Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of readers out there still prefer printed over e-book. What is the best strategy to selling paperbacks? I priced mine (using CreateSpace) to profit the same as the e-book. Of course the paperback version is already there on the Amazon page, but is that enough?

What are your paperback sales compared to Kindle/E-book?

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
According to past feedback on this board, I'm a bit of an oddity in that I sell a fair number of paperbacks. The number varies, but I'd be safe in saying it stays between 1,000 - 1,500 per month. This is roughly 20-30% of my total units sold. About 65% of that number is via Amazon/CS, the remainder via wholesale orders and extended distribution. Holidays, esp X-mas time, can skew that number higher.

As far as marketing is concerned, I don't specifically target the non-Ereader audience. My rule is that I promote a title, not an outlet or media. The way I look at it, if I do a good job promoting the book as a whole, PB, audio, and ebook sales will take care of themselves.

All the best. 

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I sell some paperbacks online, but far fewer than ebooks. Although every time I promote an ebook sale to my FB fans at least a few ask for paperbacks!
I think paperbacks are really best for in person sales, if you do book conventions and things like that. And like Joe said, if you promote the book as a whole, then readers will buy their favoured format.

Anyway, I'm just trying to ramble out something useful because I'm really only commenting here to say I LOOOOOOVE your covers!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Selina Fenech said:
I sell some paperbacks online, but far fewer than ebooks. Although every time I promote an ebook sale to my FB fans at least a few ask for paperbacks!
I think paperbacks are really best for in person sales, if you do book conventions and things like that. And like Joe said, if you promote the book as a whole, then readers will buy their favoured format.

Anyway, I'm just trying to ramble out something useful because I'm really only commenting here to say I LOOOOOOVE your covers!
Selina thanks :-*

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I love those covers too!

It's tricky with paperbacks because I think a lot of people like to hold a print book in their hands before they buy it, and unless we sign a distribution deal to get them into shops, it's unlikely that's going to happen.

It'd be great if Createspace could do some coupon codes. Little flash sale of print books would be great.

·
Registered
344 Posts
A lot of people seem to purchase my books after they see them as ebooks.  I sell a fair number of paperbacks, especially after a free book run.  We also make sure on BookGoodies that we link to paperback books if you have them in our main book forms.  Not the free book or bargain book forms of course.  We did however get a request from a few newsletter subscribers asking where the bargain print books were, so we are considering adding that as an option on our site.  But what is considered a bargain price in POD books?  We can't really price very low and still make money on them.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nightfire said:
A lot of people seem to purchase my books after they see them as ebooks. I sell a fair number of paperbacks, especially after a free book run. We also make sure on BookGoodies that we link to paperback books if you have them in our main book forms. Not the free book or bargain book forms of course. We did however get a request from a few newsletter subscribers asking where the bargain print books were, so we are considering adding that as an option on our site. But what is considered a bargain price in POD books? We can't really price very low and still make money on them.
Thanks for the feedback. I priced my paperback as low as possible so that I make the same profit from a $2.99 ebook sale (about $2). Seems fair to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts