Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious here to get some perspective, as another late summer/fall season of "too much to do" begins.  Outside of my appetite for books, I've got a lot of things that keep me busy.  Where I'm from, my extracurricular's are not exactly the norm.  So I wondered whether I was atypical on a wider scale!  What do you get up to when you're not reading (or writing)?

Here's my life in a nutshell:

Day job as a Lead PC tech for a global manufacturing company, which obviously takes up a lot of my time.
Amateur musician (singer, study guitar sporadically, play saxophone and recorder, plunk on the piano occasionally, and do amateur barbershop multitracks)
Single father of a teenager (high school senior)
Band Booster (supporter of the Mt. Vernon High School Marching Wildcat band, fund-raiser, donater, time spender, helper, assistant stuff carrier, and all around jack of all trades)

That's the gist of it.  Oh, occasionally I'll go out and sing karaoke, have a couple of beers, and dance with a pretty girl.  But, especially with the marching band activities, I'm pretty much tied up from the end of July through November.  I'm a busy guy!  It's amazing I ever find time to read a book!

Anyone else have a full schedule?

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Well, I work for a local municipality 4 days a week.  Living on a 10 acre place with horses, donkeys, dogs and a cat can be a job in itself!  I also have two rather large aquariums and there is a lot to do with maintenance on them.  But, my #1 hobby is reading and I've read more since I bought my Kindle than before.  In the fall (during baseball playoffs especially) I knit hats for the troops.  So, that's my exciting life.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Taking care of a 4yr old, running errands and trying to keep up with the house and garden, and FB games.  That is the majority of my life.  That doesn't make me sound very exciting does it?  Luckily I have a good imagination.

Dawn

Oh, and I have a slew of pets.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Gym in the morning, washing and sorting golf balls after that (we sell them around here), writing my book for an hour or so, golf in the afternoon, beer or wine and bed. Full day here also.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Well a majority of my day is spent with my kids. My 5 year old is autistic so I'm usually shuffling her around for therapy. She currently does around 50+ hours a week of therapy. Then I also have a 3 year old. Between the two kids I've always got tons of housework. I'm also in school full time finishing my bachelors and then, in a few years, off to grad school for my masters in publishing. During my down time I'm reading for my review site or editing for my business. I'm always amazed by what I can do when I push myself. This fall I plan on adding working out to my lineup. Shouldn't be too hard since I have a bit of downtime during therapy and I can multitask by reading. :)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Kids and chores, I don't have much time for anything else :)  No, that's a lie, I get to sit down sometimes, or even lie down if I'm lucky.  But again, I'm exaggerating.  I don't really have many out-of-the-house hobbies but I make time to play games, or to watch a DVD or something if I'm in the mood.  Oh, and I read quite a bit.  And of course I do a lot of family stuff, going to playgrounds or on walks or drives, that kind of thing.  I'm a firm believer that the worst thing a writer could do is write all the time, you really do need other things to charge yourself up with.  With that said, probably ninety percent of my 'free time' is spent on writing-related activities :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
Two kids (one of whom I homeschool), four pets, an elderly mother and MIL to assist, and traveling in our RV.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I am at the dog park with my lab for at least 2 hours 3-4 times a week. I meet with a group of regulars (we all leave at the same time once it gets dark.)

I am addicted to YouTube.

I also am working on school ahead of time. Getting my anatomy lab flashcards ready. (Printing, labeling, glue, and all.)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I sew whenever I can, also take care of my 2 grandchildren 3 days a week so that keeps me busy.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Tons! Aside from the day job, three kids, new puppy, new house, all that fun stuff.

But the one guilty pleasure, outside of reading haha, is flying remote controlled helicopters... something about that is just SO relaxing to me!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I wander around outside a lot, taking pictures of bugs. I don't have a job at the moment because I recently graduated, but that will probably change next week (I'm waiting for the final confirmation that I'm hired, and then I'll celebrate). I also like playing video games and once I get my own place, I plan to get into gardening.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I'm retired, so I don't have a schedule for anything.

My normal activities include reading, mountain biking, geocaching, hiking, playing guitar, learning to fly aircraft on flight sims, listening to classical music (not as background music), and working crossword puzzles on my iPad.

Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
I work as a legal secretary, a job I mostly love.  Outside of that, I have a 4 and a 3 year old who keep me fairly busy (and who know exactly what mom's Kindle is  :D).  And when I'm not working or chasing a child, I also love to cook and sew and knit.  I'm often torn between reading and sewing/knitting.  At (almost) 28, I've finally come to the conclusion that I will never live long enough to read all the books I want to read, knit all my yarn, or sew all my patterns.  (This is both depressing and liberating.)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mscott9985 said:
I'm a band booster, too, lol!

I teach at a community college, take care of my family (3 teenagers and a hubby), and write whenever I get the chance. I also like to knit socks.
It's amazing how much time and energy goes into supporting a high school marching band, isn't it? Most of the kids have no idea what their parents do for them. Our booster program goes year round, but it really kicks into high gear right about, oh, yesterday. Theoretically, this is my last year, but my son has expressed a desire to come back as an instructor, so you never know.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It's amazing how much time and energy goes into supporting a high school marching band, isn't it?
Ain't that the truth! This week is band camp for my kids, so it has been crazy. I've fed about 100 kids breakfast, am chaperoning a pool party tonight, a dance tomorrow, and hosting a barbeque for parents and kids on Friday.

I'm so glad that band camp is only once a year!

If this is your last year, be sure to change your name in June before they can find you and make you come back in the fall, lol.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts