave again for who knows how long.
Another sign of Jamie's stubbornness? His belief that men have an inherent right to certain things?

9. After Jenny's baby is born, Jamie says to Claire that its just as well that she's barren because he could not stand Claire's pain. Do you think he really means it?

Gellie did a lot of things that didn't make sense unless she wanted to get rid of Claire. Helping Laoghaire, telling Jamie Claire couldn't have children, drugging Claire. Other people thought Claire was a spy; did she think so too and want to get rid of Claire?

I think part of Jamie does mean that he is glad and part of him doesn't. He's so good with kids I can't believe he doesn't want kids but he also doesn't want to lose Claire - a very real danger in childbirth in that time.

10. When Jamie is taken by the watch, how does Jenny show her true character? Should she have stayed with her newborn?

I think Jenny has shown her true character all along. She is an intelligent, strong, stubborn woman. She does probably feel responsible for what happened to Jamie. In addition to his staying for her, she helped raise him and feels responsible for him.

I have to agree on the witch trial and the rescue. So much of what came before was leading up to that. The story came together here. So many seemingly unconnected pieces started to gel. In addition it was also a turning point for Claire and Jamie. Claire seems to have finally realized that she needs to lean on and trust Jamie as he did when she took care of him. Jamie learns about Claire's past and she figures out where she wants to be. All of this happened because of the witch trial and rescue.

2. Who is the most intriguing minor character so far? (i.e. - Ned Gowan, Mrs. Graham, etc.)

They are all so interesting. I like the women but I love Ned Gowan. Here is someone who follows his heart. Not many people have the courage to leave what is known and then are able to make an important place for themselves in a new place.

2. Who is the most intriguing major character so far? (i.e. - Geillis, Dougal, Colum, Black Jack, Jenny, Ian, etc.)

For me it has been Geillis. She sure didn't start that way though.

"There was so much we didn't know about until she was in the theive's hole with Claire, but there's still a lot we don't know."
A hint of what's to come?

3.What is the best scene of the book so far?

How do you pick just one? Going back to the beginning, the scene with Claire and Frank's coffee, Claire and Jamie's wedding, the thieves hole, the whole time at Lallybroch. Of course I absolutely loved the part with Nessie. How great was it that Claire got to me a waterhorse.

This is such a tightly written story that even the parts that were difficult to read were important to the story.

All the characters so far have been important to the story.

"I would like to have met Brian and Ellen Fraser."
I feel like I have met them by the way Jamie and Jenny have talked about them. And I think a lot of Brian and Ellen are in these two people.

I wouldn't have frozen Jamie and Claire anywhere. Their relationship is still growing and it's only going to get stronger because of the experiences they are having.

Hands down Gellie was a time-traveler. I so did not see that one coming.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
gertiekindle said:
In view of the events in Parts 6 and 7, this week's reading, I thought I would post a more suitable recipe.

Cherry Bomb Scottish

Amaretto first in a wee glass with ice. Then add Midori and top it up wi' cranberry juice. Tastes just like cherry cola so it does.
I'm definitely going to have to give this one a try.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Lallybroch"
Chapters 26-33

Well, let's see: Jamie has no money, as he tells Claire he may only be able to provide a haystack for a bed. He is an outlaw on the run from the British. He beat Claire for running away. So, I guess according to his own definition, he is a miserable failure. But he gives Claire himself, and that is everything.

Lallybroch was much larger and more prosperous than I thought. Jamie never talked much about where he grew up.

Jamie and Jenny are a lot alike, and that is why they fought the way they did. They are also very close, and Jenny sees things much more clearly than Jamie does. The strain when they first meet is all because neither understood what had really happened with the other with Black Jack.

Ian is the perfect complement to Jenny. He is calm, but firm when he has to be. He also doesn't get upset about Jamie and Jenny fighting, is seems like the normal way of life.

I think they are adjusting to being married and enjoying a normal life for the first time.

I really liked her. She could really see Claire and accepted her. I loved her story to the British about Claire being unhinged. She was a very sharp old lady.

7. We find out a alot about Jamies' s childhood at this point in the story. How do you think his childhood experiences made him the man he is now....?
Jamie was unusual in that he respected women as people. I think the lessons his father taught him shaped him and were the reason he has survived as long as he had and had such a strong moral center.

Jamie seemed to settle right into his role as laird, but Jenny kept things running behind the scenes. I guess life has not changed in some ways.

I think Jamie is torn. He wants a child with Claire, but I think he would have a very difficult time watching her go through that. He had almost lost her 4 times already, so he is now overly protective. Maybe he also hoped this would make her feel better about not being pregnant. He is also trying, I think to adjust to the fact that they will not have children.

This is the point where she really shows how much she is like Jamie. She knows the baby will be ok, but doesn't think about herself. She just does what she thinks is the right thing to do.

It would have to be when Jamie gives Claire his ring and the night that follows. This is when they really become a married couple. The whole series revolves around this point.

Graham, etc.)
I enjoyed Mrs. Fitzgibbons. When Dougal and his crew come flying in with a strange woman, she just takes Claire in and takes care of her and Jamie. She understands that there is something different about Claire, but doesn't question it. She treats her as an equal and takes her under her wing.

Dougal fascinates me. He is very loyal to the clan, but there is also an undercurrent to everything he does. Why did he force Jamie and Claire to marry, for instance? This was not planned ahead of time, and he still thinks Claire is a spy, so is this for the benefit of the clan, or his personal gain so that he can keep Jamie from becoming laird and still keep Claire close. I think he wants Claire, and is trying to bide his time to have her.

Jamie giving Claire his ring, and telling her that he will not force himself on her, but that she will have his protection as his wife, if that is what she wants. Jamie loves Claire completely, but is willing to live separately if that is what she wants.

I hated the part about Jamie being flogged and why, but it is an important part of the story.

I really did not like the priest, Father Bain.

When they were happy at Lallybroch.

That Dougal had an affair and a child with Geillie Duncan.

·
Registered
261 Posts

I think the fight was all Jenny's doing - she could have ended it at any time just by saying "Randall-didn't-attack-me-and-I-married-Ian-and-Jamie-is-his-child" - but she didn't. I think she wanted to punish Jamie a bit for not communicating with her at all to find out how she fared. She also hasn't seen him for several years, so she's not sure what kind of man he has become - I think she was baiting him a little to see what his reactions would be.

Claire finally admitting to Jamie that she came from the future, which leads him to take her back to the stones.

Prior to this point he does think that she is unique, but it probably annoys him as much as it attracts him that she does not act like other women of the times - he doesn't understand why she acts that way, and it frustrates him. After that point, he is loving her for who she really is, not who he thinks she is, and he treats her differently. It changes the whole dynamic between them - no more secrets. Claire disobeyed him by going to see Gellie - she promised him she wouldn't - but he didn't punish her this time, did he?

It also shows his true character, that he was willing to give her up and let it be her decision to stay or go. His #1 priority was the best place for her to be - regardless of what that may do to him. (Would Frank have done that?)

Even though she already chose to stay with him once - when she accepted his ring - I don't think he really accepts that she loves him back, untill she comes back to him at the cabin.

mumsicalwhimsy said:
BTW, why would Gellie tell Jamie that Claire was barren? What gave her that idea? If there was something about that, I don’t remember it..
I can't see how telling Jamie that would have any benefit for Gellie - and you know she didn't do anything that didn't benefit herself - all I can think of is that either she just loved to stir up trouble, or she wanted to be able to claim credit for things that had nothing to do with her. As long as Claire remained non-pregnant, Gellie would be 'right', and if Claire became pregnant, Gellie would've claimed one of her potions did it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't had a chance to answer the questions for the past two weeks. I finally caught up, so here goes:

According to his own criteria, he is not but he may not be all those things but he a good husband in other ways.

It sounds like it's totally different from Leoch. I picture Leoch as been disorderly and really old, buildings on top of each other. Lallybroch seems newer and less cluttered, cleaner, spread out.

I was quite surprised at the yelling at each other. I was also surprised at Jamie being so quick to judge Jenny before finding out her side of the story.

He seems very laid back; probably a perfect fit for Jenny.

At this point they are really comfortable with each other. It's sad because they are so happy at Lallybroch but they both know they have leave eventually.

She's really sharp and on the ball.

7. We find out a alot about Jamies' s childhood at this point in the story. How do you think his childhood experiences made him the man he is now....?
At this point in the book I thought it was a bit tedious. It went on and on about Jamie's beatings by his dad. I was thinking enough already.

I think they are equally in charge. Jenny with the domestic type duties, (making sure there's food and drink for the tenants), and Jamie with the business part.

9. After Jenny's baby is born, Jamie says to Claire that its just as well that she's barren because
No I don't. Jamie loves children and is good with them, of course he wants his own eventually. I think he's just trying to make Claire feel better.

10. When Jamie is taken by the watch, how does Jenny show her true character? Should she have
stayed with her newborn?
I don't know. I can't believe she went after him, with no discussion with her husband. Would that really happen?

Graham, etc.)
I kind of want to know what the ladies at the circle were doing at the stones at the beginning of the book. Do they know what happens there?

Geillie! I want to know her story!

When Claire decided to stay with Jamie.

Again, going on and on about the beatings by Jamie's father.

None that I can think of.

Probably at Lallybroch.

That Claire didn't go back; part of me thought she might go back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just one thing I found interesting was when Murtagh says:

"I've yet to see the auld woman believes in witches, nor the young one, neither.  It's men think there must be ill-wishes and magic in women, when it's only the natural way of the creatures."

So true.  I think this a really enlightened for Murtagh to say for the time period. 

·
Registered
1,845 Posts

I think he did. Having a 2 1/2 year old myself, I can still remember the pained look in my husband's face when I would have any kind of pregnancy pain - heartburn, my pinched siacia nerve, struggling to stand, etc. He told me that he felt helpless and guilty since he "put" me in this position. During labor, he was a champ but I could see the worry on his face as well.

stayed with her newborn?

Here I am really torn. I don't know if I would have left my newborn. But since it wasn't her firstborn maybe she felt she could be more trusting with others to take care of her. I did feel for her when she felt engorged and needed to extract milk. I wouldn't even stay late at work because of that. :)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Toby said:
*What I LOVE about this book is all the emotions that I have gone through - to near tears, okay, okay, a few shed to laughter. Then, all the surprises. The surprises keep floating in my mind as if I am sharing a secret with someone. They become very special
That's why we all love these books so much. I just finished reading Outlander for the umpteenth time, and I held my breath, laughed and cried just like I did the first time.

imallbs said:

Gabaldon writes some of the best minor characters. Mrs Graham, Mrs Fitz, Ned Gowen and Grannie MacNab.
And Murtagh, don't forget him. I just love Murtagh.

Grannie MacNab is great, negotiation with Jamie when he's in the cold water. Ya gotta love her. With her grandson, she obviously new what was going on and wanted to help him. And the way she dealt with the redcoats was great. She sure used their preconceived ideas about her to her full benefit. Do you think Claire learned anything about finesse?
Nope, don't think she did.

"There was so much we didn't know about until she was in the theive's hole with Claire, but there's still a lot we don't know."
A hint of what's to come?
Maybe, maybe not. ;D

This is such a tightly written story that even the parts that were difficult to read were important to the story.
Well put. There were a lot of very intense scenes in this book and I usually have a hard time reading those types of scenes. But with this book, I was just too afraid of missing something.

tlshaw said:
But he gives Claire himself, and that is everything.[/color]
:'( :'(

It would have to be when Jamie gives Claire his ring and the night that follows. This is when they really become a married couple. The whole series revolves around this point.
That scene always gets to me. Some very powerful emotions pulling these two people.

mumsicalwhimsy said:
BTW, why would Gellie tell Jamie that Claire was barren? What gave her that idea? If there was something about that, I don't remember it..

Hi, GertieKindle...
About Gellie and fertility... didn't she dwell deeply in prevention of or termination of pregnancy. Perhaps, because of her perception of their friendship, she may have felt Claire felt the same. That is about all I can come up with, without going back there myself. Let's face it, Gellie was not as honest as she could be.
No, she wasn't. Secrets were her life; those of the people who came to her for help, and her background and purpose in being there in that time and place.

bosslady said:
I can't see how telling Jamie that would have any benefit for Gellie - and you know she didn't do anything that didn't benefit herself - all I can think of is that either she just loved to stir up trouble, or she wanted to be able to claim credit for things that had nothing to do with her. As long as Claire remained non-pregnant, Gellie would be 'right', and if Claire became pregnant, Gellie would've claimed one of her potions did it!
Planning ahead? Covering her bases? Yes, I think you may be right about that.

lesliejoy said:
I don't know. I can't believe she went after him, with no discussion with her husband. Would that really happen?
I think Ian knew Jenny would go after Jamie. He did what Jenny asked and didn't try to stop her. I don't think a discussion was necessary between these two. They understand each other so well, and Ian is as attached to Jamie as Jenny is.

Graham, etc.)
I kind of want to know what the ladies at the circle were doing at the stones at the beginning of the book. Do they know what happens there?
I don't think they know. I think what they do is just a ritual that has been passed down. At the end of the dance, they walk through the split stones. They are obviously not prepared for one of them to be transported back considering the fact they are all wearing bedsheets. ;D

lesliejoy said:
Just one thing I found interesting was when Murtagh says:

"I've yet to see the auld woman believes in witches, nor the young one, neither. It's men think there must be ill-wishes and magic in women, when it's only the natural way of the creatures."

So true. I think this a really enlightened for Murtagh to say for the time period.
Yes, I think it was very perceptive of Murtagh to say that. He seems like such a dour little man (canty wee bird?), but I think he spends a lot of time thinking.

mom133d said:

Here I am really torn. I don't know if I would have left my newborn. But since it wasn't her firstborn maybe she felt she could be more trusting with others to take care of her. I did feel for her when she felt engorged and needed to extract milk. I wouldn't even stay late at work because of that. :)
I know I wouldn't have had the courage to jump on a horse and go tearing across the countryside a week after I gave birth.

I can't wait until next week when we discuss the final chapters.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
bosslady said:

I think the fight was all Jenny's doing - she could have ended it at any time just by saying "Randall-didn't-attack-me-and-I-married-Ian-and-Jamie-is-his-child" - but she didn't. I think she wanted to punish Jamie a bit for not communicating with her at all to find out how she fared. She also hasn't seen him for several years, so she's not sure what kind of man he has become - I think she was baiting him a little to see what his reactions would be.
I don't know if the fight was all Jenny's doing but she sure pushed it forward. I think that once she got mad, Jenny decided to let Jamie hang himself, then she really got mad. And she probably did want to make him pay some for worrying her so baited him some to see what would happen. But how hurtful for her was it to hear her brother call her a whore. They were apparently very close and he has completely turned on her (from her point of view). I think they were both at fault, him for being judgmental and her for being not speaking up. Besides, from Ian's reaction, it seems like this is a common communication style for Jamie and Jenny; they might like living at the top of their lungs.

gertiekindle said:
And Murtagh, don't forget him. I just love Murtagh.
No, I can't forget Murtagh. He's turned into one of my favorites. I didn't peg him as someone Jamie could count on so, for me, he was one of the surprising elements in this story.

Toby said:
Granny MacNab - that was so funny when she kept sitting on Jamie's clothes, instead of quickly giving them to Claire to bring to Jamie. Then Jamie's comment that he almost froze his parts off, LOL!!
That was one of my favorite parts too. I read it several times because it made me laugh so much.

gertiekindle said:
This was a surprise to me as well. I don't remember reading anything about it earlier in the book. Does anyone else remember this coming up before the conversation between Claire and Jamie?

It seems like I keep coming up with more and more surprises. I was still completely shocked by Gellie being a time traveler so it remains the biggest surprise for me but there are so many other surprises - big and small. That's one of the many things that makes me like this book so much.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
bosslady said:

Claire finally admitting to Jamie that she came from the future, which leads him to take her back to the stones.

This was a really big plot development. From here on Claire could be completely truthful with Jamie. Following the stay at Lallybroch, Claire knew so much about Jamie that he didn't have many secrets left either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts