Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been umming and arring for a while about starting paperbacks.

I know that a lot of people will format everything themselves, or get someone clever to do it for them. But reading about Kindle Create, it seems like the idea is it does it for you?

My question is, does it work? Or is it still worth going through the process of creating the paperback formatted file yourself?

New territory for me, so cheers for the advice guys.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alhawke said:
Vellum has a feature that formats for paperback. That's what I use. It's super easy to work with and creates a nice looking paperback.
Thanks, Al!

I've heard other people on here talk about Vellum, but never used it myself. Might have to have a read up on it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes, Kindle Create will format your paperback for you. It's fine as long as your book isn't too fancy (e.g. lots of maps and charts.)  There are different styles to choose from so you can just drag your manuscript into it and choose the style you want. Then you just tinker as you see fit.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I just download the template for the size I want from kdp, copy and paste my Word docx into it and check it through. Of course, you don't get any of the fancy lettering like you do with other programs but it suits me. For a cover, once I know what size I want (i.e. how many pages) I go here and download a free template. https://www.bookow.com/resources.php

I think they might do templates for the inside as well, but they are not free. Not sure if it works with all photo editing though; it might only be Photoshop. But, if you use a designer, they will know what to do with the cover.

I've always said that even if I never sell a single paperback, the option is there and that makes the book more professional to the average reader. I think having just the kindle version screams self published.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Think it's something I'm going to try to get into soon.

Audio, on the other hand... I've had a few people asking me when I'm going to make my books available in audio, but the initial outlay (I've heard BAD things about royalty share) and the fact Audible seems to be getting some negative press on another thread are both putting me off a little atm.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Gareth K Pengelly said:
Thanks guys. Think it's something I'm going to try to get into soon.

Audio, on the other hand... I've had a few people asking me when I'm going to make my books available in audio, but the initial outlay (I've heard BAD things about royalty share) and the fact Audible seems to be getting some negative press on another thread are both putting me off a little atm.
Royalty share's not ideal, but you can do royalty share plus, which means paying a smaller amount upfront. But you've still got to share your royalties. If your books aren't very long, you can get some good deals. As to the bad press, I had an email from ACX the other day telling me they were taking on new reviewers and looking into the complaints about returns. I'm waiting for my three book series to be approved, but I think if people are asking for them, you ought to provide them.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doglover said:
Royalty share's not ideal, but you can do royalty share plus, which means paying a smaller amount upfront. But you've still got to share your royalties. If your books aren't very long, you can get some good deals. As to the bad press, I had an email from ACX the other day telling me they were taking on new reviewers and looking into the complaints about returns. I'm waiting for my three book series to be approved, but I think if people are asking for them, you ought to provide them.
Cheers.

Yeah, maybe I should look into getting some quotes anyway.

The first half of my series, the books are all pretty short, quick reads. Like, 40-60k words each.

Later on in the series, however, they balloon up a bit. Think the tenth book in the series is about 130k words, haha.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Garth,

Looks like a lot of people have already responded to your post, so my response may be a bit superfluous.  :p But, here goes, I've been impressed with Createspace's formatting. As others have said, Createspace does well with simple formatting but anything more complicated would give it heartburn.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
flemwriter said:
Hey Garth,

Looks like a lot of people have already responded to your post, so my response may be a bit superfluous. :p But, here goes, I've been impressed with Createspace's formatting. As others have said, Createspace does well with simple formatting but anything more complicated would give it heartburn.
Createspace no longer exists.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts