Kindle Forum banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Doug DePew said:
I don't know how outside the box it is, but I left marketing sheets in a couple hundred different locations one weekend.
Good old fashioned foot-work - sometimes I forget there's more to this marketing thing than just the Internet. We live near a Hastings and they're actually indie-friendly; they have book signings by local authors occasionally. My latest are ebooks, but they have a big bulletin board...hm...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm following Scott Sigler's approach and recording my newest book as a podcast.  It couldn't be easier to mix it using Audacity, once you get hold of a decent (~$100) microphone.

Plus, I'm a ham, and love to record the mystery a little like a radio drama, with fake advertisers, music, etc. 

This gives me two avenues, audiences, and products to address/sell to.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Bryan R. Dennis said:
I started thinking up stuff my characters might say and posting it on Twitter. For example:

"My circle of friends is so small, it looks like a decimal point." -- Henry Pluck #AnEpitaphforCoyote

"A girl waved, so I waved back. She was waving at someone behind me." -- Henry Pluck #AnEpitaphforCoyote

A couple of these have been retweeted. Will it have an affect on sales? Who knows? But it can't hurt.
That is actually genius.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
James Finn Garner said:
I'm following Scott Sigler's approach and recording my newest book as a podcast.
Sounds fun and innovative! You'll have to let us know how that goes. I can't see myself doing something like that though, mostly because just getting a simple recording right (The Indie-author Lament) took multiple takes. Even hiding in the back room to get away from the barking, shouting and videogame music, I still messed up repeatedly (d'Oh! d'Oh!) and had a hoarse voice by the time I got it right. :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
Will Granger said:
How about this for an outside the box idea? I was in several Apple stores recently and checked out some iPads and pulled up my book pages on Amazon and just left them there for other people to find. I have no idea if this helped, and it probably didn't, but you never know.
Another genius idea. Open your novel up in the iBookstore while in the Apple store.

·
Registered
41 Posts
RE: The podcast --

I did most of the first recordings while the kids were still in school, of course! Used the old toy closet in the basement, lined it with towels, and made sure the phone didn't ring and the furnace didn't kick on. Now I'm mixing them on a schedule of one chapter every two weeks. Once September comes again, I'll record the rest.

If you're curious how they sound, you can download one from : http://rexkoko.libsyn.com

Brought to you by Radiumint Toothpaste. With real radium! For a smile as bright as your watch dial at night, use Radiumint!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
James Finn Garner said:
RE: The podcast --

If you're curious how they sound, you can download one from : http://rexkoko.libsyn.com
Funny! I listened until I had to quickly shut it off because my son was in the room (FWIW, my son really wanted to hear it, too, but he's 8 and the language was a bit strong for his ears). Your voice sounds quite professional. I'm going to share Rex Koko with my FB friends...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry if the language was too rough!  I carefully avoided cursing in this (except for a GD once in a while), just because it doesn't fit the era much.  And besides, some of the other lingo was so much more fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
James Finn Garner said:
Sorry if the language was too rough! I carefully avoided cursing in this (except for a GD once in a while), just because it doesn't fit the era much. And besides, some of the other lingo was so much more fun!
That's okay! My boy's at that age where he's TRYING to listen for these mysterious Words he isn't supposed to know. I had to clear my throat loudly everytime I played my song and the word "bitch" came along...LOL

61 - 70 of 70 Posts