Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Any way to convert location numbers to real page numbers? I kind of miss them. Besides, location numbers do not make a lot of sense.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Goss said:
Hi. Any way to convert location numbers to real page numbers? I kind of miss them. Besides, location numbers do not make a lot of sense.
No way to change how they are shown on the Kindle. There are a couple of previous threads that talk about the relationship between page numbers and location numbers

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1811.0.html

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,1811.0.html

However, you'll be better off in the long run adapting to the new concept, just as if you moved to a country that uses metric or centigrade. ::)

Think of location numbers as page numbers for the Kindle edition of the book...I think if Amazon had just called them page numbers, people wouldn't have been so confused. Just like page numbers, the location numbers tell you how far along you are in the book, and allow you to go directly to a particular place on a book. The fact that there are multiple locations on each screen that you see is probably what confuses most people, but just pick the first number as your benchmark or page number.

On the Kindle 1, the line of dots at the bottom of the screen show how far along I am in the book. Right now, I'm a little over halfway through the book I'm reading.

Need to know how many locations there are in a book? In the Kindle 1, at least, go to the menu, choose go to location and it'll show the total locations in the book. (I need to get my hands on a Kindle 2 to see how the menus are different. Any one want to donate to the "Buy Betsy a Kindle 2 Fund"? :)) I'm at location 4933 out of 8620.

The beauty, of course, of the locations is that no matter what font size I pick, if I click "Go to Location" and enter 4933, I'll always go to the same point in the book.

Page numbers vary in different editions of a paper book--the paperback, the hard back, the large print edition, the trade paperback. Location numbers are simply the page numbers in the Kindle edition of the book.

Hope this helps!

Betsy

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Thanks Betsy - this has been brought up a lot lately with the new kindle owners and it is confusing at first.  But then that's your job as a mod isn't it? That's what you get the big bucks for?  ;)

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Oh yeah, all us mods get the big bucks. . . sure. . . . .:)

But, hey, we have fun!!

Ann :)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I believe that is the best explanation of location numbers I have ever seen. I had understood the concept before, but now I think I can explain it to someone else. Thank you.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Oh yeah, all us mods get the big bucks. . . sure. . . . .:)

But, hey, we have fun!!

Ann :)
The K2 has the total locations at the end of the progress bar, so you get a better idea of how many more "locations" you need to read without having to go into a menu.

Yeah, we have fun..and we get go into the dark, smoke filled room with Harvey! ;)

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
intinst said:
I believe that is the best explanation of location numbers I have ever seen. I had understood the concept before, but now I think I can explain it to someone else. Thank you.
Thanks (blushes). It's been an evolution over many responses to the question by all the mods, as you'll see if you go to some of the other threads I cited. Hope it's helpful to Goss!

Betsy

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks for the detailed explanation, it's greatly appreciated. I had a vague concept of how it worked, but this really clears it up. As was mentioned, had they simply called it "page number", people would have been far less confused I imagine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts