Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.  Let me start by saying I really do like my Amazon cover.  The first one I received had two 'bubbles' on the front so Amazon sent a replacement.  This one is perfect.  One thing, though:  I have only had it for four days and the spine is already starting to look worn, it has some wrinkles in it from opening and closing.  I fold the cover back when I read.  Can anybody who has the Amazon cover let me know if yours is doing the same thing?  I really like the cover but want to know if this is happening to other covers as soon.
Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine has wrinkles.  This normal wear with leather.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Yes. I mentioned this last week as well and finally got around to taking pictures last night. They're not great, but...

I'm not happy with the way the spine is wearing at all. Overall, I like the cover, but I plan on sending it back. I have been holding out as long as I can, hoping either the M-Edge or Oberon gets here soon.
Wow, mine looks like new compared to that. :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think ours are out of the same batch, luv!  I just requested my 2nd replacement cover, hoping that the 3rd time is going to be a charm.  Better put my Borsa Bella 9x6 case on hold until I figure out what I am doing! I'll need her 10x7 case if I end up w/a different cover all together.

·
Registered
335 Posts
OK, I hate to say it, but you guys are complaining about leather being leather.

And you're actually returning product over this?

Have you never had a leather sofa?  A leather jacker?

If that sort of thing bothers you, you really should get a different sort of cover.  Leather will always wear like this.  The Oberon covers will even do this after enough time.  Their covers will take much longer because the leather they use is much thicker.  But eventually they will also get "wrinkles".

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
nelamvr6 said:
OK, I hate to say it, but you guys are complaining about leather being leather.

And you're actually returning product over this?

Have you never had a leather sofa? A leather jacket?

If that sort of thing bothers you, you really should get a different sort of cover. Leather will always wear like this. The Oberon covers will even do this after enough time. Their covers will take much longer because the leather they use is much thicker. But eventually they will get "wrinkles"
I think this is more than just leather being leather. It's not really the wrinkles that bother me... It's the "dents" for lack of a better term, at both ends of the spine. It makes the case look lumpy.

I do understand that leather wears and will get wrinkles. I've had several leather covers from M-Edge (4 of them) and Oberon for my K1 and not one of them has ended up looking like this, especially after only a week or two of use. 1 of the M-Edge did get some creasing on the spine after several months, but it still looked pretty sharp otherwise, not wrinkled and lumpy.

·
Registered
335 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I think this is more than just leather being leather. It's not really the wrinkles that bother me... It's the "dents" for lack of a better term, at both ends of the spine. It makes the case look lumpy.

I do understand that leather wears and will get wrinkles. I've had several leather covers from M-Edge (4 of them) and Oberon for my K1 and not one of them has ended up looking like this, especially after only a week or two of use. 1 of the M-Edge did get some creasing on the spine after several months, but it still looked pretty sharp otherwise, not wrinkled and lumpy.
This cover from Amazon has much thinner leather than the covers you mentioned, so it will acquire wrinkles faster.

Are you thinking of getting another of these covers to replace the one you're sending back? Because I believe it will behave in much the same way...

·
Registered
921 Posts
Like luvs, mine is doing the same thing.  My M-edge platform just got here today and the leather does feel a lot better.  I like the hinge system on the amazon cover but I'm thinking about sending it back and getting an M-edge prodigy.  I'll probably hold off from ordering the prodigy though till I see how the platform holds up.  I got the purple platform and it's a really nice (rich) deep purple color and like I said the leather feels a lot better than the amazon cover.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nelamvr6 said:
This cover from Amazon has much thinner leather than the covers you mentioned, so it will acquire wrinkles faster.

Are you thinking of getting another of these covers to replace the one you're sending back? Because I believe it will behave in much the same way...
I hate to take the time to reply but I must. It is the uneven wear, as documented in luvs photos, that is the problem. You can't really be looking at those pictures and think that is normal wear and tear on a product that is less than two weeks old, can you? Of course I realize leather will wrinkle, but her pictures look like a cover made of cardboard, not leather. The first Amazon cover I had didn't do this, and I used it for over a week. The only reason I returned it was because the front cover had two large bumps in the leather. The replacement cover with the spine problems has been used for four days. Not acceptable.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I have both an Oberon and a M-Edge on order.. Again, it's not the creasing/wrinkles I have a problem with.

While my pictures are the greatest, my middle picture shows the "dents" I'm talking about. I really don't see M-Edge or Oberon having this issue:

To have the spine break down like this after about 2 weeks of use just isn't acceptable.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
I have both an Oberon and a M-Edge on order.. Again, it's not the creasing/wrinkles I have a problem with.

While my pictures are the greatest, my middle picture shows the "dents" I'm talking about. I really don't see M-Edge or Oberon having this issue:

To have the spine break down like this after about 2 weeks of use just isn't acceptable.
Makes you really appreciate the Oberon covers. It does look like there is cardboard or something breaking at the spine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm noticing the same thing on mine as well.  The lumpiness of the edge when it's closed from folding it back I assume.  I guess I will see if others have the same issue as well. and I might consider sending it back if I can decide on another case as well.

·
Registered
335 Posts
luvmy4brats said:

The spine hasn't broken down. In fact, there really is no spine. It's just a piece of leather with cloth backing.

If you continue to use it the characteristics of the wrinkles will continue to change. They may even out eventually so they don't appear dented.

You could easily continue using that until you are able to acquire another cover, and then if you still want to send it back do so at that time.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Mine is doing that too.  I've had it for one week.  My guess is they all will do it.  The "spine" is nothing more than a thin piece of leather with no support -- there's really nothing to stop it from happening as far as I can tell.  

·
Registered
335 Posts
LaraAmber said:
Yep, that is definitely not normal. I fold mine back constant and it still has a smooth profile like a book.

Lara Amber
It really is normal. I have had many leather products over the years, many of them have exhibited the same sort of behavior.

Had Amazon used thicker leather it would not have happened quite so quickly, but then again most people would not have liked the supple quality of the leather when new.

Amazon could also have used thicker backing material, but it probably would not have folded back as easily and people would have complained.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had mine for a week also.  It isn't as bad looking as your pictures though.  It looks a little used  from folding it back.  I can feel the edge of the cardboard too.  Otherwise I did like it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts